Husky Chainsaw Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I got this saw with a bunch of other saws and I'm having trouble figuring out which model it is. The closest matchest I can find is a 40 or 144, but it isn't equipped with a chainbrake and the starter cover side looks a bit different.

Thanks a lot for the information JJ and ST. The bad thing is I'm pretty sure the guy I got the saw from had all the rest of the parts also because he said he started it and ran it. However he took the saw apart to try to put some mounts in it from like a 266xp and said they were too big...imagine that ;).

I can't seem to find much info on the 144SE, but according to mike acres site the 44 had a chainbrake? Or is it possible his info is incorrect? Also, if you see my modified attached pic it appears the starter cover is indented to go around the oil tank cap. Please excuse my rudimentary paint modification ;). I haven't seen any model that had this characteristic.

I can't seem to find much info on the 144SE, but according to mike acres site the 44 had a chainbrake? Or is it possible his info is incorrect? Also, if you see my modified attached pic it appears the starter cover is indented to go around the oil tank cap. Please excuse my rudimentary paint modification ;). I haven't seen any model that had this characteristic.

Inaccurate info sure happens when you collect the info that you get, and can't double-check it! That site is a massive effort, but there sure are some mistakes and inaccuracies there!

My take on the chain-break issue in the 1970s is that it depends on the time and the market the exact saw was made for - no firm answer!

Last edited:
Inaccurate sure happens when you collect the info that you get, and can't doublecheck it! That site is a massive effort, but there sure are some mistakes and inaccuracies there
I totally agree...I was in now way trying to demean the site as not an excellent resource for chainsaw model knowledge and info. I was just curious if that was an inaccuracy is all.

Ok JJ thanks for the info. I just read on some chronological husky timeline that in like 1973 that the husky 44 was the first husky with a chainbrake so I was just under assumption that all 44's had them.

I totally agree...I was in now way trying to demean the site as not an excellent resource for chainsaw model knowledge and info. I was just curious if that was an inaccuracy is all.

There actually are lots of mistakes, specially in the Partner section, where there are lots of misleading pictures + quite a few bore/stroke mistakes.

As you said, that doesn't change the fact that most info is correct, and the site is very helpful!

Ok JJ thanks for the info. I just read on some chronological husky timeline that in like 1973 that the husky 44 was the first husky with a chainbrake so I was just under assumption that all 44's had them.

Like Troll said too, it depended on the region they were sold in. For instance, a lot of saws sold later in Canada weren't required to have a brake, since they didn't adopt the industrial safety standards for forest workers that we did until years later. That's one reason you see a lot of 2100s without the brake.

Latest posts

Back