Husky 55 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought my Husky 55 used and I've always felt it didn't put enough oil to the bar, it doesn't use a tank of oil to a tank of gas. The bar's wear out faster on that saw too.

I've run it with a 3/8's, 20" bar and when it wore out, I bought a 3/8's, 16" bar for it. The 16" did seem to last longer.

Anyway, without an oil "adjuster" I figured it needed a new oiler, so I ordered one and put it in. When I took the old oiler out and compared it to the new one, I can't see any difference.. Am I missing something, or wasn't the old oiler bad??

I haven't run it with the new oiler yet, as I'm going to buy a new 16" bar for it....again!

SO, should I be able to see a difference between the new and old oilers?

SR

20" 3/8 is a lot for one of these saws. I believe the oiler is crank driven, not clutch driven. Let it run at idle for a little bit a then piss riv it a bit, oil should fly off the bar. in my experience these things oil plenty.

Correct, the 55's are crank driven, not clutch driven. They put PLENTY of oil to the bar when everything is working correctly, so if the new oil pump install doesn't improve oil delivery for sure look at the other items mentioned.

The 55's are best suited to an 18" .325" bar. They will pull 3/8" OK, but don't be in a big hurry and don't take much off the rakers along the way. One of the 55's I owned a while back was a later "Rancher" model and showed up with a 3/8" 20" bar/chain set-up. It didn't have nearly enough power for it, so I converted it to .325" and went back to an 18" bar. It ran that with decent authority, but not as well as my closed port 55's, which are stronger and faster than the open port......FWIW.....Cliff

Thanks guys, those are some good idea's for what to check...

As for the 3/8's chain, it runs it plenty good and it's been a good saw, I just need to deal with the oil issue...

Thanks again,

SR

It may be the bar, I had one saw oil just fine until you cut with it for a while, then the oil hole in the bar would plug up with sawdust. Seemed to be more of a problem in dry wood. Why it did this was beyond me, the oil hole was the same diameter as other bars I have, burrs in the hole grabbing the dust maybe? Chains were always sharp, but there is always some fine sawdust in the mix.

Latest posts

Back