Husky 435 - Starting secrets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could have someone here buy one and ship it to you? I'm not sure if that would work or not

Nice idea but I think onec exchange rates are taken into account, shipping costs and any import duty there would be little difference than buying locally.

You do tend to get ripped off on certain products when you live at the arse end of the world! :mad:

i use mine for firewood the same as you.i ve been cutting beech and oak without any pb for the last 2 years.
no pb starting . even at -27 celsius it started with 3 pulls.
put a sharp 95vpx chain and you will be amazed! Take care!!!

haha :clap:

Thanks to power of the net I found Makita saws (blue Dolmars) that are a little cheaper. Also found a thread I started last year about the same saw (DCS 4610). Just as I start to make a decision :msp_mellow:

Which is it?

Yep...

You said it, not him. He was just responding to the information in your post. Words mean things; get you facts right and you don't have to worry about TK.

I described the starting procedure. Was my description of the starting procedure incorrect? My description mirrors the sticker off the 435 that was posted. The fact that the controls are not physically identical is a straw man. The controls essentially function the same for a Husky with smart start.

This is not my first visit to a web forum, but feel free to feed your ego it that's what it takes. The OP asked for tips on starting this saw. What info have you, or the other internet tough guy, provided to help him in that regard?

Stratocharged saws.

I own the Husky 445 which is a next size larger version of the 435. Keep in mind that these saws are stratocharged. They are easy to start and starting them cold or hot is not a problem. Stratocharged saws tend to be cold blooded and take a longer time to get warmed up. Until stratocharged saws become fully warmed up, they tend to lack power. When fully warmed up, these saws become screamers.

haha :clap:

Thanks to power of the net I found Makita saws (blue Dolmars) that are a little cheaper. Also found a thread I started last year about the same saw (DCS 4610). Just as I start to make a decision :msp_mellow:

Those Makita-branded Dolmars are fine saws, and if they're priced right for you would be a good alternative to what you're considering.

Otherwise for about the same money, I'd certainly go for the MS250 over the Husky 435. But do check into the Makita line. :msp_smile:

I described the starting procedure. Was my description of the starting procedure incorrect? My description mirrors the sticker off the 435 that was posted. The fact that the controls are not physically identical is a straw man. The controls essentially function the same for a Husky with smart start.

This is not my first visit to a web forum, but feel free to feed your ego it that's what it takes. The OP asked for tips on starting this saw. What info have you, or the other internet tough guy, provided to help him in that regard?

I made no comment on your starting procedure which was accurate. However, you made a factually inaccurate statement and then got defensive when someone pointed it out. You are correct, the basic controls may be similar, but then again, that can be said of most chainsaws that have dual-lever controls. In this case, your strawman is just a poor attempt at throwing a red herring into the arguement.

Chill bro, its a little thread from a dude at the bottom of the world lol ... as my son would say ... 'Its all goods' :)

I'm going to throw another brand into the mix here ... Oleo-Mac or as they are branded in the US - Efco. They do a saw with the same specs as the 435 and its $75 cheaper. Not a hell of a lot of info out there but watched some youtube clips of it in action last night and looks to be a good runner and Oleo Mac are known to be dependable and rugged saws.

Those Makita-branded Dolmars are fine saws, and if they're priced right for you would be a good alternative to what you're considering.

Otherwise for about the same money, I'd certainly go for the MS250 over the Husky 435. But do check into the Makita line

Ok, the Makita is actually even $50 cheaper than Oleo-Mac but would be an online purchase as opposed to a store bought one. I do like the idea of having store backing but money talks and if I can get this type of saw for under $600 then I'd be very happy. I've discounted the MS250 coz of the extra cost.

So now its down to three. :rock:

Last edited:
I would buy the Makita, there great saws, that's coming from someone who has the 435, it's a great saw but a bit underpowered IMO

Makita range discontinued in NZ, Can order them off the NZ Makita site but they are delivered out of the UK, which adds delivery cost and the possibility of import duties. :(

How much is the saw?

You have to remember the NZ dollar is only worth 80c US so exhange rates tend to dent any gains made from importing something yourself.

And to be honest, I'd rather buy local to ensure I have service backup, but thanks for investigating for me.

The secret

The starting secret is buying one, then your started!

I have a customer that bought a 435 a little over a year ago, last time I saw him which was in October to date the had cut 80 full cord with it (18" x 4' highx 24' long). All smaller stuff and nothing larger than 24" at the butt. That saw has taken a beating and is still going,running without an air filter since mid summer, and a spark plug held in by two threads (tree came back on the saw) I was amazed at its longevity and have already told him when it dies I want it, so I can examine it more and tear it down and make some measurements, and I will most likely give him a new 435 in exchange, I think Husqvarna hit a home run with the 435.

Here in Canada they are $320 and (sorry never been to NZ but have to AUS) $700 is about right.
Aren't you glad you have your own breweries in NZ.........a man would be able to afford to drink if it was imported!

That's great feedback, thanks. 80 chord ... that's a little more than 'occasional use' haha excellent. And 24 inch butts is probably way bigger than I will ever be cutting except on the very odd occasion. I have a friend with big huskys with big bars whose always happy to help me rip apart the big logs. :hmm3grin2orange: I know I'm getting the right size saw for my uses its just which one. But its hell fun doing the research and uncovering other options.

We can get Solo saws here too albeit from a hardware store not a dedicated mower/chainsaw shop. They look pretty good and I might be in a position to do the purchase this weekend. Its been a very cool summer here in NZ and I'm already lighting the fire and chomping thru my stack of firewood from last season so I need to get sawing. Can't bloody wait I can tell ya.

:yoyo:

Last edited:
Found the Makita in a hardware store ... big NZ chainstore called Mitre10 Mega and it was a only $500 so I bought it! :msp_thumbsup: Its certainly a funny looking beast and seriously dressed in plastic . But just putting the bar on showed a very uncluttered sprocket area and the saw feels very solid. Currently we are suffering thru a weather bomb at the moment - 100mph winds and driving rain so a test cut will have to wait.

Now I will look around for a big saw to add to my growing collection. (I have a small top handle saw as well)

:cool2:

Back