Husqvarna 266 will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayZor

Reaction score
I have obtained a husqvarna 266 XP that will not start. the covers say 266 XP in a couple places, but the metal tag with the s/n on it just says 266 with nothing after it. The saw has spark, compression and gets gas into the cylinder, but will not start, not even a pop.

what could be wrong?

thanks.

When You st it has "compression" was it tested witha Gauge? shpuld be atleast 110-120 Min. If the key-way on crankshaft has broken and timing is off it will not --timing is off Should have a nice blue spark.
I don't belive the 268 had compression relief's ,but if it does have one it could be stuck open.
Just a couple of thing to look at and also too much fuel -check for a wet spark plug. Hope this helps

Did you engage the throttle lock? Do a compression test,this will save alot of guesswork. Try a new plug. If your flywheel key is Ok and compression tests ok and new plug does not help,you are flooded. Remove plug and invert saw. Pull it over and if fuel comes out you are flooded. Dry it out by leaving plug out and putting piston at BDC. This will allow air to enter lower case to evaporate the gas. Retry with throttle wide open until you hear some life. It should start shortly after. You will like the 266,great saw.

Do a compression check! And then do a compression check!!!!!!!!! Feels like it has compression is oft times a liar for enough to run.
Shep

Thanks for the replies, I will pick up a compression tester. What is the best way to get an acurate reading? just turn the flywheel by hand a couple turns or use the recoil string? when does compression become a factor in no attempt to start, how far below 110 would it need to be?
From what I could tell it appears the key in the flywheel is lined up and not sheared off. it does produce a blue spark, is it possible its a weak sparK? I was going to pick up an E3.12 plug, it says it replaces the champion RCJ7Y plug. it currently has a Bosch R10 plug in it.

Another test I did was to disconnect the fuel line from the carb and spray a little starting fluid into the carb while turning it over, still not even a pop.

Ray.

Ideal compression should be around 150 under 110 is signs of a problem and yes use the rope and crank it over several times until the guage stops moving

Back