Husky Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Job Corps Tree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was given a new Husky 42 for Xmas. My Tach tells me it is turning about 14230 RPMs. The new Carb Screws are the round drum? with the ribs on the outside of it. I just need to slow it down a bit. Best way to richen it up just a little?

I do not know what they are doing with the newer saws but with the older ones .... you would turn the "H" adjustment screw a tad counter-clockwise( very small increments at a time...(maybe 5 degrees) and that would richen the mix into the cylinder...causing the RPM's to go down.....if you go clockwise you are leaning it out and it will have higher RPM's but if you go too far ...you will damage your piston..it will get hot and begin to melt on the outlet(exhaust) side..then you are a goner..

This don't have screws, Limiter or otherwise, it has 2 round plugs with ribs all the way around them. I am trying not to have buy their special tool just to slow the engine down a little bit

This don't have screws, Limiter or otherwise, it has 2 round plugs with ribs all the way around them. I am trying not to have buy their special tool just to slow the engine down a little bit

If your carb has no high speed adjustment screw you have a fixed jet carb. Meaning you can't adjust the high speed period. Thank MR EPA for that. New saws are running faster and leaner than ever before to meet EPA requirments. Best thing you can do is keep that chain sharp and only use that saw wild open throttle in the cut, not in your hand.

I was given a new Husky 42 for Xmas. My Tach tells me it is turning about 14230 RPMs. The new Carb Screws are the round drum? with the ribs on the outside of it. I just need to slow it down a bit. Best way to richen it up just a little?

:jawdrop: New Husky 42? - those were dicontinued quite a few years ago.......:jawdrop:

It may have been a 142?40cc and I'll try to Cut the Slot in the Cap! Thanks
You could cut a slot in the screw or just use a small piece of brass tubing that fits snugly over it. Better yet just go to a Husky or Poulan Dealer and get the tool it's like 6.00$ I posted a part # on here a wile back but can't find the thread:confused: It uses the same one as my Poulans do. A little hollow splines driver I wish all my saws had them,beats searching for the small slot and easy to use with the saw running, Never slips off.I will keep searching for that part #

One of the wire connectors (blue?) might work. I used one to adjust my 141 after a muffler mod. You may have to remove the top cover and the piece that attaches to the carb around the H-L screws. A new non-catalytic muffler is always an option.

Husky ?

Thanks I guess I'll have to get that tool. I just know this 14230RPMs is far to much. It won't take much to get back to 13000RPMs. This Saw is new and I want to have it for a bit. The Wife ans I have been marred for 33 years next Month and this is the FIRST time She ever bought me any Chain Saw. I have to Keep them both

I have modded some of the adjustment screw before. Just pull them, lop the head off flat, then cut a flat slot in with a dremel. I even had the tool, but the POS was made for cr@p and broke in my tool box.

Back