Husky 435 - Starting secrets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, haven't posted on here for a few years now. I moved to a 10 acre lifestyle block (as we call them in NZ) 18 months ago and I have lots of firewood options. But I did a stupid thing and sold my awesome J'red CS 2141s a year before moving. I struggled thru the first winter with a POS chinese POS saw but really need a saw that goes great and is easy to handle and will last!. I'm pretty sold on the Husky 435. I'd love another J'red 2141 but they don't import them into NZ anymore so the 435 looks to be the closest in performance and value. I've done a fair amount of research and the reviews for this saw are great but a few people talk about probs with cold starting. Has any other owners of the 435 had cold starting issues or is it more a user error?

Any 'starting' secrets would be appreciated. Thanks everyone

Shayne

I have a 435 that I bought as a backup, it starts and runs fine if you follow the instructions in the manual. I will say though, that I think it's a little under powered and tends to bog down in anything bigger than about 12". You will need to run it at WOT to get the best performance. On the plus side it's very frugal on juice and is a well made saw for the money. For serious cutting I use my Stihls !!

I would say the 435 is a tad small for a firewood saw. Its a great little saw in an awesome lightweight package, but its intention was not firewood on an average scale. I would say you're looking at a 450 or larger in the Husky lineup in order to be happy with your purchase, and a 353 would probably be perfect for you.

I have the 455 and it uses the same controls only I don't think the 435 has a decomp valve. On cold start, pull the choke out all the way. This will set the fast idle and pop the ignition on. Make sure the chain brake is on. Pull the starter until it coughs. Do NOT touch the throttle. Push in the choke and pull the starter again. The saw will start on fast idle.

Mine nearly always coughs on the second pull and instantly starts once I reset the choke lever and pull. I have found this to be the case into single digit temps and have had zero issues with my 455. Keep it clean and it will treat you well.

I have the 455 and it uses the same controls only I don't think the 435 has a decomp valve. On cold start, pull the choke out all the way. This will set the fast idle and pop the ignition on. Make sure the chain brake is on. Pull the starter until it coughs. Do NOT touch the throttle. Push in the choke and pull the starter again. The saw will start on fast idle.

Mine nearly always coughs on the second pull and instantly starts once I reset the choke lever and pull. I have found this to be the case into single digit temps and have had zero issues with my 455. Keep it clean and it will treat you well.

Youre 455 does not have the same controls as the 435. The 435 shares controls with the 440, 445, 450, 555, and 562xp. 455 shares with 353, 346xp, 357xp, 359, 570, 576xp, 350, 345, 340....

Youre 455 does not have the same controls as the 435. The 435 shares controls with the 440, 445, 450, 555, and 562xp. 455 shares with 353, 346xp, 357xp, 359, 570, 576xp, 350, 345, 340....

Yes, physically they are not identical, but the starting procedure is the same, correct?

Starting procedure is the same in general for every saw technically.

Starting instructions are on a label:
435-10_1880.jpg

I got a 435 refurb a few weeks back as a Trail/Limbing saw. Only ran it once, it had a gas tank leak, so it was returned. The replacement will arrive later this week. Started fine. Here's a thread on the 435R.

I have a 455 for the bigger firewood. The starting procedures are different.

Personally i have never seen a Husky that is hard to start,Hot,Cold or in between! (providing it is looked after)...cant say that about all brands ive seen ;)

Personally i have never seen a Husky that is hard to start,Hot,Cold or in between! (providing it is looked after)...cant say that about all brands ive seen ;)

:agree2: And there are the magic words. Personally, I've never had any trouble with any of my Stihls and Dolmars, but then I look after my tools.

thanks all so far.. I know flooding a chainsaw can be a real recipe for hard starting and I was just wondering if the 'starting' problems some users of the 435 have experienced was a design fault or user error ... I'm going with the later :)

As for the 435 not being big enough. I know what I will be using it for and my old 2141 would have been easily big enough ... and the 435 is pretty identical in spec so I know it will 'cut' it lol I only have a small electric splitter and I get a heap of wind fall around my property which the 435 should eat for breakfast. :rock:

To start a flooded saw.....choke open/off....switch on....hold throttle wide open....pull rope(like you mean it) until it starts.... (should start within 4-8 pulls).... if it doesn't start.....let it set and try it again later.

Think outside the box.......too much fuel.....decrease fuel increase air supply.........

Other things to check: spark plug, air filter, person who continued to pull the rope with the choke on after saw popped.

Hi, haven't posted on here for a few years now. I moved to a 10 acre lifestyle block (as we call them in NZ) 18 months ago and I have lots of firewood options. But I did a stupid thing and sold my awesome J'red CS 2141s a year before moving. I struggled thru the first winter with a POS chinese POS saw but really need a saw that goes great and is easy to handle and will last!. I'm pretty sold on the Husky 435. I'd love another J'red 2141 but they don't import them into NZ anymore so the 435 looks to be the closest in performance and value. I've done a fair amount of research and the reviews for this saw are great but a few people talk about probs with cold starting. Has any other owners of the 435 had cold starting issues or is it more a user error?

Any 'starting' secrets would be appreciated. Thanks everyone

Shayne
buy a husky 353-------best saw you'll ever buy-:msp_smile:

Can't see the '353' listed anywhere so assume its been super-ceded by another model. Can't see any 353's second hand either. The problem I have is saws of this nature are very expensive in NZ. Even the little 435 has a retail of $799 but I can get it with a 10% discount. Any of the professional saws are well over $1000 and its just bucks I don't have to spend. My mate who I sold my J'red too was visiting last weekend and he cut up this old oak trunk that had been down for over 6 months. Sure he had to do several cuts in the bigger spots but he got thru it no problem. I'm sure the 435 is just an orange 2141 with some minor updates as its a new model. ;)

Can't see the '353' listed anywhere so assume its been super-ceded by another model. Can't see any 353's second hand either. The problem I have is saws of this nature are very expensive in NZ. Even the little 435 has a retail of $799 but I can get it with a 10% discount. Any of the professional saws are well over $1000 and its just bucks I don't have to spend. My mate who I sold my J'red too was visiting last weekend and he cut up this old oak trunk that had been down for over 6 months. Sure he had to do several cuts in the bigger spots but he got thru it no problem. I'm sure the 435 is just an orange 2141 with some minor updates as its a new model. ;)

can still buy the 353 here in the states----Baileys for one, just goggle husky 353--

That Sucks!!! you can buy the 435 from baileys referb for 150$ right now. also i have one and never had any trouble starting and it doesn't get used much anymore either, ALWAYS starts on the 3rd pull

That Sucks!!! you can buy the 435 from baileys referb for 150$ right now. also i have one and never had any trouble starting and it doesn't get used much anymore either, ALWAYS starts on the 3rd pull

if you order from a usa vendor, are the import taxes real high- is that what is driving your high costs?

I have the 455 and it uses the same controls...

Yes, physically they are not identical, but the starting procedure is the same, correct?
Which is it?

Starting procedure is the same in general for every saw technically.
Yep...

What helpful info...
You said it, not him. He was just responding to the information in your post. Words mean things; get you facts right and you don't have to worry about TK.

if you order from a usa vendor, are the import taxes real high- is that what is driving your high costs?

I'm not sure why the prices are so high. Always have been for name brand saws. Chinese 58cc knock-offs go for a little over $200 but they are cheap and nasty. You can get slightly cheaper name brands if you can find someone who has imported a few in (parallel imported its called here). In fact, I found a new Stihl MS250 for $800 which I might go for ($1000 retail). Extra grunt over the 435 ... and its a Stihl :) I haven't investigated what it would cost to import one direct from the states ... but if I have warranty issues I'm screwed! At least the cheaper stihl I mentioned has a 12 month warranty.

Back