husky vs stihl -air filtering process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where not talking about your Weeble wobbles play set. Where a cord is 4 inches by 4 inches by 8 inches.:cheers:

I know, I got the 372 for that small woblbe set, I can't keep oil in it long enuff to cut any real wood with it,hehe

There a big difference between a dirty filter and a blocked filter. In my experience serving neglect crap, if the oily fine black crap packed into the filter that affects flow. Saw dust from a sharp chain rarely materially impedes the flow.

Well, at least with the 361 that is true - the large filter surface surely helps! :)

filtering

Well, I can cut all day long and my 385 won't even have as much as a dusting on the filter. And After cutting with my 440 and 460 all day I have to take the filter off at lunch and brush it off, and at lunch it will be packed with sawdust and some chips.:)

The air injection works very very well. The new stihl saws 361 441 are better than the older ones but they all get dirty eventually. I don't think any filter stays clean forever. It is nice to have it stay clean longer and is better for the engine. I know the saw will run bad when the filter is plugged. I have not run every model of husky but I have run almost every model of stihl and they require cleaning more often than the husky saws I have run. This only makes a difference with lazy people in my opinion regular maintenance will prevent engine damage and keep your saw running strong.

Last edited:
The air injection works very very well. The new stihl saws 361 441 are better than the older ones but they all get dirty eventually. I don't think any filter stays clean forever. It is nice to have it stay clean longer and is better for the engine. I know the saw will run bad when the filter is plugged. I have not run every model of husky but I have run almost every model of stihl and they require cleaning more often than the husky saws I have run. This only makes a difference with lazy people in my opinion regular maintenance will prevent engine damage and keep your saw running strong.

Of the AI saws I have used, the 372 (low top) seem to have the most benefit from it - but it works well on them all....:)

high top

Of the AI saws I have used, the 372 (low top) seem to have the most benefit from it - but it works well on them all....:)

Of all the husky saws I've ran the high tops work the best. Besides the high tops look better. WTF would being high or low top have to do with air filter getting dirty faster or not anyway, other than them looking better to the user.:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Of all the husky saws I've ran the high tops work the best. Besides the high tops look better. WTF would being high or low top have to do with air filter getting dirty faster or not anyway, other than them looking better to the user.:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Really no need for the high tops, unless your conditions are extremely dirty, or dry - doesn't happen here.......:buttkick: :buttkick:

Last edited:
Really no need for the high tops, unless your conditions are extremely dirty, or dry - doesn't happen here.......:buttkick: :buttkick:

I think my high top 395 looks better than the low top saws. Guess it's whatever one is used to. In fact I like the look of the high top on the 395 better than the 'flat' top on the 3120. (I don't know if there is a higher top 3120.)

The air injection on my 395 is a miracle compared to my 066. Not enough tanks through the 880 to be sure,but so far I would say it's about the same as the 066 in regard to the air filter geting dirty. Impressions of the 3120 is that it's a little better than the 880 in terms of staying clean, but not by much.

My 7900s with the new cap do pretty well filter wise, although I am hoping Dolmar comes up with their own flavor of air injection (air master?). I am dreaming of a 8 hp dolmar 9900 weighing around 18lbs with some sort of air injection. Yahoo.

Last edited:
Now Tom ....You cant post a video like that...............:buttkick: The Husky pup's aint going to like it....

Well in the hand they are all smoother at higher rpms. The Stihl is the smoothest in the cut and in the hand. Looking at them sitting there idling you can see why I say that and its 100% true. Ask Hoss how smooth they are, he ran em all. Doesn't make any differance to me but the BS about vibrating Stihl's just gets old as does the filtration hogwash too. Fact be known a partially clogged filter does a better job than a super clean one, ask the contractors who run concrete saws, they will set the facts striaght..

Last edited:
high tops

I think it doesn't matter on the filtration on wheather it is a high top or low top, as far as staying clean longer. And like B Turner said, the high tops just look better. And you can run some of the HD filters with the high top cover on, can't do that with the low tops.:greenchainsaw: :) :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back