Husky 55 stops reving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW I'm not questioning the hypothesis at this point I have a pretty open mind to any suggestions..

And I am pretty sure I replaced the fuel filter back in July when I started this thread..

I guess a reasonable test is to see if I can get the porous stone back out and try running it carefully without the porous stone in place.. that would tell me for sure if it's a vent problem or some other issue..

I suppose that is certainly a possibility. I will take a look when I get home on the carb model. If it where the carb would opening the fuel cap make a difference.. when I lean it over and just Crack it the thing runs like a scalded dog for as long as I am brave enough to hold the trigger..

I agree this is a classic symptom of a poorly vented saw but I am grasping at straws.

Have you tried turning it on its side and not opening the tank? Does it still die its sad death?
Is there any chance the fuel hose is too short and the filter is not reaching the fuel at the bottom of the tank?
Is it possible the new fuel hose has a hole in it and when you turn the saw on its side the hole is now covered by the fuel? Did you do the Fuel Tank Ventilation test that Pogo sent you earlier?

I have turned it on its side with the echo vent installed and sometimes it helped for a few minutes. I still try that before anything else when i get home. I think the fuel hose is adequately long. If anything I think i install them TOO long because I like to make it easier to get the hose/ filter out when its time for a new filter. I suppose is is always possible that the new fuel line has a hole. I've got like 20' of it so I may as well swap it out and see what happens, it doesn't take too much time or effort.

I have NOT done that pressure test method on the fuel tank. I have yest to put together a pressure/vac testing rig so I am not really setup to do that yet. I can take it back over to a buddies house though and have him do it. I hadn't read this thread for awhile and forgot about that. That makes more sense than uninstalling the porous stone just tor try it out.

I have turned it on its side with the echo vent installed and sometimes it helped for a few minutes. I still try that before anything else when i get home. I think the fuel hose is adequately long. If anything I think i install them TOO long because I like to make it easier to get the hose/ filter out when its time for a new filter. I suppose is is always possible that the new fuel line has a hole. I've got like 20' of it so I may as well swap it out and see what happens, it doesn't take too much time or effort.

I have NOT done that pressure test method on the fuel tank. I have yest to put together a pressure/vac testing rig so I am not really setup to do that yet. I can take it back over to a buddies house though and have him do it. I hadn't read this thread for awhile and forgot about that. That makes more sense than uninstalling the porous stone just tor try it out.

I have heard of a problem where aftermarket hose will actually collapse when a vacuum is applied by the carb. Are you using a good quality hose?

I assume its good, its not specifically made for chainsaws or anything but it is just fuel resistant tubing made by Watts. They make pretty high dollar industrial mechanical fittings (in addition to what they sell at home depot) so I assumed it was decent enough. I certainly can't pinch it shut with my fingers I wouldn't think the carb could create that great of a vacuum.

I assume its good, its not specifically made for chainsaws or anything but it is just fuel resistant tubing made by Watts. They make pretty high dollar industrial mechanical fittings (in addition to what they sell at home depot) so I assumed it was decent enough. I certainly can't pinch it shut with my fingers I wouldn't think the carb could create that great of a vacuum.

Sounds good - like I said, I'm grasping at straws.

Well hey I appreciate all the help I can get. I like to think I'm smart and can learn this stuff however I'm not certified 2 cycle mechanic. Just a guy who likes to tinker.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Going to be going to the clemson game tomorrow. I'll be back at it Sunday.

This is a very elementary but useful link to understanding the possible sources of your problems and how to methodically diagnose and fix them. Kinda cheesy and is using a string trimmer or leaf blower as an example, but the fundamentals still apply to your saw (sans the primer/purge stuff). Your tank vent should also vent both directions, (slowly), but not leak fuel.

This is a very elementary but useful link to understanding the possible sources of your problems and how to methodically diagnose and fix them. Kinda cheesy and is using a string trimmer or leaf blower as an example, but the fundamentals still apply to your saw (sans the primer/purge stuff). Your tank vent should also vent both directions, (slowly), but not leak fuel.

Pogo - I am still working on acquiring a pressure/vac tester. So I have taken it easy on my more complicated saws until I can set aside a few extra bucks to get a proper tester. Deal with the wife is saws have to pay for themselves.

Once I get the tester I will run a proper test on the tank and update the thread.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Latest posts

Back