Husqvarna 288XP - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's nice, I can't wait till mine arrives, have you already ported that thing? I'm anxious to see how it does ported, I hear all kinds of good things about them.

I remember the first time I used this saw. It was in 2000 during an internship at the logger's school in Saverne.
We had to fall very big beechs (6 ft the biggest i fall that week). When we could choose our saws (it was school saws), everyone jumped on the all new 066's. When I chose my saw there was only one old 288.

Everyone had a good laugh, until we go to work. I do not know if other guys do not know sharpening, but this saw was by far the most impressive. A beast. Since I want one for me.

That is a great looking saw Brad!! I watched the video twice just to hear the saw idle, sounds soo good. Can't wait to see what happens with it. Good luck

That saw very nice, glad you are happy with it!!
You probably might have noticed already but if you want to do a small muffler mod but yet leave the muffler "factory" here is what I have done in the past with noticeable gains...
Pull the deflector, push the flap in that is partially covering the outlet, turn the deflector 180* so it flow straight out and install a less restrictive spark screen.
That way if you want to put it back to 100% stock you can.
I did remove the deflector and push the baffle down. I considered a more open screen and reversing the deflector, but decided to just put it back stock for now. I had to grind the heads off both screws. One hole had to be drilled and tapped, the other came right out.

I finally got around to prettying this saw up a little more like I've been wanting too. The plastics were in very nice condition, just not as orange as the rest of the saw. I replaced the cylinder/filter cover and recoil housing. I replaced the recoil model decal and Husky decal on the clutch cover. I installed a new safety decal on the top and transferred the original engine spec and model decal from the original cover. I also installed a new 1/2 wrap handle. Boy is she purdy!

IMG_2302-L.jpg

IMG_2305-L.jpg

IMG_2304-L.jpg

Unfortunately, the new decal isn't as long.
IMG_2306-L.jpg

The model decal is no longer available new.
IMG_2307-L.jpg

Amazing 288. I put a high top on mine. It doesn't look as good, but that stock low top filter is just sooooooo itty-bitty

Your saw look awesome, my 288 i rebuild seems ugly, now! You just miss the big "XP" decal in the rear of the top cover, i find my decals from chainsawr.

The thing I like about the 288's is that they still handle and feel like a current saw. Their performance even stock is also very very impressive.
Not sure if anybody has tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if they outperformed a 390XP in stock configuration.
I bought one as a beater and loaner saw for $200 odd and found that it's far too good for that.

Back