Husky 372 fuel issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry G.

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My 372XP, bought used from a member here and rebuilt by me suddenly has a fuel issue. The saw has been running great with no problems, and had been sitting for about 3 months when I went to start it yesterday. Long story short it will start if primed with fuel, will rev perfectly then die after 1-2 seconds. Its not getting fuel. What is the most likely problem when it was running perfectly before? If I blow a little air down the fuel line it will gush back out, but then nothing. Fuel and impulse line look fine. Thanks for the help.

Hey, I am not familiar at all with that saw, but does it have points?

I'm asking because I have a McCulloch 250 that was doing exactly what your saw was, and I had just rebuilt the carb and checked all thing fuel delivery-related, and it wouldn't idle more than a few seconds. It had excellent spark, but on a whim, I cleaned adn regapped the points, and viola, it runs freakin great.

If it's starting without direct prime, then the carb's obviously moving fuel, so it might be a spark issue.

Again, I've never had a 372xp (or any xp husky) in my hands, so I don't know anything about it. And it's not listed on Chainsaw Collectors Corner, so I don't know if it's got points or not.

Good luck, I've heard those saws are sick.

Bryan

The gas is good. Not sure what an inlet needle is. I squirt carb clearner in the carb it fires runs and dies. Etc. Not spark related. I pull the gas line off nothing is there. I believe the gas line seals the tank by being tight in that little hole. It seemed to drip soem fuel out past the fuel line when I turned it on its side, would that leak cause the fuel not to flow?

So fuel dripping out of the tank hole causing the problem? To be honest I'm not exactly sure how the impulse line works. It pushes air into the tank forcing fuel into the carb? But that doesnt sound right either, I know the tank has to vent. The fuel filter could be clogged, but when I blow a little air into it gas pukes out afterward. All help appreciated on clearing up how it works.

Hey, I am not familiar at all with that saw, but does it have points?

I'm asking because I have a McCulloch 250 that was doing exactly what your saw was, and I had just rebuilt the carb and checked all thing fuel delivery-related, and it wouldn't idle more than a few seconds. It had excellent spark, but on a whim, I cleaned adn regapped the points, and viola, it runs freakin great.

If it's starting without direct prime, then the carb's obviously moving fuel, so it might be a spark issue.

Again, I've never had a 372xp (or any xp husky) in my hands, so I don't know anything about it. And it's not listed on Chainsaw Collectors Corner, so I don't know if it's got points or not.

Good luck, I've heard those saws are sick.

Bryan

No points in that saw it is well beyond the point years. All 372s are CDI ignition. The 372s were being produced in the late 90s till present

So fuel dripping out of the tank hole causing the problem? To be honest I'm not exactly sure how the impulse line works. It pushes air into the tank forcing fuel into the carb? But that doesnt sound right either, I know the tank has to vent. The fuel filter could be clogged, but when I blow a little air into it gas pukes out afterward. All help appreciated on clearing up how it works.

The impulse line is connected to the lower crankcase. It produces a vaccuum when the piston moves upwards. It is then connected to the carb diaphram to make the fuel pump from the tank into the carb. From what you say that fuel purges from the tank through the fuel line. The impulse line could very well be the problem. But even with a hole in the fuel line with pressure it could purge itself.

Ok impulse line draws a vacuum make the carb suck its own gas. I will check the impulse line. The problem existed before I yanked the fuel and impulse lines off so although I suppose I could have damaged the line I was careful and doubt it. Sound like new fuel and impulse lines are the next step, and may as well put a new filter in there too. Thanks for the help so far guys. BTW I took my 35 year old Mac out which had not been run in 6 months, the tank was empty so I filled it, it popped the 3rd pull and started 4th, I dont think these new saws have much on the old ones sometimes!

Ok impulse line draws a vacuum make the carb suck its own gas. I will check the impulse line. The problem existed before I yanked the fuel and impulse lines off so although I suppose I could have damaged the line I was careful and doubt it. Sound like new fuel and impulse lines are the next step, and may as well put a new filter in there too. Thanks for the help so far guys. BTW I took my 35 year old Mac out which had not been run in 6 months, the tank was empty so I filled it, it popped the 3rd pull and started 4th, I dont think these new saws have much on the old ones sometimes!

It seem like the wave at these times. Make it wear out so it can be replaced or sell parts. For example a cat D8 dozer. The old school machines had a big 6 cylinder d342 engine slow turning high torque engine last for ever. It dwarfed the 3406 used of today. Cat must of figured make an engine turn fast work overly hard equals parts sold equals revenue from premature failure. Them old D8ks were one awsome machine compared to lets say d8R. Longer lasting. Greed is the prime factor in todays economy. Quanity or quality it is a choice to be made by todays manufacturers. Well we all know what the answer is.

Once you get the fuel and impulse lines tested or replaced and if that still doesn't work... Then you'll need to go into the carb, make the sure the metering valve isn't stuck, the pump diaphragm isn't worn out, or its cap isn't plugged with sawdust, the inlet screen inside the carb isn't plugged...
I tried to find a decent thread with a "how to rebuild a 372 carb" but no luck...

Or you can just replace the carb, I've used these carbs with good luck:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Fits-Husqvarna-Chainsaw-362-365-372-371-/280662730356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4158cd6674

For $35 you can't go wrong.

I'll replace the lines and get back. Thanks for the help.
BTW the Mac has never had the lines replaced, carb rebuilt or engine even cracked open. A couple clutches, sprockets, misc small parts thats it.

I'm betting on a new fuel fixes the issue. Just went through this on my 371. Same symptoms almost to a "T". Would pop on choke 1st or 2nd pull. Would start OK on high idle and with throttle blip. Would not stay running or idle. Most of the fuel line looked just fine, but had two very small cracks that could not be seen unless the fuel line was flexed just right. The cracks were just above the tank and fuel would dribble out when the saw was tipped. Good luck.

For me it was a good time to do a few other things I'd been meaning to do like; installing my modded muffler, new rings, "Dremelized" my limiter caps on the H & L adjustment screws and deleting my cylinder base gasket. Like I've got a new saw, this thing really rips now.:rock:

Last edited:
I'll replace the lines and get back. Thanks for the help.
BTW the Mac has never had the lines replaced, carb rebuilt or engine even cracked open. A couple clutches, sprockets, misc small parts thats it.

My old Pouland has never needed fuel lines, but no ethanol for the first 20 years of it's life.

Also, these newer saws with spring AV, have a lot of movement between tank and air box, and the carb has rubber mounts for more movement. Super smooth, but hard on fuel lines.

My 346xp has needed a new line every 3 years. But I wouldn't trade it for a truck load of old saws.:msp_biggrin:

Thanks guys I used the supplied fuel lines instead of getting new ones, looks like that decision is biting me in the ass now. No ethanol for me (except for beverages) I use the good stuff it lasts forever.

Just for giggles and to prove you've sorted out the problem once you change out the fuel line, inspect the line with a magnifying glass while bending it. I'd be surprised if you don't see numerous cracks, some "terminal" others likely on the way to being failures. You could also simply presure/vacuum test the fuel line by disconnecting the filter and attaching your tools fitting/hose there. That may tell you if the inlet needle is seating properly too. Good luck. Aren't saws fun? Always a puzzle to be solved and something to be learned.

Back