Husky 357xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwalker1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright this may sound like a dumb question but I'm asking anyway. I recently bought a 357xp off ebay that had the jug ported. I know it was crazy to buy off ebay. Well the good news is that the saw cuts awesome. Really checked everything over good. Jug and piston are in excellent shape and everything looks good. The question I have is that where the decomp valve is supposed to be there is what looks like a fitting with what looks to be a fuel line or something clamped to it going in right there. It doesn't look like something that someone has rigged up is the thing. Looks like it is suppose to be that way. I have had several saws but this is the first I've seen like this. I know some of you guys will probably say this guy sounds like an idiot. I know pretty well whatever I need to know about working on stock saws but the mods I don't really know anything about. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It'll be Sunday before I can get a picture posted. I am at work and headed out of town deer hunting when I leave here. As soon as I get home I will post a couple pics. Should have took pictures when I seen it.

Alright this may sound like a dumb question but I'm asking anyway. I recently bought a 357xp off ebay that had the jug ported. I know it was crazy to buy off ebay. Well the good news is that the saw cuts awesome. Really checked everything over good. Jug and piston are in excellent shape and everything looks good. The question I have is that where the decomp valve is supposed to be there is what looks like a fitting with what looks to be a fuel line or something clamped to it going in right there. It doesn't look like something that someone has rigged up is the thing. Looks like it is suppose to be that way. I have had several saws but this is the first I've seen like this. I know some of you guys will probably say this guy sounds like an idiot. I know pretty well whatever I need to know about working on stock saws but the mods I don't really know anything about. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It's the crappy automatic decompression valve. My suggestion is to take it off, replace w/plug or regular decomp. valve. Also, remove fitting from cyl. and plug the port where it goes in by the cyl bolt. See IPL.
Shep

As can be determined from the previous post, the automatic decompression release mechanism was a trouble magnet.

It is best to replace it with a plug or a manual decompression valve from a latter model - part # (503 71 53-01)

It's the crappy automatic decompression valve. My suggestion is to take it off, replace w/plug or regular decomp. valve. Also, remove fitting from cyl. and plug the port where it goes in by the cyl bolt. See IPL.
Shep

I had a problem with mine recently, the rubber hose that runs between the valve and the cylinder base developed a crack. I replaced it with the plug that screws into the side of the cylinder, and blocked off the connector to the lower cylinder port with a short piece of hose and a plastic plug. I'm guessing there's probably a factory part that's designed to plug the lower port to the cylinder, but without it a simple vacuum hose with a plug in the end works too. The plug that goes in the side of the upper cylinder was something like $3 and takes 1 minute to install.

On a saw this size there's really no need for a decomp system anyway, so its probably a good idea to get rid of it now. I can still drop start the thing without it, and I'm not a big guy.

Back