Husky 359 VS Stihl Ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolphski

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not to :deadhorse: But I've got My next pick for a saw narrowed down to the Stihl 361 and the Husky 359. I'm having a hard time deciding wich I like better. In my area the 359 will set me back about $489 while the 361 runs about $569. I like the feel and build of the Husky but like the added power of the 361. That and their are a few more Stihl shops in the area than Husky. Now as far as usable power goes. If I opened up the mufflers on both saws and tested them equally wich would likely be the winner? I know the 359 is running through a straw of a muffler stock so would that make up the little less power that it puts out? All in all I'm looking forward to your ideas on the matter.

Thanks all!:D

I like both saws alot but would like to spend closer to the $400 mark rather than the $600. I don't want to cheap out on shear power and durability but I need to save what money I can. If I get alot of replys leaning towards the 361 being that much better I would spend the bucks and go for it. The 359 has alot of followers that praise it's ability and function.

I hear the 359 responds well to a muff job. I'll tell ya another saw you can tell night/day difference once you open the muffler up a bit is one of them cub cadet/efco cs5018 saws! I just did mine and I think its got enough balls to run 3/8 chain on a 16" bar with authority...time for a switch over if i can get the clutch off!

PS. the 359 is the best bang for your buck! great all around saw!

The 359 is a real sleeper. The difference is night and day once they are opened up. They mod great! For the money you will save you could spend a little down the road and send the saw to a builder and have it woods ported (or do it yourself if you are so inclined). It is all :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: from that point.

Last edited:
Alright how about this you can buy a new 359 send it to Dave Neiger and come out pretty close to the 361 price. Which saw has more power for the same money?

Keep in mind no sales tax if you buy off the net. That's a good chunk when you are spending several hundred, but you hear stories about some dealers wanting to snub you if need service on a saw that you didn't buy from them. It's a trade off. Are your local Husky dealers going to service it or are they box stores? Just things to consider.

Ian

Last edited:
Haywire Haywood said:
Probably the same 2c he's put in his last 6 or 8 posts this morning... about 1 peso worth.

Ian

Thought I was the only one that noticed that, guess not.
Andy

Rudolphski said:
...but would like to spend closer to the $400 mark rather than the $600.

Hi,

you guys just don't know how lucky you are living over there! Your prices are amazingly low.

A 359G would cost me 815 Euro at my local dealer, maybe 750 if I could get a big discount for being an age old faithful customer.

A 361W would cost me 889 Euro at the same dealer, also maybe only 800 or so if I'm lucky as his prices are already below list price to begin with!

And seeing you people say "aw schucks ya'll shunt pays more then $400 for a 359" makes me want to cry from frustration... Especially when the saws, Stihl in particular, are made not very far from here and Dollars and Euros are nearly equal in value.

Still it looks as if the business rule of "charge what the market is willing to pay rather than what the product is actually worth" holds true here in europe.

Envy? Me? erm....

YES!!!

Bye

EDIT: the current Stihl catalogue price for a 361W with a 40cm bar is 997 Euros and that is in Germany!!!

Last edited:
Went to another dealer that Carry's both saws and spent about 45 minutes comp airing the two. Their both real nice saw and both have pro's and con's but the husky is just a little more my style.:chainsaw: I'm gonna buy it as soon as I find the best local price.

Poor Monkeyhangar I feel your pain. I'm lucky to be in the states for allot of things.

I have both the 359 and the 361, both are modded. Both are great saws!

In modded form the 361 will pull slightly higher revs, (14'800 for the 361......13'800 for the 359) the torque is about the same.

If you bide you time and look hard you can get a 359 and add the mods for roughly the cost of the 361.

Glad I don't have to choose!

Latest posts

Back