Husky 36 worth keeping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Rallye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husky 36 that has been a decent little saw for limbing...I only say that because I havent used many others that size to compare. I have a warmed up 372xp that does the bulk of any real cutting I need to do and I can't find any info on the little 36. I'm in the process of getting a 339xp for regular use so my main question is: Is it worth keeping the 36 and or upgrading, and where does it fall in the lineup of older saws that were good equipment or were junk...any info would be appreciated...an old spec sheet would be cool to see if anyone has old info source...Sawtroll maybe? Thanks to all and Happy Holidays!

I have one sitting on the shelf of my building. I don't hardly ever use it anymore. Most of my work is done with either the 044. If theirs a lot of limbs 9 times out of 10 I grab the 028 super

I got a jred 2036 for the wife. She wanted a red colored saw only requirement. Basically the same saw as the 36. It's great for the yard clean up, skid saw etc. I'll be keeping it around.

With a 339xp anywhere in the area...the 36 will never get used. Cash it out.
Most likely true, the 339xp is lighter and stronger!

The 36 was Huskys cheapest homeowner saw when a current model in the 1990s, and made by Poulan. It is still far from the worst homeowner saw around, and wasn't as "strangled" by EPA as the current saws in that class.

Small saws like that don't have a lot of resale value so if it were me, I'd keep it on the shelf in case of emergency even if you rarely use it as you never know when you may need it. To me it's not worth a couple cases of beer money to part with a saw that's reliably served you.

The 36 was Huskys cheapest homeowner saw when a current model in the 1990s, and made by Poulan. It is still far from the worst homeowner saw around, and wasn't as "strangled" by EPA as the current saws in that class.
I did a MM to mine and it will cut dead standing oak ( which I mainly cut for firewood) from 6-10". Not a badly built small saw, and runs well!

I did a MM to mine and it will cut dead standing oak ( which I mainly cut for firewood) from 6-10". Not a badly built small saw, and runs well!
I was going to dump mine after getting my 550XP but decided to hang onto it. Did a MM and went to non-safety chain and use it for all the messy jobs around the yard. A couple of weeks ago I used it to cut down over 100' of overgrown forsythia hedge. We have a lot of sappy pines scattered around and the 36 does most of the trimming on those.

I agree that it's not a bad saw overall and it sure does run extremely well after opening up the muffler. It doesn't owe me anything and wouldn't bring much if sold, so why not keep it?

I was going to dump mine after getting my 550XP but decided to hang onto it. Did a MM and went to non-safety chain and use it for all the messy jobs around the yard. A couple of weeks ago I used it to cut down over 100' of overgrown forsythia hedge. We have a lot of sappy pines scattered around and the 36 does most of the trimming on those.

I agree that it's not a bad saw overall and it sure does run extremely well after opening up the muffler. It doesn't owe me anything and wouldn't bring much if sold, so why not keep it?
I have a ported wildthing just for that (nasties fenceposts etc etc)!!

As you say, far from the worst homeowner saw around. It's light, it cuts, and mine has the easiest to operate chain brake of any saw I've ever owned. I flick the brake on and off with one finger.
Mine was made in Sweden, so I don't think Poulan was involved.
As old Huskies go, I'd trade it for a 242XP in a heartbeat.

I have two of them(2036 JRed's)good little cutters but I havn't re ringed them since they've got tired and probably won't.Dolmar 420 more than filled the slot they left.

As you say, far from the worst homeowner saw around. It's light, it cuts, and mine has the easiest to operate chain brake of any saw I've ever owned. I flick the brake on and off with one finger.
Mine was made in Sweden, so I don't think Poulan was involved.
As old Huskies go, I'd trade it for a 242XP in a heartbeat.

Who wouldn't? The 242xp is in a totally different class, but still isn't much heavier.

Does your 36 say "Made in Sweden" on it, or just "Husqvarna, Sweden"? I would like to see some pictures of the number tag etc......

If you don't want it I'll take it. Brought one back to life and sold it. LOL Wish I would have kept it. Have a couple small polan top handles if you want to work out a trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back