Husky 357 Xp Or Stihl Ms361....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am however addicted to Stihl RM Chain, and seem to spend more time in the Stihl shop so in order to minimize the "Abuse" I get for running a Husky, I might lean towards the 361...but keep wearing my Husky Hats.:)

Dingeryote

Yes, I am addicted too. That stuff gets wicked sharp, takes a beating and lasts.

Everything you need to know has been said, but that never stops me from chiming in:). I would smile all day long cutting with either, but my preference is the 357.

Since you're used to Stihl, why not stay loyal though and go with a good machine that you'll instantly be familiar with? As long as there is a good dealer close by, go for it! :cheers:

Yes, I am addicted too. That stuff gets wicked sharp, takes a beating and lasts.

One of these days I'm gonna sweet talk a gent I know into doing analysis on a chunk of the Red Oak we have around here.
The stuff has gotta be 5% Silica. If you cut at dusk the sparks fly.
Only the RM will put up with it.
Stihl hit the ball outta the park with that chain!!

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

Stihl RM chain is all I use on my larger saws. Good stuff.

As for the bucking saw, I would suggest looking at the 441 or the 372. 50 cords is a lot of firewood. If you are going to be mostly bucking, the larger weight and size of the saw is not as critical, as the saw weight is on the bar and wood. If you are falling and limbing and doing all-around cutting, then the 361 is nice becasue of the lighter weight. I dunno about the other Husky, but I do not like outboard clutches. I have gotten rid of every saw that I have had with one. They clog up a lot more, they are a pain to remove, they make rim swapping 10x harder to do, and if you grease your needle bearings as often as you should, and/or swap out rims sizes, and/or clean out the clutch drum, you will be pulling off the clutch drum a lot more than once every other a year. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
"In a survey of 3,200 foresters 41% favored Husky, 40% favored Stihl, nuff said"

88.53% of statistics are made up on the spot..

Well, there is that. And every poll here on AS favors Stihl over Husky about 60/40. Here in the PNW I see Stihl saws about 80% of the time in the woods and about the same for the tree butchers here in the 'burbs.

Well, there is that. And every poll here on AS favors Stihl over Husky about 60/40. Here in the PNW I see Stihl saws about 80% of the time in the woods and about the same for the tree butchers here in the 'burbs.

That is because most members either have a Stihl or are stupid - most likely both (combines well regarding the 250 and 290 series saws)....:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

I actually have problems seeing anyone doing that

Last edited:
I find the weight difference and bulk of the ms361 as compared to my ms440 to be so minor that I often mistakenly grab the wrong saw. I don’t even notice until I start the saw up. If weight and handling properties are a big concern, drop down a class size and consider a ms260, ne346xp or a dolmar 5100. All will be similar money, just purchase from the best local dealer. If your are bucking under 20” any will get the job done just not quickly.

I have to agree with the weight between the 361 and 440, it realy isn't noticable.
I don't know that I would recomend a 50cc saw in this case, yes it will work, but it will hurt both of you before it's over!
The Husky has the better air filtration, the Stihl better antivibe. I'll take the air filter and a bit less weight. Try and talk the guy down to the same price on each saw and make it an even harder choice!!:monkey:

attachment.php

Like I said ..........The answer is MS660

just bought a used 359 husky and thought i was gona go with stihl 361 or 260, i was just wanting a a new saw to go along with our 310 stihl.

now in the future i more than likly will look harder at husky than i do stihl.

whichever id buy pro models they have cheap aftermarket piston and jug kits. right around 100-150 bucks.

Back