Husq Cylinders - 346xp NE vs. OE vs. 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemXP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I am trying to rebuild an OE 346xp, but lately I have been running 2 NE 346xps and would love to put that 50cc on the OE bottom end (which has no primer bulb and I prefer the feel of)

So, I can't seem to find a 346xpNE jug, but I was told a 353 cylinder and piston kit is the exact same, or at least the one I need...is that so, and if so, what makes the XP an XP? Bigger carb?

Is it worth the extra $20 for the 353, and will it work with the OE?

Thanks for the help

Were you in the room when I wrote that? My god that was a fast response.

So it is the P & C that make it higher RPMs, then? Maybe I'll go with the OE 346xp kit, if that's all I can find.

Were you in the room when I wrote that? My god that was a fast response.

So it is the P & C that make it higher RPMs, then? Maybe I'll go with the OE 346xp kit, if that's all I can find.

I would guess that the only way your going to find a NE 346 P&C is to buy new OEM. I personally have no problems with the OE topend at all. It was still faster than all other 50cc saws we tested, second only to the NE 346. It was 100% bone stock too, with a new Meteor piston.

Not sure if there is a weight difference. My cutting partner has a ne 346 and I have the oe. Thats why I upgraded to the 50cc topend and had the saw woods ported, I need to cut fasted than my partner.

Maybe this isnt it, but the NE has a primer bulb...that's about the only thing I can think of. Oh, and that shiny plastichrome cover is made out of dark matter. :monkey:

So the OE is lighter than the others? If so what got heavier? OE is all I have run, fondled a NE in the showroom but had no need to take one home.

I guess the added weight of the NE (same weight as the 353) mostly comes from the cylinders and pistons (but they are very different) - and a tad from the decomp valve.

Putting a 353 jug on a 346xp is castration! :censored:

I don't think the primer bulb etc weights much........

Last edited:
What would be the downside to putting a 346NE cyl on a newer saw that has the blue ignition? Would that need to be replaced with a non-limited one? This would prob. have more to do with tuning the saw. Any ideas?

The NE346xp comes with a blue coil that is supposed to be limited at 14200rpm (max recommended is 14100), but the stock ones usually runs best a tad below 14000, and then it is a non-issue. :)

Is this the same coil that would come on a 350/359/372 of late manufacture? Or is it unique to the 346?

Is this the same coil that would come on a 350/359/372 of late manufacture? Or is it unique to the 346?

I think it is unique, it would make no sense sharing it with any of those lower rpm saws, or any other saw, except the 2153......:)

Last edited:
Will have to look at the IPL's. Sawtroll, I would have expected ya to know for sure off the top of your head. I am thinking of putting a 346NE topend on a 350 or two to see if is worth the effort. And to see if the bottom end will stay together with the plastic case.

I think it is unique, it would make no sense sharing it with any of those lower rpm saws, or any other saw, except the 2153......:)
Why would they do that? Simple, because it's easy to use a single part in manufacturing. Not that they did that, but that is a compelling reason and why we see so many shared parts between products, IMO.

Why would they do that? Simple, because it's easy to use a single part in manufacturing. Not that they did that, but that is a compelling reason and why we see so many shared parts between products, IMO.

They could, but we already know that the 372xp limiter kicks in at 600 rpm less than the 346xp one.

If a 359 have one (never heard of one having it before) it most likely is the same as the 372xp one (13600rpm), but if a 350 has a rev limiter (never heard of that either), it would have to be another 500rpm lower to make any sense....

:greenchainsaw:

My 2006 Husqvarna 359 that Brad ported did not need a new coil,it came with a unlimited one from the factory.Brad had to replace the coil on my 2009 NE346XP that he ported a week ago.Did not ask him what the coil came off of though.

Latest posts

Back