Husky 372xp or Stihl ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your high moral fiber won't allow you to be to rough on Homie!!!

Me on the other hand, my moral fiber is less high, and it might seem as if I had beat him like a red-headed step child.

I must rise to a higher level and not allow myself to be drug into the ditch so easily.

There is always tomorrow...:)

I got a extra box of Rasin Bran T, I'll send ya some before you hurt Homie, LOLOLOLOL

No Makita trimmers in my area, I've never had one come in the shop. We did have a Makita dealer a few miles from us a few years back. He didn't last long, he closed up shop. I did have one of his Makita concrete saws come in after he closed up. Man was all pizzed off cause I had no parts for it. He was giving me some rude slack and I politely told him I didn't sell you the f-cking thing, don't come in here b-tching to me about it. See I'm a nice guy. That guy cooled his jets real quick. Sold him a TS700 and sent him on his way...

Your lucky you dont have them ive seen the guys go through 3 clutches a year they have a lining on them that just breaks up, Same cc as a FS250:bowdown: But .3 hp less (seems like more lol)
The corcrete saws are Ok though we have one that you would swear has bugger all compression but cuts like a demon

Your lucky you dont have them ive seen the guys go through 3 clutches a year they have a lining on them that just breaks up, Same cc as a FS250:bowdown: But .3 hp less (seems like more lol)
The corcrete saws are Ok though we have one that you would swear has bugger all compression but cuts like a demon

Well I wasn't downing his machine at all. He was ticked the other guy was gone and acted like a Stihl dealer should carry parts for all makes. He apparently didn't change his filter often enuff, the motor was shot, no compression at all. He was upset but he should have left his temper outside.

I've seen those Makita concrete saws over at Home Depot in their rental center. Not a bad looking machine. They been renting them out for quite sometime over there so they must be pretty decent to hold up with the rental customers.

Im 20 pages int Prince of saws lol real shame i missed that one

Awwwwwwwww the Prince was a doosey, we had alot of fun in that thread. The saw in that thread, the Mighty 441 is out in my shed. Been perfect since day one. No issues of any kind. Did ya ever see the little vid I did with that saw called Hardwood? Everyone was swearing it wouldn't cut hardwood with a 460. So I got me a hammer to prove the wood was rock hard. I put on some Elvis and proceeded to show em in 20 inch wood tant much difference in the cut with a 441 or a 460. Gotta check that out sometime, you'll get a kick out of that one...

I found that old vid, enjoy,

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view&current=hardwood.flv

Last edited:
Awwwwwwwww the Prince was a doosey, we had alot of fun in that thread. The saw in that thread, the Mighty 441 is out in my shed. Been perfect since day one. No issues of any kind. Did ya ever see the little vid I did with that saw called Hardwood? Everyone was swearing it wouldn't cut hardwood with a 460. So I got me a hammer to prove the wood was rock hard. I put on some Elvis and proceeded to show em in 20 inch wood tant much difference in the cut with a 441 or a 460. Gotta check that out sometime, you'll get a kick out of that one...

Ive seen it and all your vids in the same place. One of the reasons i got a 7900 if its good enough for you its good enough for me that and the fact it was $400 less than a 361!!!!!!!
Leaks oil real good the ply in my van will never rot

Ive seen it and all your vids in the same place. One of the reasons i got a 7900 if its good enough for you its good enough for me that and the fact it was $400 less than a 361!!!!!!!
Leaks oil real good the ply in my van will never rot

I like that 7900, thats a cutting huzzy. I've heard others talk of leaking oil problems with that saw but to date mine has never leaked a drop. I haven't used mine very much but so far no leaks of any kind.

Speaking of 361's. My freind Eddie gave me a nice 361 a while back. He was using it as a test saw. They would burn it up on purpose and then evaluate the damage and rebuild it. One of his students stripped out the one of the cylinder holes in the case. So he got a new test saw and gave me that one. He even tossed in a new cylinder and piston. I re-did the threads and put it back together and for some reason that saw runs stronger than my other almost like new 361. I can't figure out why but it does though both of em do run pretty good.

Well Willard since I can tell you are not a smart man by switching to husky I'm going to help ya out. I can't see your 044 now but my old 044 was designed the same way as this 440. I have made a yellow arrow pointing to the better Stihl handle design. There are flat spots on the starter handle that mesh with the starter handle seat to keep the handle from "rotating". Is this a big deal to anyone? Don't think so since I can spin my 2171's handle 360 degrees without it even running. You are the only guy I know of that has mentioned a "problem" with any saws starting system, LOL. So the Stihl is the better handle and overall the better saw. Better built, better handling, more power.

You boys just can't accept the #3 position can ya?.:D Give it up on the BS, we have heard enough of the nit picking, carry it somewhere else.:clap:

attachment.php

Like I said in my earlier post even with the D-shaped hole the Stihl starter handle will still rotate and always end up in the backwards position and all Stihlheads know that. .[ The handle was designed to be held one way.] The Husky handle is a even sided T , it doesn't matter where it spins to. I have run Stihl for years and when I had their handles on I always had that extra step to turn it back to get the proper grip. The heavier side of the handle falls forward during cutting.Poor design.
Now try and absorb this information!

Last edited:
Man Holmen, you sure are windy and over some of the most subjective criteria in a saw. You are the man-who-would-be-king of the tempest in a teapot. I cant imagine that guys that do this for a living would pick these kind of knits, especially if they work for a big logging out fit were they might not even be using the same saw if the company changes over or their normal saw is being serviced. This is not an office job where you gotta have the perfect ergonomic chair. Also ergonomics are different for every person. I happen to like my homelite 750's best because it feels good to use them and they cut faster than most of the other stuff that I use. My mac 125 has a much better feel to ME tham the 084's that I have and in spite of this I like ALL of the saws I own of all brands! As for my credibility, well I have been felling big trees for removal and for firewood for 18 years and have worked for an arborist as a ground guy. I am a personal trainer now by trade but in the beginning when I wasn't making a full living through that I was selling firewood too to supplement my income. Now I do these other tree jobs on the weekends for saw money. This not counting my young years helping my grandfather and uncles log off the family farm and bring in firewood for many local familys. I know that I am not a proffessional logger and don't claim to be but when you say that I an not credible because Tommy and I took some time to have some fun cutting a few cookies that is a big assumption and narrow minded. I own all brands of saw including a husky and I like what I like.

Sorry to have hurt your feelings there Hoss. When I worked as a faller for the big logging outfit, I owned my own saws and serviced them my self. I used my saws 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, ergonomics are everthing. Ask a good mechanic about Snap On tools. Let me tell you another things about Stihl saws. While logging back in the 80s and early 90s,There were mostly Huskys and Jonsereds in our part of the world. The Stihls ran very poorly from the carb icing up in our winters,everyone called the Stihl the good summer saw. To keep my Stihls running in the 30 below and snow , I had to wrap duct tape over the gap between the top cover and airfilter cover and put lots of duct tape over the rewind housing to cut down on the snow and cold air .I still had problems. On the real cold days I would run my Jonsered. Stihl didn't eliminate the icing problem until the mid 1990s with the heated carb [Artic version.]

Sorry to have hurt your feelings there Hoss. When I worked as a faller for the big logging outfit, I owned my own saws and serviced them my self. I used my saws 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, ergonomics are everthing. Ask a good mechanic about Snap On tools. Let me tell you another things about Stihl saws. While logging back in the 80s and early 90s,There were mostly Huskys and Jonsereds in our part of the world. The Stihls ran very poorly from the carb icing up in our winters,everyone called the Stihl the good summer saw. To keep my Stihls running in the 30 below and snow , I had to wrap duct tape over the gap between the top cover and airfilter cover and put lots of duct tape over the rewind housing to cut down on the snow and cold air .I still had problems. On the real cold days I would run my Jonsered. Stihl didn't eliminate the icing problem until the mid 1990s with the heated carb [Artic version.]

Maybe you have answered this in a past post that I missed...

Why did you stay with Stihl so long? It seems you owned/tried other brands and could have switched umpteen years ago.

I currently own saws from the Echo, Stihl, and Husky lines. I grew up cutting firewood with Homlites and Sachs Domlar; All very good saws. Just to let you know I'm not a one, and only one, brand kind of a user.

Well, I service/rebuild/ take care of my own saws too. And though I never went 5 days a week 8hrs aday I have put 5 days in a row sometimes 8hrs sometimes 5 and sometimes with an 090. Now you bring up somthing different with the cold weather running. Ok I have never run a saw in cold enough weather that it affected the saw. It just doesn't get that cold here. But in the cold that we DO have I have never had a problem with any saw that I have owned. So what it seems to me that you are saying is that IF I were in exactly your weather circumstances and only had stihl, husky and jonsereds to choose from then I would want the j-red or the husky (at least back then). Ok mybe if it is a legit function issue and not an ancillary item, but these are not my issues and I am judging by different criteria. I have always been a function over form guy and will admit that cutting ability is more important to me than these other items. In all my years using a saw and interacting with the fella's that also use saws I have never heard the kind of discussion you have initiated here. I understand that your conditions were different and that is why I would not have made declarative statements about your situation without having been there or knowing you better. To me it never mattered about the ergonomics or the dawgs or the carb screws (if I have to spend enough time adjusting the carb that THAT begins to matter then I will get another saw) I worry about the right mix , a sharp chain and not pinching the saw or putting the saw in the dirt. No matter how long my days are thosse are MY concerns. If a company could claim the highest hp numbers per cc class and reliability and had marginally less of the other stuff you mention 8 guys out of 10 that work with thier saws will get That saw every time.

Have you ever even run a saw??

You obviously know nothing about tuning a saw. Witness marks on the
screwdriver!!! LMFAO!!!!!

If you don't know how to hold a saw wide open and tune it maybe you should go play shuffleboard.

Extra weight of the Elastostart????!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

By your statement you have obviously never replaced an Elastotart rope...You don't have to tie them silly!!!!

Your opinion on the rear handle...Why is the rear handle square and the front handle round? Explain it!!!!!!!

You have discredited yourself from the start of your post in this thread....Along with your claim of cutting 2 million trees in another. You were fully called on that little statement...Your BS factor is over the top!!!!

Once again...The basic design of your new wonder saw has existed since the 272 way back in the day...even the square handle. If these items are so important you would have been running the Swede saw all of this time, so you are either full of it or you screwed yourself for not figuring it out sooner. You found the 372 at the end of its lifespan, sorry about your luck.

Happy sawing:clap:

_Yes there is a witness mark on chainsaw carb screwdrivers.
_ You wot the saw up with both hands on saw after making your micro adjustments with the screwdriver.
_when the 044 started to put on weight in the later years the Elastostart was one of them plus that roll of starter rope is no longer good for anything.
_I like tieing my ropes.
_The front handle has to be round because it has to be a pivot point when the operator goes with different grips from limbing, falling and bucking. The more square rear handle of the Husky offers more twisting power for the right hand when changing those different cutting angles putting less stress on your left top handle hand.Plus you have a firmer grip on the saw while bucking and limbing. Both hands are more balanced in the effort.
_2 million trees cut, yeah I guess to an hourly paid machinist who cuts a little firewood on the side that would seem impossible. Go back to that old thread [ 1/3 notch rule ] about a month or 2 ago and read what me and the other pros had to say.
_The last Husky I ran before my new 372 was a red one ,Jonsered 630 in the early 1980s. I started running Stihls in our neck of the woods when no one else was. I just wanted to be different. Being different got me a job working for Stihl. When I quit on them I felt I let them down so I stayed loyal to them for another 19 years after .
_ The 575 XP or 576XP will be a fine saw I'm sure.

Last edited:
Homie it looks like you've rattled on till you got yourself in bit of a bind here. All these little things you point out about your new 372 as features may well seem like features to you but as you can see from the responces not just by me but others as well many don't agree with your opinon. I really don't understand what your trying to prove. I told you before if you like the 372 better thats all fine and dandy. You don't need to convince me or anyone else on by pointing all these little things you consider features. Enjoy that saw, run it and be happy. There's no need for to justify your purchase to anyone. Your rave over it has gone beyond the normal pale of most users I know of.

I have noticed you don't respond to more obvious facts when they are pointed out to you. You made no reply of the starter handle I showed you on my 372, why not. Was that a pizz poor rope job or not? Does it matter to me, not at all but the way you carry on it should have bugged you. You joked that I screwed up the case on my 372 on purpose instead of merely admitting its a defective saw right out of the same factory where your 372 came from. My 372 runs fine Homie but that doesn't excuse it from being what it is, a defective saw, a very costly defect I have never seen in a Stihl to date. I showed you a 044 and a 372 sitting side by side with screwdrivers in the carb adjust slots. One on the right, one on the left. There is no advantage either way in my opinion. When pointed out with a camera you had no comment. I showed those big strong spring mounts on the 441 and once again you had no comment. You can ignore all ya want but the pics do not lie and they were there for anyone to see, not just you. Many others commented, had fun and carried on but you never said a word. If your taking everything serious with these saws then you need to admit some of the obvious when its pointed to you.

Finally and foremost you made mention a credibilty issue with Hoss and me as though we're not quaifiled somehow to judge a saw on its merit. Hoss has over 60 saws, I just counted mine, I got 45 all toll and several different brands as does Hoss. Your sig says you own 8. I've given away a helluva lot more saws than that Homie and many on this site can vouch for that. Your a arbortist or timber faller. You probably do have more cut time under your belt but experiance with saws in general I doubt it. Have you ever tried a Dolmar. If you think that 372 is a speed machine for its weight try a 7900 Dolmar and tell us what you think, the 7900 will bury that 372 without even breathing hard. I'm just a little saw fixer upper man Homie. I've repaired thousands of saws and I've sold thousands of saws. I too have talked to many many aborists and tree fallers but I've never had one carry on about little things like you do. The pro guys I have talked to over the years have never made issues out of the piddly things you speak of. You make bones about switching to Husky, I sit and grin knowing I've switched many many many Husky users over to Stihl and they've have never looked back. In all Homie the point I'm making is this. The engineers didn't pay any mind to you, some the guys on this site have taken issue with you so maybe you should re-think your approach. Your present approach of spouting hoop la over nothing seems to be catching up with ya. I just thought I'd be kind enuff to point it out to ya. I do admire the fight in ya I must say but those soft punches of piddly things you throw out are gonna leave you laying on the matt 99.9% of the time. The Husky camp isn't going to mock you over them but us on the other side are laffing our azzes off. Your gonna have to train harder Homie before I'll even let ya in the ring with me, I have too much moral fiber to be going to jail for beating up a lightweight, :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

_I don't feel no bind , what I stirred up here is better then talking about Scottish whisky or who bends over and who does the poking. Come on that was pretty bad. I only did you a favor by keeping this thread going talking about saws only.
_About your picture of the 372 rope hanging out of the handle ,that really looks phoney to me , why would I bother commenting on that . The picture of the oil hole, You keep that saw just to use as a sales pitch to sell more Stihl saws. You even admited later that it is only one of millions of saws.
_ The picture of the 2 saws , left and right carb settings. LOL, what does that prove? The real proof is what I have already explained.
_ The picture of the 441 spring ,thats the exact reason the Stihls are getting heavier . I have never heard of a broken spring on a Husky from my Husky friends.
_ I got a shed full of old Jonsereds, Stihls . Never bothered to count them all, even got a Sachs Dolmar rotary in there somewhere. My 8 saws in my signature are my best condition saws .Even the Yamaha YZ 125 hotsaw which I built 25 yrs ago ,in 1983 is on my sig. Its not used for work of course ,only for competition. I have been competiting in timbersports for over 30 years and I have made friends with the best in the world ,so I know my saws.
_ Yeah I tried a Dolmar years ago. A Sachs Dolmar 123. Cut like crazy,even very light and not bad for ergonomics, but was really hard on fuel and vibrated apart . I'm told the new Dolmars are much the same.
_ Be honest ,the only guys taking issue with me are Stihlheads.
_ In the ring ? Man you really are a crazy. Speaking of moral fibre you sure brung that fibre up with your boyfriend when you offered him the Raison Bran.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

_Yes there is a witness mark on chainsaw carb screwdrivers.
_ You wot the saw up with both hands on saw after making your micro adjustments with the screwdriver.
_when the 044 started to put on weight in the later years the Elastostart was one of them plus that roll of starter rope is no longer good for anything.
_I like tieing my ropes.
_The front handle has to be round because it has to be a pivot point when the operator goes with different grips from limbing, falling and bucking. The more square rear handle of the Husky offers more twisting power for the right hand when changing those different cutting angles putting less stress on your left top handle hand.Plus you have a firmer grip on the saw while bucking and limbing. Both hands are more balanced in the effort.
_2 million trees cut, yeah I guess to an hourly paid machinist who cuts a little firewood on the side that would seem impossible. Go back to that old thread [ 1/3 notch rule ] about a month or 2 ago and read what me and the other pros had to say.
_The last Husky I ran before my new 372 was a red one ,Jonsered 630 in the early 1980s. I started running Stihls in our neck of the woods when no one else was. I just wanted to be different. Being different got me a job working for Stihl. When I quit on them I felt I let them down so I stayed loyal to them for another 19 years after .
_ The 575 XP or 576XP will be a fine saw I'm sure.

I know there are witness marks on the screwdrivers, they are not used by anyone who really knows how to tune a saw. See above.

Both hands? You are lost....

Put on weight?? Do a search and see how many members retrofit Elastostart handles to non-Stihl saws. If this feature was on the Husqvarna you would be crowing like a Cock on a barn roof over it!!! Preventing shock transmission to the wrist is way more important than the .15 ounce weight difference.

I asked you to explain the square handle and you tried, but failed. Both hands have to rotate, so either way Husky is wrong.

The Pros cashed you out on your 2 million tree claim...dont make me quote the beating you took on that...I actually felt sorry for you and the beating you took.

I'll say it again...If all these Husky features are so important you screwed yourself by not getting the saw earlier.

I know the 576 will be a fine saw...they are all fine saws...you are the moron trying to act like they are not!!!!

Happy Sawing!!!:)

I found that old vid, enjoy,

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view&current=hardwood.flv

He he he he everyone knows Ms and prince is an oxymoron, just
don't fit. Now husky hmmmm now that sounds more like a mans saw
or king. I don't want my saws named like a chick and then being portrayed
as a prince that would make it a he-she :hmm3grin2orange: jmo

Anyway just stopped by, my dawgs are callin, first light
to last; well at least I won't have to be cleaning air filters
all day:laugh: Until I get wore down, keepin it real, time to warm
the bucket truck ohhhh the joys of work!

Last edited:
_ The picture of the 441 spring ,thats the exact reason the Stihls are getting heavier . I have never heard of a broken spring on a Husky from my Husky friends.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm just a non-pro idiot that sells firewood, but I've seen a few broken mounts on Husky saws.

hello I previously had a 441 and sold it and got the 372XP to replace it.since having both I prefer the 372.Its lighter and handles better.And i used to think they had no lower end power,I was wrong it has every bit as much
as the 441,and has more top end than the 441.It start 3 times easier.
I do notice the 372 is louder,but maybe because its a non epa saw.
They are pretty much even on AV.Build quality is pretty much equal.
But since having both I prefer the 372 and yes it will outcut the 441
not by much but it will outcut it

Back