Husqvarna 288XP Lite Coil Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Good evening to everyone!!!
I have a 288 XP that I have the chance to buy, but it has no spark. Does this saw have a duel coil set up?? I see there is something by the flywheel, and there is also a little blue box by the carburetor, the spark plug wire comes from this little blue box. So what do you think, is the blue box bad, or the black box down by the flywheel? Also approximately what is this saw worth in the condition its in, its pretty dirty (nothing a little elbow grease won't fix) the piston and cylinder are slighty scratched and scored, the chain brake handle is broke. And the no spark problem. It does have a decompression valve. So any thoughts gentlemen??? Thanks
Ryan

I can look up what Husky called them but I always called them the primary coil and the secondary. It is usually the primary coil that goes bad on that series. I have both coils but I recomend removing the cylinder and checking your rod big end bearing as this is a high wear area for that saw.

Check the wires that run from the coil by the flywheel up to the kill switch and the other coil. If these wires are cracked or worn through it will cause no spark.

Trout is right.......check particularly that the wires did not get pinched and flattened under one of the recoil screws at some point. If the wires are not routed correctly under the recoil they can get pinched and break inside the insulation. Start by removing the kill wire from the primary coil and then see if you have spark. Then you can run seperate jumpers between the coil to see if they are a problem. The ignitions on those saws were quite rugged and I have only seen a few bad coils and all of them were the primary. There are still lots of those saws in use up here the guys hate the 385s and go back to their 288s

Hi Pest, Thanks for all the help thuse far, What do you mean by removing the kill wire from the primary coil, the wire at the kill switch, or remove the wire off the black box and hook a jumper wire up to that and run it straight to the secondary coil??? Also how will I spin the saw over to see if it has spark with the recoil removed? Thanks and sorry about all the questions, I'm new to this.

Remove the kill wire at the coil.....I am at a loss picturing the wiring on them right now as I am stuck in Jonsered ignition brain lock. I will look at one today when I get to the shop and be able to give a more accurate description.

If I remember right the kill switch wire is a single wire that runs from the primary coil to the kill switch...it should be on a spade terminal that you can remove from the coil. You need to install the recoil each time to check but you do not have to install all the screws for testing as with the plug out it does not offer much resistance to turning over.

If you still have no spark with the kill wire removed you can run a jumper wire between the two coils temporarily and check again.

I do have a Jred 920 here that I am pretty sure is the same configuration. And I just looked and it does indeed have the wire between the two coils pinched under the recoil screw.

I forgot to ask, what is the blue box called, and what is the black box called??? Thanks

the one with plug wire is ignition coil the other ignition/trigger module and the colors should match. both blue or both black. if you can get a good used set that will take the guess work out of it.

Old husky

I haven't figured out how to use this web site yet, so I just ask a question or two. First, I have an older husky crank case (only) without the model tag on it and I can't figure out what it is. The only numbers I can find are on the fly wheel. Sweden 5018022-1. I'm thinking it is a 272, 288. Can anyone help?

i have a 281/288 ipl from 1991 and it lists that part no you mentioned

i checked a couple of 272 ipl one from 1997 and it had a different part no...

so it looks like it could be a 281/288

funny you should bring up this thread as i bought wood cutters 288 he talks about here.... and another one from him

they are both being rebuilt from the case up

i haven't got to the electrics yet, but knew there would be some stuff to sort out, i will have to get new red and blue connecting wires made.

the only thing that worries me is both the main coil to plug leads have had there insulation cut down to bear wire..... not sure what to do yet

cheers, serg

Hey thanks, I have a few cases I'm getting ready to sell on ebay: 395, 372's, 288 etc. I just don't want to wait around looking for all the rest of the parts I need.

Latest posts

Back