Husky 385 or Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Which one should I get the Husky or the Dolmar. I only wonder about how long the dolmar will run compared to the husky. I have dealers close by for both.

compare 390 and dolmar. 385 old hat now...

I woud go 390, all parts same as 385 anyway except for barrel and piston. At least you know all the other parts are a proven sucess!

besides, no one laughs at the guy with the husky :monkey:

Which one should I get the Husky or the Dolmar. I only wonder about how long the dolmar will run compared to the husky. I have dealers close by for both.

Regarding your question about longetivity I would put my money on the saw that has the bigger bore for the same hp, which would be the 385. At least that's my general experience, a 200hp V8 will last longer than a 1,6l turbocharged 4cyl engine. But I would go for the lighter saw anyway, which would be the 7900 since many people seem to like'em. The 390 however, is another story ;)

compare 390 and dolmar. 385 old hat now...

I would go 390, all parts same as 385 anyway except for barrel and piston. At least you know all the other parts are a proven sucess!

besides, no one laughs at the guy with the husky :monkey:

The clutch is stronger as well, but they may be using that one on the 385 as well by now. There is no point in getting the 385 when the 390 is around (unless it is bargain priced), my guess is that the 385 will be out of the lineup pretty soon, as the differense between them really are too small to keep both models in the line-up.

The Dolmar is much lighter, so if you are going to move much around with the saw, that is the one to get.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my 385. I'd prolly go for the 390 but like troll said, i got a deal on mine otherwise i would have gone for the 390. The only Dolmar i have is the 5100. It's an awesome saw, but it feels different.....not bad,just different. For me it's a no brainer, go for the husky.

Ok I can get the Dolmar for roughly 715.00 or the Husky for 770.00. I know there is a big weight diff how much of a power difference is there between these two saws. Oh I should also add that if I buy the dolmar I have a dealer nearby if I buy the Husky it will be online.

the Dolmar is cheaper and it is coming from a dealer......thats a no brainer,give your local dealer the business,save money and get the better saw....everybody wins!!

Husky/dolmar

Husky needs a 90cc to run with a 79cc Dolmar, and an extra almost 3lbs. That is laughable material right there. I know I can't stop laughing. Matter of fact, when I go home today and am running my 7900, I'll be laughing about the 385 the whole time, lmfao... :jawdrop: :laugh: :buttkick: :jester:

Dude

Husky needs a 90cc to run with a 79cc Dolmar, and an extra almost 3lbs. That is laughable material right there. I know I can't stop laughing. Matter of fact, when I go home today and am running my 7900, I'll be laughing about the 385 the whole time, lmfao... :jawdrop: :laugh: :buttkick: :jester:

Dude

Try not to drop any trees on power lines while you're laughing.

Can't vouch for the 7900 but I recently purchased a 390. I actually sold my year and a half old ported 660 to get the Husky. I don't regret it one single bit. It has 4 tanks through it now and it runs better than the 660 did with the dual port muffler. Damn good saw. The dolmar is 79cc and the 390 is 88cc. The 372 full wrap from Baileys is 74.5cc which would be a closer comparison. I'd get the 390, just my 2 cents. Mine was shipped to my door with a 28" bar & 3 chains for $816. My local dealer said he can't buy it for that at his cost.

I decided to go with the 7900 I bought it from Amicks since it is only about an hour drive from here got a big Hickory Im going to take down soon so we will see how she runs.

congrats on the 7900

John Dolmar's right on,that 7900 is just one mean.....
JT your going to be thrilled with the performance of your new saw,the 7900 is one of those saws that is a kick in the pants to use.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back