husky 365 bar and chain ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handsplitter

Reaction score
New member with a few questions. I spent alot of time here before joining. It seems I got more questions now than I did when I started. There's alot of knowledge out here, and I appreciate it.

My partner and I are doing alot of cutting for the winter. we've been sticking with 24" diameter or so trees. The biggest saw we have is the 365. We have quite a few that are laying with almost 48" trunks. All red, black, some white oak,hickory and cherry. Any advice on a larger bar and chain than the 24" we have.

Greatly appreciate anything you all have to say!

4 foot oak is a lot to ask of a 65cc saw, even a rock solid 365.

You might get a little more capacity with a 28 or 32 inch bar and skip tooth chain. But it is't going to be fast.

If time is money for you then a 90 plus cc saw is likely a worth while investment.

If you need to rebuild the 365 you can always go up to a 372 or 372 bb jug and gain some umph.

I appreciate the input. I am seriously looking at another saw for sale by another member for the larger trees, but I'd like to put something a little longer on this one for the intermediate stuff. Time isn't money on this. I'll get paid back when I burn it. Is there a 32" bar and chain you would recommend. I'm fairly new at this gage and pitch scenario. Again thank you for the reply, it's appreciated

I would stop at a 24" on the 365, especially in hardwood. But you can go bigger with that mount. The 365's came with 3/8" pitch and probably .050 gauge. For the bar go with an Oregon PowerMatch Plus or Windsor SpeedTip. If you want a 32 incher get some Oregon 72JGX chain (skiptooth).

Handsplitter,
Just where on the boarder are you at? Might be of some help if you need a bigger saw or some help.
Bob

I found myself in the same boat a few years back. I had several grapple loads of 36" plug wood. I ordered a 394 but it just never seemed to come in. So I went ahead and bought a 30" bar for my 272 and figured I could put it on my 394 when it came in. I ended up cutting all the wood with the 272, it wasn't fast but it did the trick.

I cut up a 3' x 4' maple stump with my 361. Sometimes you just gotta do with what you have. I was running 30SC on a Stihl 25" ES bar, most I would go with that set up. I prefer to run skip but haven't ordered any 30SCS yet.

I would run no larger than a 28" with skip on that saw. You also have to consider that the oiler has to keep up with the larger bar as well.

Im with TW on this one,,,,I'm thinking a 32" bar is a stretch for the 65CC saw,,, but I suppose if you run skip and keep very sharp chains and dont get in a hurry it will do,,,, But,,,,,,, You can buy a Big Bore P/C for 109.00 + shipping that will let you run that 32 with power to spare,,,

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BBN+372&CAT=

the Bar you can get in .050 guage or 058 guage for the husky mount

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=GBT+32+HU50&catID=649

There is no substitute for displacement when it comes to bigger wood and longer bars,,,,,, (except for a really good woodsport job!!!!!!) LOLOL!!!!!

Well just got to thinking here. If your close enough I have a 32 I run. You can also run a 385xp and a 7900 to see what you think of them. I had a 261 with a 24 when I first got it. I know that is just a bit smaller but it worked the tar out of it in oak.
Later
Bob

You can run a longer bar, but honestly I feel that 24 inchs is the upper limit for a 365 - I have one and love it but limit it to a 20 inch bar, as I have a 390 for bigger cuts...

It will probably run, but you will fall asleep waiting for it to finish the cuts on the bigger stuff....

Well if any 'small' saw can haul an oversize bar it's the 365, drill 3 extra 8mm holes in the muffler for a serious kick in power - if you can handle the extra hard-edged crackle that'll pound your ears, with an 18" bar the 65cc swift and easy deals to anything. Even with a oversize 28"(non-skip) as in this pic, it'll still grunt thru big stuff without straining, of course an 066 is faster cutting, but the 365 is deliciously smooth at full power and it's lighter, more flickable and just all-round easier saw to swing on all day
scc.jpg

Hi there Ky, yep those jonnys are almost too pretty to actually use :cool:

Back