Husky NE346 XP with 3/8 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chugbug

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
I'm thinking of going to 3/8 chain for my 346 because all my other saws use the 3/8 and setting up my sharpener would be easier with the same stone . There were quite a few of you that were going to try it and see how the 3/8 would work on the 346 and alot of you didn't think it was a good idea , well was wondering how the ones that tried it made out ??

Seems like it would be ok , my old homelite super ez auto.even came from the dealer with 3/8 chain and it worked fine with it and that saw wasn't close to the 346 in terms of cyl. size and rpm's .

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Makes sense to me.

Saw should have no problem with it.

Mine will be set up with 16 inch 3/8, .058 as soon as the crappy Husky .325 chain that came with it is done. Probably about another tank and it's toast. If the weather stinks on Friday like they're predicting I may just say screw it and change it out then.

Local Stihl dealer gives volume discounts on multiple chain purchases regardless of drive link number, as long as they are all the same style, gauge and pitch chain so it just makes sense to get as much running on the same stuff as possible.

Take Care

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Makes sense to me.

Saw should have no problem with it.

Mine will be set up with 16 inch 3/8, .058 as soon as the crappy Husky .325 chain that came with it is done. Probably about another tank and it's toast. If the weather stinks on Friday like they're predicting I may just say screw it and change it out then.

Local Stihl dealer gives volume discounts on multiple chain purchases regardless of drive link number, as long as they are all the same style, gauge and pitch chain so it just makes sense to get as much running on the same stuff as possible.

Take Care

The original chain more likely than not is a 95VP/H30 narrow kerf one - not a good choise on that saw.

Oregon LP or Stihl RSC is better "medicine" in .325.

It sure won't have a problem with 3/8", but I suspect .325 will cut faster (haven't tried 3/8" yet).

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
The original chain more likely than not is a 95VP/H30 narrow kerf one - not a good choise on that saw.

Oregon LP or Stihl RSC is better "medicine" in .325.

It sure won't have a problem with 3/8", but I suspect .325 will cut faster (haven't tried 3/8" yet).

Well go ahead and try it im sure you will be disappointed like I was LOL ahh wait you will need a special tool to remove the clutch to swap sprockets :bang:

Scott

NYHuskyguy

NYHuskyguy

ArboristSite Member
It was to my understanding that the 346 couldn't run a 3/8 and that with the thicker sprocket, the oiler would not work right. Not to mention that the crankshaft was not designed to handle the load of the 3/8 chain/sprocket.

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
A blunt wood chisel and a hammer its all it takes to get the clutch off.......

I dont own a BLUNT WOOD CHISEL

My point is that with todays newer saw designs it seems like the engineers at huskareds would have made the clutch internal for easier sprocket maintenance like the German's have done.....

but wait the ne346/2153 is not a new saw design just a rehash of a old design thats why my saw has a defect in the crankcase from the worn out tooling at the huskareds plant

Scott

charkan

charkan

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm running 72lgx on a 16" bar on mine no problem.Can't tell if its faster or slower than stock because I changed sprocket and the muffler before it even hit the wood.Have a friend with an old 346 who is running lgx on a 15" bar mainly because everything else we run uses lgx.He isn't complaining in fact He thinks it cuts faster than the crap chain that came on it.Personally my 346with setup I have now makes me grin as much as when I run my 7900.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I dont own a BLUNT WOOD CHISEL

My point is that with todays newer saw designs it seems like the engineers at huskareds would have made the clutch internal for easier sprocket maintenance like the German's have done.....

but wait the ne346/2153 is not a new saw design just a rehash of a old design thats why my saw has a defect in the crankcase from the worn out tooling at the huskareds plant

Scott

I blunted it at taking the clutch off my 353.....:laugh: :laugh:

The outboard clutch (= slimmer saw body and bar closer to mass center) is at least part of the reason the NE346xp handles a lot better than the 5100S in the woods, for limbing, tops, smaller trees (thinning) etc.

Another reason is the much better throttle response/accelleration.

Last edited:
excess650

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought my 346xp with 18" 3/8 .050 already installed. The more I run the saw, the more impressed I am. I've had it buried in oak, and it just keeps makin' sawdust! I have a lightly used 026 16" .325 and a Husky 353 with 18" .325, and the 346 leaves 'em for dead!:chainsaw:

Latest posts