Husqvarna 346 xp new edetion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayrack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a new 346 xp last week. It is the new edition with the cat muffler and green gas cap. It is the 50 cc saw. There is much talk about the muffler being too choked up. I have run 5 tanks of gas through it and I am very impressed so far.

I would like to swap the muffler if it would increase the performance. It's hard to believe it could perform better than it is. There are several mufflers on ebay. How do I know that I am getting an older non cat muffler? would I be better to go to a dealer? Does anyone know the husky part# that would be the older muffler to fit my saw and let it breath more? I know the muffler on my saw has cat stamped on the front top of the muffler. That green cap, Al Gore edition, is ugly!

Hayrack,

There's a whole 'nother saw in there when a non Cat 346 is Muff Modded, and the change has GOTTA be even more dramatic on a CAT model.

Go up top of the page to the sponsors banners and Click on Bailys.
They have 'em at a decent price.

The run a search on some of the 346 Muff Mods.

Great saw BTW, and Congrats!!!

New Saw Rep to you!!! LOL!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You should certainly switch to a non-cat muffler. Kinda sucks because it's more $$$ you have to spend while you're throwing out something that husqvarna had to pay more $$$ to put in.

Whether you choose to muffler mod the non-cat muffler is up to you. I think that some people attempted to mod the cat muffler directly but found this to be difficult and ended up just buying the standard muffler anyway.

Etech to standard is supposed to deliver slight performance increase and certainly protects the P&C from excess heat, as well as the plastic above the muffler. Muffler mod increases performance there on out.

You can obviously change the cap too, if the green bothers you. To me, green and orange don't go too well :cheers:

If your impressed as-is be prepared to wet your pants when you rid it of the cat and replace it with an opened up non-cat. Luckily usable muffs come on lots of saw models including some of the home owner stuff. You also need to clip the stop from the HS needle and give it some fuel when you do the muff mod. The limiting coil makes for a bit harder tuning but hurts the saw none in the cut as (ours anyway) likes to run well under the coil limit in the cut. All of this stuff is well covered here in prior posts by people much smarter than me. We just went back to the dealership and he pulled a used muff from a scattered 350 or the like. We drilled 4 3/8 holes in the baffel plate and 2 in front for escape routes.

There's a HUGE difference between a cat mufflered 346 and one with a muffler mod. I find the cat saw to be quite disappointing and anemic. ALL signs of that are gone with a modded muffler. It almost feels like a ported saw.

when you remove the limiter cap on the high jet do you have any issue with it moving from vibration?

Ours did not have a "cap" as per the first generation of limiting devises. There is, or was an external stop on both HS and LS that can easily be clipped with a small pair of dykes that has nothing to do with rotation control.

I just got the same saw in December. I'm going to run mine for a while before opening it up. I've probably run a gallon of gas through it so far.

and it wont vibe out of wack is there a spring or not holding it ?

Not sure how to make it any more clear? The rotation limit stops on these saws is totaly external and has exactly nothing to due with keeping the screws from turning due to vibration. If I was near the saw id take a pic/

Back