Stihl 026 crank seals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I go to eBay for parts for older Stihl saws is because my nearest Stihl dealer told me several years ago that he could no longer get parts for the older saws that I own and work on. Those with model numbers beginning with the numeral "0". So eBay saves me time, gas, tire and I don't have to listen to him whine! To my understanding, Stihl will no longer manufacture parts for saws after 10 years for discontinued models nor will a authorized Stihl dealer sell after market parts for these older models. So be it!

I would say, your dealer may be lying to you. I have some 038 parts waiting for me right now at my dealer.

I am not saying one should not Ebay parts. But, if a dealer said that to me...not one red cent.

You might want to call around until you find a dealer who will mail you parts. Likely cheaper than Ebay and supporting an actual saw shop.

Roy

The reason I go to eBay for parts for older Stihl saws is because my nearest Stihl dealer told me several years ago that he could no longer get parts for the older saws that I own and work on. Those with model numbers beginning with the numeral "0". So eBay saves me time, gas, tire and I don't have to listen to him whine! To my understanding, Stihl will no longer manufacture parts for saws after 10 years for discontinued models nor will an authorized Stihl dealer sell after market parts for these older models. So be it!
I’d be finding a new dealer, I have gotten parts for my 036. I just ordered a cylinder kit for my 200t no issues. I know personally I like to check DIYspare parts before I waste the dealers time to see if it’s still available as well as get the part numbers. And according to their page both 9640 003 1600 and 9640 003 1190 are both still available. I have ordered from them even though they’re overseas in a pinch and gotten my parts it just took a hot minute.

We used to have a real good longtime servicing dealer, in a two man saw shop. If you bought in a clean saw with clutch and flywheel off, he'd sell you a gasket set to source the seals and $15 labor.

Those types of dealers seem to be extinct now.
Those type of customers are almost none existent since the 2000s. Clean tools with stuff removed never happens here or I'd do more mail order work.

Locally I'm just not open to the public anymore. Too many clients out there with piles of equipment begging competent diagnostic people to do that and or order them parts. They will want anyone who will acually do the work. Wasting time with tire kickers is over. Wasting money on a storefront or large building is long since over. They push new everything in my area and purposely tell customers they have to wait three weeks or longer for repairs on garden tools. They seem to turn commercial repairs just fine there. Just drive by everyday for week and see. Take in anything homeowner owned and it's three weeks or more to get written estimate. They should be shut down. Last shop in that/my area so they use barbarism as a substitute for repairs. Seen them intimidate customers until they just leave if not interested in new purchases.

The side note is this drives customers to big box stores and they don't come back to shops again.

Those type of customers are almost none existent since the 2000s. Clean tools with stuff removed never happens here or I'd do more mail order work.

Locally I'm just not open to the public anymore. Too many clients out there with piles of equipment begging competent diagnostic people to do that and or order them parts. They will want anyone who will acually do the work. Wasting time with tire kickers is over. Wasting money on a storefront or large building is long since over. They push new everything in my area and purposely tell customers they have to wait three weeks or longer for repairs on garden tools. They seem to turn commercial repairs just fine there. Just drive by everyday for week and see. Take in anything homeowner owned and it's three weeks or more to get written estimate. They should be shut down. Last shop in that/my area so they use barbarism as a substitute for repairs. Seen them intimidate customers until they just leave if not interested in new purchases.

The side note is this drives customers to big box stores and they don't come back to shops again.
The shop I once worked at is now closed. The "drill" the counter people used was like this. As soon as a customer brought in a older model, they were told our technicians won't work on it. It's too old and we can not get parts for it. They also had two computer screens at the counter to aid customers in finding what parts they needed by diagrams for those who wanted to locate part numbers. The owner of the store ended that policy because the customers were writing down their part numbers and going somewhere else or on line to find/buy what they needed that "couldn't be repaired". Like I mentioned, the store closed last year and the shop closed in 2017.
The nearest shop I mentioned in my previous post, a good friend of mine brought in his 015L in it's case. Once in the shop, he started to open the case and before he had it out, he was told, sorry we can't help you. He bought a new MS250! I repaired his old 015L and that was several years ago!

Myself, no matter what I'm working on, I always have my parts numbers in hand!

Must be why I am so busy. Not uncommon to work on 031, 041, 028, etc.
Yes, some parts are NLA, but you have to check. 028 parts are getting scarcer OEM. But 026 parts are still readily available so far.
I give those saws away listed up top. Only have one 031 left. I'm sending the last 041 runner to jellyroll. Nobody will touch them here. Most of the real mechanics have now retired. New guys are clues with points and such. The rest is just regular parts they can't seem to repair. The in a box specials come up every week locally for old tools like those always Stihl products in this area.

There is just next to no one still wrenching on saws that want anything to do with points/condenser fired saws , they just want to chuck a chip in them or convert to electronic modules. I keep all my old saws original with points and condenser ignitions, that was all we had until the 80`s rolled around. Doesn`t put me out one bit to set gap and check condensers, still like to see that bright blue flash.

The reason I go to eBay for parts for older Stihl saws is because my nearest Stihl dealer told me several years ago that he could no longer get parts for the older saws that I own and work on. Those with model numbers beginning with the numeral "0". So eBay saves me time, gas, tire and I don't have to listen to him whine! To my understanding, Stihl will no longer manufacture parts for saws after 10 years for discontinued models nor will a authorized Stihl dealer sell after market parts for these older models. So be it!

I would contact your regional Stihl rep and complain the dealer is incompetent.

There is just next to no one still wrenching on saws that want anything to do with points/condenser fired saws , they just want to chuck a chip in them or convert to electronic modules. I keep all my old saws original with points and condenser ignitions, that was all we had until the 80`s rolled around. Doesn`t put me out one bit to set gap and check condensers, still like to see that bright blue flash.

I went to an autoparts store, kid behind the counter didn't know what points were.

Funny this thread came up. I just sent my 026 to a real good Stihl mechanic. One young buck from another shop said it was a crank case seal. Its a bit off the subject , but what is the cost of a repair at a shop? We will see what is wrong with it and I will get back to you all. This saw has not run good in 15 yrs.

I got my saw back. it was a carb rebuild , a tune and a spark plug. Total cost was $121. I started the saw and started cutting. This saw never ran this good, not even when it was brand new. Many times I posted on this and other sights that the 026 just doesnt have it and is half what my 034 is. Now, it is a darn nice saw. So nice that maybe I will send my ECHO 501P down the road.. Nah, I'll just keep it.. A good mechanic is cheap regardless of the cost of his labor. It is so much more saw than it ever was.. He checked everything over. No crank case leak , compression is good, no scorched piston. The other kid mechanic in town said just what everyone else was saying.. The kid said it was a crank case seal and was not worth fixing and charged me for looking at it. One darn nice saw. Also , the old times behind the counter told me the 026 is worth keeping. The new 261 need a high rev to work good. It does not have much low end torque and likes high rpm's . and runs on fumes. ( tongue in cheek about the fumes) .

Tried that they told me to go to a different one.
If you can find the right dealer seems they can get many more parts than those that don`t care and use the old excuse, that saw is too old, parts are NLA. I have now outlasted 5 local dealers that are no longer around, they were the ones that used the excuse, that saw is too old, all parts are NLA but the one dealer that always found the parts is still here and is now the largest, since the others fell by the wayside. There are still 2 other local dealers that I will try occasionally but when they say that same old excuse I just go directly, much longer drive mind you but they get what I need. They have never charged me shipping yet and don`t charge me $25. for one sparkplug.

It takes maybe 30 seconds to look up a part, another 30 seconds to see if we have it, and another 30 seconds to see if Stihl still has it available. We never charge anybody shipping. Maybe they don't have the volume to place regular stock orders.

I find it hard to believe that a dealer can't make more money repairing Stihl equipment than selling it.

It takes maybe 30 seconds to look up a part, another 30 seconds to see if we have it, and another 30 seconds to see if Stihl still has it available. We never charge anybody shipping. Maybe they don't have the volume to place regular stock orders.

I find it hard to believe that a dealer can't make more money repairing Stihl equipment than selling it.
Fact! However, in S.W. Pa. it's a whole different game being played! Stihl dealers sell NEW saws and besides that, they can NOT find experienced staff with tools or anyone willing to learn because they don't want to get their phones dirty!

Fact! However, in S.W. Pa. it's a whole different game being played! Stihl dealers sell NEW saws and besides that, they can NOT find experienced staff with tools or anyone willing to learn because they don't want to get their phones dirty!

I just work part time when the two grand kids of the owners get behind. About to start I would say.
Anyhow, I do not think there is a tool that Stihl makes for anything that they have not bought.
Grandma' s not going to say anything. She owns the business, the Grandfather owns the real estate. They are wealthy.
As long as the kids and grand kids want to do it, it is there.
Actually they are both really good mechanics. The Gold Certified just runs the counter and often he will just go get a a part and not even need to look up the part number or location.

Young mind. I can't do it anymore.

Pa. is now a BLUE state. Before I retired, one of the many counter persons we went through got pumped up by her boyfriend. Claimed she was having a problem pregnancy and went full blown 100% welfare. Reliable techs/ mechanics with even bare bones tools were not to be found. One couldn't come to work half the time. He had a problem with drugs. I could go on and on but I think all got the picture I am painting. The owner was the only gold Stihl Tech. He passed away. Another tech who had silver rating from Stihl moved on for better wages. The shop manager had a gambling problem and was on the "take". Oh well......the shop closed in 2017 and the hardware end of the business closed last fall.

Get them dirty, they can`t put them down long enough for them to get dirty, if not talking on them it`s texting or the biggest time waster ,playing games. Young people signing up to learn as apprentices spend twice as much time playing on or with their phones as they ever would actually learning the trade. I had a young fellow this past fall that was supposed to be shadowing me, about all that he was shadowing was his phone. The company was not paying him, he was going through a government program and he needed hours to make him eligible for advancement, his Carharts were impeccably clean and his white gloves were come out of the box pristine.

Latest posts

Back