Husky 55 problems - suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law and I were cutting wood and his Husky 55 started acting funny out of nowhere. It's never give a minutes trouble in it's 6-7 years of running. It got to where it wouldn't idle and was hard to start. Just happened to him between 2 passes through a 15" oak. I removed the top cover and immediately noticed that the spark plug was way loose- at least 1 full turn. Also, the back half of his air filter had popped loose from the front half. I tightened the plug and popped the air filter back on and got it running but it still doesn't want to idle and is hard to start. Should I simply install a new plug before I panic? I don't really see why the plug backing out would "ruin" the plug but maybe it could? Or, did he suck trash down in the carb due to the air filter being loose and toast his piston/jug? Compression still feels as good as ever but maybe I should remove the muffler and take a look... Suggestions?

Start simple. Get a new plug and air filter, and replace the fuel filter in the fuel tank. Then report back.

Also make sure the decompression button isnt stuck open or something

bad

I've seen that happen many times. Almost every time the piston is sandblasted with dirt. Ruined.
Stevie

It was the spark plug. I took it out and looked real close. The electode was loose. It would slide up and down allowing it to actually contact the tip and ground out thus, no spark. Put in new plug, snapped air filter back together and she ran perfect. I'm glad it didn't run long enough to sandblast the piston and jug.

I would go and get one of the newer model filter and bases that have the screw holding the filter on. Probably cost about $20 and don't have to worry about that filter falling off.
Stevie

Sounds like a plan

Our family does have a 55 Husky with that new style filter and that sounds like a good idea. Luckily his saw wasn't hurt.

Huskyman, I agree

Between 3 men in my family, we have 4 Husky 55 saws (2 Ranchers, 2 not) and we have had great luck with them. Go to the woods, cut wood till you're worn out. Do this over and over and the 55's just won't give up. I personally have an 026 PRO that I like the feel of better but I will NEVER knock the Husky 55. I'm simply not "brand-biased" I just like good equipment.

Latest posts

Back