• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Husqvarna 254XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's your chance to own an Orange-sickle legend, the older brother of the 357 and a sibling of the 262. This is the first 254 if had my hands on and I tell you, I'm very impressed with the saw. It is quick revving like a 346, easily stronger than a similar 346 (or 359, 026, 260, 5100, 550), and will thump a 55 to which it is similar in size and displacement. I was cutting a 12" dried oak log and I could do some serious pulling up while top-barring without stalling. Bury the bar and you can stall it, but keep the chain cutting and this saw will throw chips.

I went through this saw and did the following-

new OEM piston and rings
new OEM seals
new OEM fuel line and filter
muffler mod and painted the muffler with several coats of POR15
set the squish at .018"

I don't have a compression reading, but it is healthy. I will get one when the saw cools off.

The saw will come with a GB 18" .325" bar and a loop of Oregon .058 " BPX with about 1/2 the life left. The rails have been trued and the chain is fresh ground.

It is complete, nothing is cracked or missing, and it is ready to fuel and put to work. The price is $325 plus the ride to your house.

6ca53fc7b543c73825fa5c2a9d063cf7.jpg
1c7f15a616e5e397bcb0f15544a712ca.jpg

146c10a35ceddac147003a650637c384.jpg

80ad1fbaa4f18c90d6b6e04ca38c7e1e.jpg

7b121f006e42ab88ae4965f00c06a607.jpg

ed3564aa8891fc12dba23443789a2a7a.jpg

cd2e34ec2cc3fce260b30808aa2d6b79.jpg

Por 15 pretty good on mufflers neal?may have to try some.not had too good of luck out of vht on the last can.

A builder and a saw, neither needing an introduction. Neal also markets saws with the best of em'

Here's an excerpt from the ad for the Nmurph 288 I bought:

"This saw is 87cc's of log bucking, chip throwing, stumping power. If you've never had the chance to run a 288, you owe it to yourself to do so. It will make many modern saws run for truck bed.

This saw is half wrap, non-Lite version with the spring AV. It gives away very little in terms of smoothness to the newest saws.

I have been through this saw from the inside out. I split it, installed new crank bearings, gasket set, seals, and a new Meteor piston. The cylinder is perfect. It was not a clean up; no scoring or transfer. It is a non-decomp OEM cylinder. I deleted the base gasket and modded the muffler...wimps need not apply."

Any questions?

A builder and a saw, neither needing an introduction. Neal also markets saws with the best of em'

"This saw is 87cc's of log bucking, chip throwing, stumping power. If you've never had the chance to run a 288, you owe it to yourself to do so. It will make many modern saws run for truck bed.

This saw is half wrap, non-Lite version with the spring AV. It gives away very little in terms of smoothness to the newest saws.

I have been through this saw from the inside out. I split it, installed new crank bearings, gasket set, seals, and a new Meteor piston. The cylinder is perfect. It was not a clean up; no scoring or transfer. It is a non-decomp OEM cylinder. I deleted the base gasket and modded the muffler...wimps need not apply."

Any questions?

I think that was the pinnacle of my hyperbolic marketing.

Really, there are just certain saws that impress me when I'm finished with them. That 288 was the best 288 I had ever built. As I've seen Randy state, a 288's timing numbers are just about perfect from the factory. Bump the compression, and you have a great running saw. This 254 really lit me up in the same way.

I liked my finger ported 254xp more than I liked the 2153 that won Randy's 50cc shootout 2wice against 550xp, standard carb 261, then 261cm. A ported 254xp is really something.

Por 15 pretty good on mufflers neal?may have to try some.not had too good of luck out of vht on the last can.

Yes, it is impervious to heat and gasoline. The down side is that it requires a bit of work in that you need to clean the muffler, then paint it, let it dry overnight (or heat it), and then coat it again. But once painted, the coating last! The particular Por15 paint I use is called Black Velvet, and the finish is a satiny look. The paint is $51/qt (it as about $32/qt when I bought this a couple of years ago), but you can do quite a few mufflers with a qt. (it beats BBQ/woodstove paint).

Here's the link-
the Black Velvet product has a new name now

http://www.por15.com/HIGH-TEMP_p_104.html

May try that out.for the cost its probably cheaper in the long run.vht is $11 a can at O O O O'reilly Auto Parts! :envy:

Any questions?
Makes you want to buy it all over again, doesn't it. When he's in the right mood, he can put up an ad that lives forever. And he builds a good saw too.

Due to the need to maintain domestic tranquility with the purchasing party's Chief of Domestic Engineering, this saw is back on the market!

It is boxed and ready to go, I just need a PP deposit and it's yours.

Due to the need to maintain domestic tranquility with the purchasing party's Chief of Domestic Engineering, this saw is back on the market!

It is boxed and ready to go, I just need a PP deposit and it's yours.

I could help keep the peace but you won't like the offer I just picked up one.it runs but is a project. sorry.

Latest posts

Back