husky clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never worked on a Husky 61, but I can tell ya the basics. The clutch is under the sprocket drum. Take the side cover off the saw, remove the bar and chain. The sprocket is typically threaded on, but the threads are 'left-handed', they screw on in the opposite direction of normal. Remove the spark plug and stick in a piece of 3/8" fuel line or something that won't scratch the cylinder or leave debris in the cylinder. (DON'T use a screwdriver!) This will stop the engine from spinning when you take the sprocket off. Remove the sprocket by turning it CLOCKWISE (remember, the threads are reversed). The clutch is under the sprocket, typically 3 shoes (like miniature brake shoes) held in a circle by a spring. Slip the spring off with a screwdriver or something and R/R the clutch shoes. If you are going to do all that, go ahead and put on a new sprocket also. Screw on the new sprocket COUNTERCLOCKWISE (backwards threads) and snug it down. Put your spark plug back in, put the bar and chain back on, and you are good to go!
Normal mechanic's rules apply here, clean/inspect all parts before re-assembly, replace worn stuff, etc.

Huskyman or someone, let me know if I missed anything! :p

Except for the fuel line in the cylinder thing, I think that Treeclimber is bang on. If I remember from the last time I changed my clutch, if you take the starter cover off, there is a slot specifically for using a bar to stop the motor spinning. I personally would never put anything other than gasoline or oil in my cylinder!

Alan

Husky's have a slot in the flywheel for that? I can't tell you how many times I have broken cooling fins off the flywheel trying to wedge a screwdriver between the fins. I learned the fuel line trick from an old-timer, but only use it if I don't have access to an air compressor. An impact wrench will spin the nut/sprocket off without doing any of the above.

Thanks for the info. Did not see anything on the starter that looked like it would stop the spinning, but i will look again. I am good at breaking things and would rather be safe than sorry. Need to get a sparkplug wrench to continue but feel confident with what you said. Thanks again
matt

one thing you can do to keep the engine from turning is take a piece of clothes line and tie a few knots in it and stuff that down the spark plug hole. or i have used a red shop rag and accomplished the same.

Back