Husky 359 "Gee i wish it had more jam" Tech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperactive

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post here for me.Alot of good fellas and good help. Is a non cat muffler going to be a good start? I don't want to mod the muffler just yet ya know for warranty reasons. Will a Bailey's muffler make that much difference? Thanks fellas

No, no difference at all except it won't run as hot. The reason for getting the non cat muffler is so you can mod it without breathing the nasty stuff.

Ian

Get the non-cat from Baileys and open’er up, keep the cat muffler to put back on in the event you need to make a warranty claim. ;)

"so how many hours has this saw seen?"
"about 100"
"the muffler looks brand new!"
"ahh i like to clean it alot?"

might seem suspicious. I would get the non cat muff anyways. it might not seem like a jump in preformance but it does help your engine out a ton.

When I replaced the CAT muffler on my 353 E-tech with the regular muffler I also noticed a difference in power right away. I would suspect the 359 would be the same.

You want more jam, but want a warranty too. Unfortunatly the two are diametrically opposed.

Non EPA muffler with a couple 1/2 inch holes will make a big difference. You will need to clip the limiter caps to get enough fuel. Then after that the 359 is one of the easiest saws to get good porting gains out of. Your saw can cut twice as fast as stock with a little work.

Watch your fuel mixture even just swaping the mufflers could be running the saw lean without adjustment.

Back in the 1990s both Husky and Stihl admitted that cat mufflers stole a tad of the power, but Husky doesn't by now......

I still believe they do, but the main issue is the hotter-running engine.

if you snip the limter tabs I heard that your carb will not stay tuned because the tabs help hold the jets inplace, and thanks for all your help guys

I don't know about Husky, but I believe Stihl limit caps can bee pulled off with a drywall screw, then reinstalled after opening up the screws a bit, so you still have the 1/4 to 1/2 turn of adjustment range...

I am definitely not an expert, but I did it on my 460 after installing the DP muffler cover.

I don't know about Husky, but I believe Stihl limit caps can bee pulled off with a drywall screw, then reinstalled after opening up the screws a bit, so you still have the 1/4 to 1/2 turn of adjustment range...

I am definitely not an expert, but I did it on my 460 after installing the DP muffler cover.

Trim the tabs off and re-instal and you have the full range of adjustment.

I put a non cat muffler on my 359. I haven't ran it a whole lot since then but it seemed like it had more power to me. It could be the placebo effect but I don't think so. It definately let it run cooler.

I got my 359 E-Tech with 5 tanks run through it and got rid of the cat muffler right away and replaced it with an non cat European one
attachment.php
and modded it before I even cut with it so I don't know the performance difference but it sure does cut fast and sounds very cool too.

Yep with the 359 caps, there are just little tabs on the side of the caps that need to be ground off or clipped with nail clippers and thats all there is too it.

Yep with the 359 caps, there are just little tabs on the side of the caps that need to be ground off or clipped with nail clippers and thats all there is too it.

What timberwolf said,thats the way I did mine.It took me about 20 minutes to get them down so they were fully adjustable.I used a nail clipper,small file and hobby knife.:givebeer: :chainsaw:

I replaced the cat right away on my 359 but I had cut with it some first and I definately noticed more "pep" and throttle response.

Fact I am not into modding saws but if I ever change my mind this will be my project saw. :)

Kansas

Latest posts

Back