Husky 357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Haven't been on here in quite some time! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 357xp or 362xp, and how they liked them. - Eric

I have a 357XP that was Power Ported by Dan Henry (dozerdan) that is awesome!

I`ve got a 357 that was modified by Dennis and I`ve been very happy with it. From what I`ve heard through the grapvine though, Dennis isn`t currently building saws.

Russ

HI
The 357,takes to porting about the same as the 372 does. A ported 357 should cut with a stock 372. It is also the only saw that I know of that is using a full circle crank, also the only Husky I know of with an internal baffle in the muffler. I have no idea why they use the baffle, unless it was for EPA reasons.
Later
Dan

Russ is that true about Dennis leaving the sawshop, I know he he is rather busy 24/7 with the honey dipper truck his grandfather owns. If your pumping crap all day when can a man find time to build saws. It must be an up hill battle for Dennis.But then again it rolls down hill.

As far as the 357xp the one I have from Dan just kicks plenty of booty. I ran one of his 2100's just putzing around today and that thing just slams the ham with the 36" Blade;) I did however let a tree man run my 357 and he said it smoked. I also showed him about what a real muffler should look like.

Last edited:
You guys are starting to make me think this would be a great saw at this size! I had a jonny 2063 that was recentlly stolen out of the back of my truck and thought thie 357 would make a good replacement.
Which Jonsered would be comparable, the 2159? - Eric

Artwood
Jonsered and Husky do have a lot of saws that are the same basic design, but Jonsered has no saw in their lineup that is the same as the 357. The 359 is the same as their 2159. Although the 359/2159 has a larger engine then the 357, the 357 has more power in stock or modified form.
I hope this helps.
Later
Dan

I bought a 357xp after some jerk stole all the saws from the back of my truck. It's a little heavy to me, especially when I'm removing trees and have to dismember large limbs I'm roping down. But all in all it's an excellent machine.

Is there someone on this forum who modifies saws? I have a 394 I would consider modifying.

Try Dan Henry. (Dozerdan) You cant go wrong.
Also the PP357 is next on my list...Rick Saw/Slut

DozerDan sez that the 2159 Jonny is the same as the 359 Husky. Could be, I don't know for certain.

Something odd, though, about advertized power figures...Jonsered gets more watts out of the motor than Husky does. Is Jonsered just lying to try to make up for the fact that E-Lux won't let the mid-size hot rod out in red? Is Husky sandbagging with the 359?

I think somebody posted once that the old boys at E-lux were mighty ticked off about a contract to provide red saws...I assume that's why Jonsered never got a 242/246/272, etc. twin. Any other opinions?

Next question: 2159/359 is larger displacement, but lower performance, how well do they respond to mods? Does the full circle crank from the 357 make it into the 2159/359, and if not, is the crankcase stuffing account for much of a factor?

eyolf
The 359/2159 do not use the full circle crank.
I think you will find the 2159 and the 359 are the same saw other then a few minor changes, air filter and color, plastic parts.
The cylinders for both saws are made, in house and have the removable side plates on the transfer ports. That design does not take to mods as well as the quad loop barrels with out the side plates. A modified 357 will have more power then the 2159 or the 359. I have found out the same thing applies when comparing the little 346 with the discontinued 2149s. Both saws ported the 346 rules, the 2149 has the removable side plates.
I have never bothered to port one of the 359s or 2159s. I did run and look inside of a 2159 that was ported by Ken. As expected his work was first rate but the saw fell short in power compared to a 357. I am not implying in any way that Ken did a bad job on that saw, its just that you can only get a certain amount of power out of a particular design.
Now if we could only get Husky to use that full circle crank in a 346 case. That would be interesting.
Later
Dan

Dan, Have you tried using epoxy in the corners of the crank case on a non full curcle crank model to decrease volume? Decreaseing crank case volume is a slippery slop as it usually narrows the power band quit abit and makes for a very peaky, tempermental motor.

Ben
Yea I stuffed a 372 case one time on a saw that I built for myself. If it had any performance gains, I couldn't detect them.
That is one of the advantages of the full circle crank, it fills the crankcase. I have not notice any narrow power band with a full circle crank. The 357 has good power throughout all rpm's. It may have a more adverse effect on cart, sled and bike engine that use higher port timing numbers but I was speaking of saws.
I would like to see the saw manufactures build a saw with built in adjustable power valves and full circle cranks. That would be fun to play with.
Later
Dan

DozerDan: thanks for reply.

I like the pretty red saws better than pumpkins, and am starting to get the itch for a new saw.

Too bad for me that Elux doesn't market the 357 in red.

HI
The 357,takes to porting about the same as the 372 does. A ported 357 should cut with a stock 372. It is also the only saw that I know of that is using a full circle crank, also the only Husky I know of with an internal baffle in the muffler. I have no idea why they use the baffle, unless it was for EPA reasons.
Later
Dan

The older 61's had a baffle. I think the reason for the baffle is that ideally you want an exhaust that will take advantage of the effect of a reflected pressure wave on the fuel charge (consentrating pressure at the exhaust on the compression stroke) This is essential for maximum charge pressure. In leiu of the expansion chamber necessary to provide the reflected pressure…. a muffler is used to create back pressure.although is does not proviede the most efficent volumentric efficenty. In the absence of back pressure volumentric pressure efficenency is lost.

Last edited:
DozerDan: thanks for reply.

I like the pretty red saws better than pumpkins, and am starting to get the itch for a new saw.

Too bad for me that Elux doesn't market the 357 in red.

It's the 2156. A friend has a ported 2156 that I tried at a GTG. That is a really mean machine. Cuts like h*ll.

The older 61's had a baffle. I think the reason for the baffle is that ideally you want an exhaust that will take advantage of the effect of a reflected pressure wave on the fuel charge (consentrating pressure at the exhaust on the compression stroke) This is essential for maximum charge pressure. In leiu of the expansion chamber necessary to provide the reflected pressure…. a muffler is used to create back pressure.although is does not proviede the most efficent volumentric efficenty. In the absence of back pressure volumentric pressure efficenency is lost.

You may be a little late with a reply as this thread is from 2003!!!! lol

Latest posts

Back