Husky 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pardue10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of nice 61s sell on E-Bay for $325 or so. I am thinking about selling mine and getting a 372 or 7900. Am I missing something?

372xp

I had a 61 and sold it for that same amount. Bought a 372xp and there is no comparison in my mind. They weigh the same, but cut WAY different. The 372xp is worth the price difference. I decided to sell the 61 after I used a 350 for a while and refused to pick that heavy 61 back up. Used a buddies 372xp for about 5 seconds and drove away to go and buy one.

The 61 has a low power to weight ratio - if you can get anywhere near that kind of money for it - go for it........

The 61 has been around for a long time and will be around long after that 372 is toast...:)

I paid $100 for my 61 a couple months ago. Spent about 2 hours cleaning/tuning and doing general maintenance and she runs great. If I could get $325 for it I'd sell it in a heart beat. Anyone looking for a 61?????

They sell good because they interchange with half a dozen of Husqvarnas saws. You can bolt a 266, 268, or 272 cylinder and piston directly to your underpowered 61 and WAMO --- instant power.

They sell good because they interchange with half a dozen of Husqvarnas saws. You can bolt a 266, 268, or 272 cylinder and piston directly to your underpowered 61 and WAMO --- instant power.

That's good information.

True!

..but maybe you need another carb also, to take full advantage (haven't bothered to look into it, but the info is on Huskys web-site).....

I think the carbs are pretty much the same for the whole series.

Sawtroll,
While you are floating around in here, do you know the part number for a Husqvarna 257 cylinder head?

My 61 with modded muffler runs awesome. It would not compare with a 372 by any means,But I would run it against any saw of its own size.However the ability to pop a bigger jug does sound pretty good!

I don't own a 61 but my good buddy does. He swears by it. He's cut fire wood for many years to heat his home and take down some mighty big oaks over the same time frame.
He's replaced a few bars, chains and a couple fuel lines but that's it. Heavy? I'm not sure I've never used it for any long periods of time like him. However, he's only 32 6'-4" and 250lbs!
Jay

model 61, 61 Rancher, 66, 266se, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp and 268

The model 61, 61 Rancher, 66, 266se, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp and 268 are all based on the same case..

All the cylinders will fit on any version,...the carburetors are all Tillotson HS with probably slight variations of the jetting..

With proper operation and care they are practically indestructible.

I am very much enjoying my 266. I wish all mid 60cc saws cut with as much enthusiasm.:D It is not stock but it is as close as the parts I had would let me get.:chainsaw:

The model 61, 61 Rancher, 66, 266se, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp and 268 are all based on the same case..

You forgot the 162se and the 268se....:greenchainsaw:

All the versions of the Jonsered 630, 670 and 625 also are basically the same saws.

The "father" of all these saws was 162se.

Romeo, I love you!!! Thanks for the info, now when it's time to rebuild then I'll put a bigger piston and cylinder into it and have a bigger saw. That is great news. The saw is a bit heavy for it's power output, but If I can make it a bigger saw without any weight gain then I'll have a better saw.

How much difference would I see I put a 268 top end on my 61?
Matt

Latest posts

Back