husky 357 auto decompressor, why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antipesto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, My name's Mike and I'm new to this forum. I have a husqvarna 357xp with an automatic decompressor :censored:
The saw is excellent apart from, you guessed it, the decompressor. Is it possible to remove it and fit a blanking plug into the cylinder (or a manual decomp valve) and do something with the pipe the other end?
The pipe seems to go into the crankcase so could this be blanked off aswell or does it act as a crankcase breather?
Has anybody else done this type of modification?

Wekcome to the AS!!! :cheers:

Husky has done away with it on the newer 357s (and a few other models).

I am sure there is a way to get rid of it - I suggest you ask Spike60 about it, if he doesn't respond here..........

Last edited:
Thanks Sawtroll, hopefully there is a way. I have seen the blanking plugs for the cylinder - part no. 503 55 22-01. It's just the other end of the pipe I'm unsure what to do with :confused:

yes you can put a decomp valve on them.

and you do have to block the pipe off.not sure with what.

i never had a problem with mine.

This one's definitely not sealing and I've never been a fan of decompression valves. I suppose it's down to personal preference. I don't use the one on my 385xp either. It's just something else to go wrong.............................which has :censored:

Hi, My name's Mike and I'm new to this forum. I have a husqvarna 357xp with an automatic decompressor :censored:
The saw is excellent apart from, you guessed it, the decompressor. Is it possible to remove it and fit a blanking plug into the cylinder (or a manual decomp valve) and do something with the pipe the other end?
The pipe seems to go into the crankcase so could this be blanked off aswell or does it act as a crankcase breather?
Has anybody else done this type of modification?

Mike, I think this service bulletin has the information you are looking for, to eliminate the auto decompression. :cheers:

This one's definitely not sealing and I've never been a fan of decompression valves. I suppose it's down to personal preference. I don't use the one on my 385xp either. It's just something else to go wrong.............................which has :censored:

Its there to keep the wear off of the starter assy. So esentially you are causing more things to go wrong by not using some part that makes more things go wrong.....lmao

How many paws have you had to replace?

Its there to keep the wear off of the starter assy. So esentially you are causing more things to go wrong by not using some part that makes more things go wrong.....lmao

I suppose "your damned if you do and damned if you don't" At least with a manual valve you get the choice :)
Are these auto ones prone to going wrong? Just wandering why they came up with a service bulletin :confused:

Freakingstang; That is somewhat correct, but they had some problems with the spring pressure on the early ones, changed suppliers and the problems arose again. I think it was sabotage from the STIHL camp. Anyway they now come with manual decompression valves. Just for the sake of discussion the 359, basically same saw never had the auto decompression feature "GOOD IDEA-BAD DESIGN" JMHO. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was a dumb idea all right, and that's why they did away with it. When that thing fails it can take out the cylinder. Whenever one comes in the shop I recommend switching it over. Just did one yesterday in fact.

Parts I use are: Cylinder plug--503552201
Protective cap--537180001
Clamp--537320901

You can also use the standard deco in place of the plug.

Spike, ever have any manual decomps leak?

If so, how do you tell before it wipes out the cylinder. I have several with 0 failures but it seems like carbon could lodge in the valve seat causing it remain partially open.

If so, how do you tell before it wipes out the cylinder. I have several with 0 failures but it seems like carbon could lodge in the valve seat causing it remain partially open.

Yes, I have seen them fail, but never to the point that it wipes the saw. I think that with the automatic ones, once it leaks, it's leaking in two directions. One up top at the cylinder, and back through the port at the base.

A thought.......

IF you installed a larger hose and took out the valving just think how much less fuel you would use,,,,,and if you block off the muffler zero emissions......

hmmmmm but where would we put that famous Jonsered "turbo"......

Autodecompressor failure

Jonsered had a service bulletin stating that the rubber hose on the 2156 was prone to failure, and they were reverting to the standard valve for the time being, that was a while ago..

Bruno the bear

Jonsered 2149W
2152CWH
2153CWH
2156CWH
Husky 365 Zama carb 1997
136 POS
Stihl MS200T
MS361VW Arctic

Latest posts

Back