Husky 372,stihl 044 Or Shindaiwa 757?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON K.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,happy Thansgiving,I'm going to be buying a larger saw in the near future,right now I have a Shindaiwa 488 that I use for small clearing jobs(I'm a landscaper),I'd like a larger saw for larger jobs and cutting firewood commercially.The saws I'm looking at are the Husky 372XP,Stihl 044 and the Shindaiwa 757.The most important thing to me is reliability.I'd also like a broad power band.I"m not trying to start a brand war,I'm sure all three are great saws,I'm just trying to find out which would be best for my use.Thankyou all for any help you may provide,RON K.

I think that I run more Shindaiwa saws than anyone here. I do really like the 757, however the 757 is not my first choice in the 4.5 cube saw range. If I had to do it all over again the 372 would be choice. The saw and parts are available anywhere. The 372 has the best anti-vibe and they seem to respond the best to modifications. The 044 and the 372 run at a higher RPM than the 757 also.The Dolmar 7900 is another good choice, unfortunately like the Shindaiwas, dealers and parts availability can be hard to come buy. The 7900 also costs more too. The best bang for your buck is the 372. If you keep your eyes on E-bay, good deals on any of these saws can be found. Online, the 372 can be found for under $600!

Last edited:
Saw Purchace

Dad has been cutting firewood for over ten years now. The city hauls the big stuf out to his 10 acre playground. He's a Stihl kind of man. I'm not sure what size he's using, has an 18" bar. I purchaced a 075 for him four years ago, rebuilt it and put a 36" bar on it. I did ask him before buying the bar what lenth he needed. He's been happy with it although I've had to fix it one other time. Previous owner had plugged the gas cap vent with a set screw, saw was runing out of gas.

From the few times I've taked with him about his saw's, air filters clogging seems to be his main complaint. I've seen him carry 20 chains to be sharpened, not sure I'd be able to convince him away from whomever is doing his sharpening. There are three other retired friends that enjoy working with him out there, all hardcore Stihl guys.

I'd better explain a few things before asking the big question. Dad is not your average sort of retired man. He's always doing something, be it shingling a roof when it's over 100+ or building a garage, 160' X 80' metal building by himself for his friends. One never knows what all this guy has on his plate, usually always several jobs. He relaxes cutting & splitting firewood.....

I had been on second shift for 10+ years. Just starting to get back into life again.

Now for the question. I'd like to buy dad a new saw, gotta be a Stihl though. Reading about hot saws has me leaning towards setting him up with a hot saw. They cut Ash to Walnut. He's using the 075 exclusively with a 36" bar so somewhere in the 18" to 20" would be the requirements. Is the 044 a good choice for a hot-saw? How modified can we be without an expansion chamber sticking out? This must be a working-everyday saw.

Ryan

Are you sure you just want to get him a modded 044? I have an 066 modded by Dennis Grefferd (although you don't hear much from him anymore) that is a blast, I also have a husky 372xpg that was modded by Dan Henry (Dozer Dan) and I would recommend talking to Dan.

Stihl

Thank you for the reply Ryan. I won't even consider trying to talk Dad into another brand of saw. I completely understand what your saying about the Husky 372xpg but surely you know how some people can be about brands. I don't have salesman abuility to convince Dad that this is just-as-good, let alone better then what he's using now. Reading on this site about 2-stroke oils has me wondering how to convince him to use another brand, that's going to be tough enough. Rebuilding this 075 I don't like the amount of carbon buildup in the cumbustion chamber. One thread mentions "lower carbon buildup" I don't want to see this saw damaged because of detonation in a few years of use so I have to prove to Dad that this new stuff will help, not just cost more money. Bar oil? maybe in a few years I'll mention what I've read on here to him. Just had a great idea!!!! He travels a lot, maybe he'd go to one of the saw cutting shows!!!! YOU guys can explain some of the better ways to him. He'd fit right in with some of you. He hires help & has some great stories.

I wondered for a while how Art Martin took to the computer & started posting on here. Most elderly men won't get near one. I work around mostly older gentlemen whom dislike this new computer age. This site actually fits my dad's way of life. His wife is on-line, she used to be able to drag him over to look at something but you could tell he was just being polite.

I'll try getting him to go to a logging show. I'll let you know when or if he'll be there. Right now I'd like to set him up with a better saw.

I would think the 046 would be a slightly better candidate for modification if you really want a screamer. And they're a couple pounds lighter than the 066.

I have an MS460 and came VERY close to having it modded but found out that they sometimes have a problem with the lower crank bearings going out prematurly so I decided against it. The 460 is a GREAT saw even stock, I run an 8 tooth sprocket and a 24'' bar and chain and it pulls fine even in hard oak and maple (I do however recomend opening the muffler on the saw). If you want to take him to a logging show then you need to be in Richmond Virginia some time in the middle of may, as they hold the semi-anual (every other year) Logging Expo Richmond there at the speed way. Its the largest logging show east of the mississippi. They have portable sawmill equipment as well as large stationary sawmill equipment and chainsaws, logging equipment ect. Pretty much anyone who's anyone in logging will be there, myself included (not that I'm anyone:p ):angel:

Oh, almost forgot the next one is 2004, be there or be square;)

Ryan,
Do you know the dates for that show? I may be in Myrtle Beach for bike week in mid May and it would be great to combine the trip.
Thanks!

Since he has an 075 that you just rebuilt, and you're looking for something in the 18" range with mods, go for an MS260. That will give him a lighter saw with plenty of grunt; but he'll still have the 075 when the job calls for displacement and a larger bar.

I would go with the Husky 372xp myself, as it is a truly unbeatable saw as far as power, weight and zip if you know how to sharpen a chain. The Shindaiwa is also nice if you don't mind the Japanese name (But they make all the good stuff anyway, right?) Personally the Swedish saw with a good sharp chain on it should meet or exceed the expectations of the other two... you Stihl 044 fans would be happy with a 372xp if you would just try one for a day!!! It is funny with Stihl and Husky, the saws don't really match up head to head between the brands.....

Ryan- the 460 doesn't have the main bearing problem like the early 046 saws did, and those were only the saws made in '96 and early '97. I've hotrodded about 40 460s so far and some are still running every day after 2.5 years.

The 372s are great saws, but don't have as much torque as they should, even modified. For a saw in that size class you'd think they'd pull better at the stump than they do.

Jacob J.,sir do you think that the 440 would be a good choice because of the lower end torque?Thankyou,Ron K.

I wouldn't touch that Shindowa (oh h*ll can't spell it) I'am a true Stihl man and would say go with the 460 if your doing alot of falling and heavy bucking. I have used the 372 Husky and I would take it over a Jap crap anyday of the week. You can get Stihl and Husky parts anywhere you can almost get parts in a grocery store :p

The 44 is nice I haven't used a new model but the older model with a 24" bar wasn't too bad it is lighter than the 46. The 46 is the 66 baby brother I have bucked 36" diameter hemlock with no problems with my 46.

The 372 I was using sports a 28" bar I had to be carefull about not leaning into it too much it bogged easier than my 46. The 372 was a bit faster bucking smaller diameter wood.

To sum up the rambling I don't think you can go wrong with a Stihl or a Husky.

I have to vouch for the 044 on behalf of myself and all the loggers and cross cutters that operate around the forests around here. The 046 is now starting to takes its place as its proven its reliability after a somewhat shakey start.

I've ruled out the Shindaiwa,in fact I'm going to sell the 488 if anyone is interested.I'm worried about future dealer support if my local dealerdisapears or if we ever move.I'm leaning to a 440 and maybe a 260,Thanks,Ron K.

Originally posted by Pacific
[B I have used the 372 Husky and I would take it over a Jap crap anyday of the week. [/B]

As far as quality goes, Shindaiwa saws are as good as anything else! Why bash it, Stihl and Husky aren't made here in the states. If you remember the big 3 auto companies didn't get their act together until the Japs forced their hand!

I do understand dealer support for Shindaiwa does suck in certain areas.

You what it would be like to get parts for one of those Shinawas here I don't even know where the nearest dealer would be.

Stihl and Husky have been used in this forestry community for years old Homelites and Pioneers where around many moons ago.

When you are a West Coast faller making your living with your chainsaw you take nothing but Stihl or Husky into the bush you wouldn't see any faller here use a Jap saw.

Originally posted by Pacific
You what it would be like to get parts for one of those Shinawas here I don't even know where the nearest dealer would be.

Stihl and Husky have been used in this forestry community for years old Homelites and Pioneers where around many moons ago.

When you are a West Coast faller making your living with your chainsaw you take nothing but Stihl or Husky into the bush you wouldn't see any faller here use a Jap saw.

This has nothing to do with popularity. This has to do with quality. There was a time when Stihl and Husky were in the same boat, they were on the short list for dealer support. Add Dolmar, Echo and Solo to the list also.

Last edited:
Awww Rich, you know those Shinnies aren`t good enough to sell anywhere but Pennsylvania. Why do you torture yourself trying to defend them? :D

Russ

Back