Husky-misleading marketers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VSsteel, Madsens weighs saws with dual oversize dogs and fullwrap handles thus the differance in advertised weight. Husky advertises the 372 as weighing 12.4 lbs and stihl says the 044 weighs in ti 13.4. Assuming that the additional equipment weighs the same ( stihl has much heavier dogs in reality) the 372 is at LEAST 1 lb off on their literature which is no insignificant amount on a saw. They also use a different hp rating for advertising purposes IMO because they know people will be comparing their stuff directly with stihls. The 372 actually has less advertised hp than a 044, but you would never know it by comparing specs. Does this slight differance matter? Probaly not, but it is intentionaly misleading. Ford got slapped buy the FTC for doing the same thing a few years back. Now as far as huskymans comments go. with no real way to compare a saws performance spec sheets are indeed important. While they are not the only thing that influeance a buying decision they are a important factor non the less. Further more I dont think it is too much to ask for a company not to intentially mislead people.

Jokers, I dont know about stihl being just as guilty as husky. as I said earlier the only thing I know for sure is that a 460 weighs = to or less than advertised and that a husky 372 does not. Husky also seems to use alot more smoke and mirror marketing than stihl from what i have seen. Either way the practice is shamefull.

Dolmar- Dolmar and solo could be players as they have the engineering and quality. The problem is their distribution chains sucks and there marketing is non existant. They really need to kick their marketing department in the pants. I would love have either company best stihl and husky in all areas like I think they could.

I got the 13.4 off of the Husky web site, and the 2003 book also says 13.4 (the book with all of the saws, trimmer, mowers, etc in it.) Maybe they changed something. /shrug

Ben,

You're off on the weight of a 372,it is 13.4,at least that's what the spec is in my manual.

Rick

Originally posted by vsteel
I got the 13.4 off of the Husky web site, and the 2003 book also says 13.4 (the book with all of the saws, trimmer, mowers, etc in it.) Maybe they changed something. /shrug
Looks like husky is comeing clean then. Last year at this time they where saying that the 372 was around a 1 lb less than a 044 if my memory serves me correct.

This is kind of not directly applies to the discussion at hand but my old 1998 Husky catalog lists the 371XP as 13.0 lbs. I'm not sure what they changed from one to the other but that's what they claimed then.

Don

Advertising is almost always misleading to some extent everybody finds some little way to stretch the truth or push the envelope just a little further than they did before. Specs are nothing more than just a basis for me to come to the conclusion of whether or not I want to take a look at that saw or not. Everbody here has a particular category of saw that their interested in and so specs just ballpark us on what we need to know. Most homeowners or back yarders dont pay any attention to specs just the bottom dollar. As most women say Bigger is Better!!!!.........Peace out!!!

Ben, your memory is not serving you well, especially for such a young man, LOL. Husky has never claimed that the 372 was a pound less than the 044. I think you are confusing the product description for the 046, only a pound more than the 044 yet 10% more hp.... yada yada yada. This would by extension mean that the 371/372 is a pound less than the 046 because the 044 and 372 are nearly identical in weight. The water is muddied abit now that Stihl has had to put a lightweight plastic flywheel on the 046 to compensate for the slow revving early 046s and to prevent the cranks from shearing at the flywheel side. Now the 372 is suddenly closer to the weight of the 046 if you want to take that perspective rather than a more accurate perspective that the 046 is nearer the weight of the 372. The lighter flywheel is also where Stihl was able to show a 1/4 hp gain in the 046 since hp is the rate that work is done and it`s done quicker with the lighter flywheel. The same engine has gone from 5.7hp to just over 6hp by the listed specs.

The weights as published by Madsen`s have already been fleshed out and as you pointed out, the west coast version has dual oversize dogs and a fullwrap vs the single standard dog and halfwrap on the standard model. It was also determined that the Husky fullwrap weighs more than the Stihl full wrap for reasons unknown to me, but this difference closes the gap a little more. If you keep track of all the details it looks less like anybody is taking any large liberties on this issue. I believe you also mentioned the issue of DIN vs SAE horsepower as another illusion that Husky tries to cast but the fact is the 372 outcuts the 044. Not by much, but it does.

I don`t buy your assertion that the 046 weighs less than the listed spec and the 372 weighs more, which implies that these two saws would be nearly identical in weight. It just isn`t true. I don`t have an 044 right now to compare with the 372 but I do have a 460 and it`s heavier. I know that you have an 044 and 372 so weigh them, don`t go by perception which may be swayed by balance.

I don`t like misleading advertising either and won`t knowingly condone it, but I think you`re on a witch hunt here. If you`ve simply had a mistaken notion based on an incorrect memory, well who hasn`t, but if you really think it goes deeper than that I`ve got to wonder what you`re thinking.

Russ

A big plus in a small town where you have alaways lived, or know a good friend who knows the guy you are dealing with, is a big advantage.

I regularly loan saws for trial, or maybe two or three saws for comparison.

I have never lost one. (saws)

I can now send out 2 or 3 brands and let them compare.

Let the Stihl dealer step up to that.

just a comment. good to see responcible
informative posting by all. got to say ,ive always admired gameness in men and animals[black jack was the gamest fool i ever saw] [ my bull dog] .
so my hats off to u mr. budwalker.
win or lose,u the kind i want at my back,
when things get a little hairy.
one other comment,lets not take ourselves to seriously. causes ulcers and other junk. jmo:)

To me it's a fact of life,companys tend to embellish the truth when selling their products.I have this though in mind whenever I consider buying anything,and most folks do also.

So I understand what you're saying Ben,I just perhaps don't understand your motive for this thread or why you pick Husky for an example.

BTW owners of the new Stihl 270/280 saws need to check Stihl's website for a recall notice.

Rick

Jokers, You may be right on the memory thing. As far as the 460's weight goes I know for a fact that the factory published weight is spot on. Like I said I measured it on a certified scale at my previous employers and it came out slightly under advertised. As for the weight of the 440 and the 372. Both saws are 11 hours away at the moment. When I return from Canada in late august I will measure the 440 and my freinds 372 ( I sold mine a while back). I am getting klind of jittery right now. My 440 is 11 hours away, my 260 is in the hands of Dennis getting built, and one of my employees just fried a jonsered 2045(POS). That leaves me a jonsered behemoth (dont know model #) and a jons top handle thats about 30 years old. BTW got any ideas what to replace the 2045 with. I need a saw thats fairly cheap (under $400) and will last longer than the 2045 under very abusive conditions. Power isnt a issue as max tree size is around 18". Thinking maybe a poulan pro. These saws take such a beating that it doesnt make sense to buy a a pro saw.

Originally posted by bwalker
I need a saw thats fairly cheap (under $400) and will last longer than the 2045 under very abusive conditions. Power isnt a issue as max tree size is around 18". Thinking maybe a poulan pro. These saws take such a beating that it doesnt make sense to buy a a pro saw.

Why not try one of Bailey's B51 chainsaws for $300?

The 3CID Solo from Bailey's might indeed be good. I really like the Poulan Pro 330-under$300 new. The reconditioned Poulan Pro 295 is going for $115 on Ebay. Tony Marks seems to like his. What are you doing that is so hard on saws? If it is commercial thinning I'd go with the PP330.

Try a German DOLMAR (Sachs Dolmar) D111n, or the new PS540.

Seen them on sale for less then $300. They're discounting some Pro models to get the name back in front of the younger cutters.

Latest posts

Back