husqvarna 181

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just got an old husqvarna 181 from a guy complete with scored piston and cylinder for 30 bucks and plan on fixin it up. can anyone tell me the best piston and cylinder to buy for this for the most performance . i have heard the 288 will work but just wandering what would be best and anything else i should upgrade while im at it. thanks

Test

As far as I know a 288 as well as 281 top end will work. As to quality an OEM would be the best and the most $$.
You might want to try "Chainswr.com a site sponsor for good used items or the evil bay.
One other thing that I would consider a "must do" before investing money is a vacuum and pressure test. This will tell You if seals ,or crankcase gasket is bad. No need in spending time and money to have to do it again in a short time. Good luck with it
You can do a search for vacuum test and find lots of use full info

thanks guys for the info i will pressure test it and will probably go with the baileys kit

I have a spare cylinder from a parts saw that I bought. I just wanted the carb, flywheel and coil. The piston was cracked but the jug looked fine at at glance. No charge if you are interested in it, PM me.....Cliff

Back