**Husky 50 Special?**

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked one up the other day, asking $75, got it for $60. Not a bad deal huh? Very very clean saw, but not running, figured I could sell it for a parts saw for what I bought it for if I could not get it running. Any Way, the question is:
The saw has very low compression, 50lbs. The kid I bought it from said that his neighbor had put in a new piston and rings 2-3 years ago, and he only ran it a couple times afterwards before he had problems and shelved it for 2 years until I bought it. I'm doubting that it ever ran after the new piston and rings! After the compression test reading 50lbs, I squirted a bit of oil on the piston and rings, gave her a couple pulls, and re tested the compression, got 75lbs this time! Does this sound like a someone did an inproper job installing the piston and rings? Anything else should I be looking at? Nothing appears to be scored or burnt up.

Thanks for the help?

Yes, Looked at the piston

Yes I pulled the muffler and all seems to check out ok. Planning on tearing it apart here in the next few days whenever I get time.

Saw Troll?

So what I get from that link you posted is that if I need a complete cylinder replacement that it will now be a 44mm, but I can still get the 45mm piston and rings? Am I reading this correctly?

Last edited:
Is this true, found it on another post?

"being a 50 special, it may have a closed port cylinder. Some 50 specials were 44mm with closed port cylinders and others were 45mm with open port cylinders. basically it was special because both version ran a tad better than the regular 50."

Is this true?

So what I get from that link you posted is that the original 45mm piston is now replaced by a 44mm. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, but the 45mm piston & ring still should be availiable, just not the 45mm cylinder.
Someone may have misread it, or missed the fact that the saw has a 45mm cylinder (51cc vs. 49).

Edit;

LOL, you edited while I posted - you got it right in your edited post......

Last edited:
"being a 50 special, it may have a closed port cylinder. Some 50 specials were 44mm with closed port cylinders and others were 45mm with open port cylinders. basically it was special because both version ran a tad better than the regular 50."

Is this true?

Don't know about all that, but you should see this also. Check the serial #.

I picked one up the other day, asking $75, got it for $60. Not a bad deal huh? Very very clean saw, but not running, figured I could sell it for a parts saw for what I bought it for if I could not get it running.

I can't add more to what the others have said, but I have slowly learned that no saw can be called a "deal" until you either a) get it running right for your personal use or b) resale it for a profit. I just bought an excellent condition Stihl 025 from a Husky dealer for $25. It has a scored piston. Good deal? Don't know yet.

Latest posts

Back