husky 460 or husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Leddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im going to buy a new saw and im up in the air with ether a husky 460 or a husky 359. Im leaning towards the 460 because of the price. But i want a good saw that can easily handle 7 chords of wood a season and something that will last a while.

comments please
john

Last edited:
359 is a better saw, IMHO it's on par with many pro quality saws.

It responds really well to a muffler mod and is super easy and rewarding to port.

Well... looks like they are pretty close! The 359 is a little lighter, and has a tad more horsepower... for an extra $100!

I have never used a 359.... But my buddy has a 460, and really likes it! I have cut with it - and it cuts and handles really well...

Last edited:
359. If memory serves, the 359 is the same as the 357 just a diff. cyl. and something with the crankcase volume. But i could be wrong too. But i'd still go with the 359.

Either one will do just fine....

I own the 359 and it's a great saw but the 455/460 are underrated IMO. I've heard from a reliable source that the 460 will outcut the 359. The 359 is a better design with a magnesium crankcase that's easier to rebuild. It also shares many parts with the 357xp. It's a tad more slim & lighter (than the 460)but more expensive. The 460 is a bit heavier but still shares the excellent air filtering system & good antivibration system.

Tdunk, you are bang on, different cylinder with a couple extra CCs, crank stuffers and different stickers on the cover. Also the 359 has a Cat muffler that does well to be replaced with a 357 non EPA muffler (Bolt on).

Ported up 359 is a wicked saw, smokes a stock 372, even slights a 395 in small wood.

Last edited:
460 or 359

I would also go for the 359 its more of a pro saw. That said the 460 is a good
solid built saw to it would do all you want and more. The 455 and 460 are
better built than some of the cheaper models, at least the 455 I had anyway
did have a metal crankcase. That was an 07 model I assume they are still
built that way.

359 is more "rebuildable"

The 359 is a better quality saw in that it has a mangesium crankcase and traditional 2 stroke design that's fairly easy to tear down & rebuild. If you burn up the cylinder & piston, it's cheaper & easier to fix. Hopefully, you wont have to do this so that may seem like a moot point.
The 460 has a plastic crankcase that might have trouble sealing & more expensive cylinder/piston if you ever have to replace. If you don't plan on modifying the saw, I would lean towards the 460 for a 20" or longer bar. You're cutting dead hard firewood and I think the 359 is better suited for 18" bar.

i would be cutting oak and ash for the most part. If i get the 359 would a 20" bar be a good fit for them types of woods?

Last edited:
16-20" works well, I personally would not go over 20". Over 20" and the balance feels off making it front heavy and tiering to use. If you need more bar than 20" for the wood you're cutting you really need more saw than 60CCs.

3fiddy9.

get rid of the etech muffler and that saw is good to go to work.

haven't run the 460 husky but if it is anything like the 455 your best bet is the 359. that 455 is a turd.

ive got an 18 on mine. wouldnt go too much longer than that, especially on the hard wood.

good luck

i bought a 460 this summer before I joined here.I love it,along with my 345,both great saws for me,just cutting for myself.My 460 rips thru just about anything i need it too.i have a 20" bar,and husky 3/8" .050 chain.

Get LGX chain

I assume you're buying from a local dealer? Go and handle both saws if you haven't already. You'll be lugging one or the other around so make sure it's comfortable. Also, ask the dealer to put Oregon LGX chain on the saw. If he won't, buy a loop and switch it ASAP. It's a huge improvement over the safety chain.

im new to the saw world and never could have dreamed plastic crankcases, plastick suport a crank is something nightmares are made of. .

pro saws wether stihl or husky can be rebuilt for 100-200 bucks many 60CC saws can get pistion kits and cylinder for 120. i think thats reason alone to go pro. mostly because a saw is for a lifetime. and as life goes all things need refreshed after hard use.

go pro.

i just bought a used 359 for $250. theyre on ebay sometimes actualy i think theres a like new one on ebay right now for 300 something. might be worth checkn into.

good luck

Evan

455 rancher

I had a 455 for a season. It does have a magnesium piece or plate for the bottom of the crankcase encased in plastic. Mine was a turd when I first got it. Then I found this site. Its been said that the 455 does not respond well to mods, probably. Mine woke the heck up with two half inch holes in the muffler though, louder than all get out! I ran it against my buddy's stock 455 and mine kicked butt. We tweaked his saw soon after. IMHO stock its a turd plastic POC modified its a fast, loud, plastic POC. get the 359 or better yet a Dolmar.

Back