Husky 372,stihl 044 Or Shindaiwa 757?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I would rather run my 488 than my 353 husky. I like the weight and balance better, the controls are nicer, and so are the gas and oil caps. Quality wise, I dont think i've seen anything better put together than the shindaiwa. I have ran all three of the bigger saws and I will agree that the 372 probably has the best combo of chainspeed and power but the 757 definately has more torque. In all fairness the 757 is also bigger in cc's and a little heavier. Keep the 488 and try the 757 out, you might be surprised, plus you dont have to be a husky or stihl robot:rolleyes: One more thing, my 488 seems to be far less cold blooded than the huskies or stihls I have owned. Two or three pulls when its cold and it fires, one more pull with the choke off and its ready to cut. Sometimes my huskies take 7 or 8 pulls after sitting for a while and definately take a longer period of fiddling before they are warmed up. Just my .02

Brent

Merry christmas to evryone.Thankyou all for the the response.The one big problem I have with the 488 is when I replace the chain is getting it to stay on and adjusting the tension.Rich Hoffman and bdenny since you guys use the Shindaiwas would you please help?Thankyou all again,RON K.

I also run a 488 Shinny, which has been modified. It is far and away a better saw than an 026, and is built to last. It is 1/2 lb lighter than the 026 and 346 Husky, which it should also outlast. The 346 takes to mods a bit better though. Parts are no problem, I have a great online source, plus there are several dealers here in the PNW. The other Shinnys are not quite as light or powerful as the Stihl's and Huskys in their respective classes, based on specs anyhow. too

I too have a problem with the chain throwing, as well it is dulling itself somewhere on the saw, cant figure out what is wrong. I think I need a new bar, and may switch to 3/8 chain, which has deeper drive link tangs.

I'm not sure what to say about the bar and chain problem. I have ran 33lg, 20lp, and stihl 33rs(i think thats the right #). I have had no problems with chain throws with any of them. So far I have just ran the stock 16 and 18 inch bars that I got with the saw. I am going to order a gb from Jeff Sikkema soon. Make sure your chain is filed right, your bar is true, and your rim sprocket is ok. Also, make sure you are getting enough bar oil. The 488 puts out gobs of oil. The oiler is the same one as some of their bigger saws and I find the second or third setting is plenty. Rb, did you fix the brake band problem you were having? I have had no problems with mine but I know there is a adustment screw underneath for adjusting the band tension.

brent

Originally posted by RON K.
Merry christmas to evryone.Thankyou all for the the response.The one big problem I have with the 488 is when I replace the chain is getting it to stay on and adjusting the tension.Rich Hoffman and bdenny since you guys use the Shindaiwas would you please help?Thankyou all again,RON K.

I don't have any problem with the chains on my 488. Never heard of that one!

I think it's me,I'm having a problem putting the chain on,the Stihl 360 I had was much easier but as I said,I'm sure it's me,RON K.

Ron,

You may have a alignment problem putting on the chain and bar.Make sure the chain adjustment nipple lines up properly with the hole in the bar.Not a bad idea after you put a chain on to check the side plate and bar alignment with the powerhead.Turn the saw up look at the bottom of the the powerhead.Everything should be flush and perfectly aligned.

Rick

Back