Husqvarna 346xp...how does it hold up to the 550xp mark Ii ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK_Dreamer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have saws showing up at the house left and right it seems. I wanted a 50cc saw to pair with my 372xp so snagged a 346xp and 550xp. What do you guys think about the 550xp and 346xp? I worry the 550 isn't as durable and won't be as long lasting as the 346. 550 I am guessing will be smoother and a little faster perhaps. However, the 346 has MM and base gasket deleted so it might be able to close the gap.

I can only keep one. Anyone run both of them side by side?

Muffler mod the 550 so it doesnt get as hot and they last pretty good.
The 550 feels nicer and easier to handle while running it, that's a pretty good reason to keep the 550.

I like 346's they have really good power for their weight/size and last forever but the newest 50cc saws are nicer to run.

I had original 545 550 and OE and NE 346's.

The 550 would out cut NE 346. The 545 and NE 346 was toss up. Talking stock to stock unmolested with 3/8. Ported 346 for the win.

I loved the balance and handling of the 550 545 better. 550 545 felt so much smoother etc in cuts with what seemed like better AV.

550 545 autotune, bearings and their issues over time has proven not as reliable.

Hold onto that old school stuff. :cheers:

MKII are a tad heavier then original ones.

3cis.png

The 550 feels nicer and easier to handle while running it, that's a pretty good reason to keep the 550.

I like 346's they have really good power for their weight/size and last forever but the newest 50cc saws are nicer to run.
I'm not sure how you figure it feels nicer and handles better. The 346 is physically a smaller saw than the 550.
The durability of the 550 has been terrible as well.
IMO the 550 is not a match for the 346 no matter how you look at it.

I played around with chain alot on my ported and stock 346's. .325 stihl RS was always faster than 3/8" IME. This is in Northern midwest hardwoods with a 16" bar.

Boy you guys are really good. I had a chance to use them side by side. The 346 ne has the base gasket deleted and MM. 550 was sparkly new. Thoughts below:

1. 346 feels and is a lot smaller in size. With the 346 it makes the 550 feel too big especially for a limbing saw. To me this was significant.
2. The 550 does run hot. Had the stock muffler on.
3. The 346 oiler does bleed like a stuck pig. The trail I left was comical. At least I know it's working.
4. I preferred the chain tensioner in the 346 vs the 550 where it is on the cover.
5. The 550 is really smooth in the cut.
6. The 550 idle is really tame.
7. Someone else said it someplace but the 346 is just more raw then the 550.

I am simply amazed with my 346xp. It has so much power for a small saw. It will pair perfectly with the ported 372 that I bought here not long ago.

3. The 346 oiler does bleed like a stuck pig. The trail I left was comical. At least I know it's working.
Check that the oil line itself isn’t leaking. It’ll bleed out what was at the pump and beyond no matter what. Once that’s cleared, if it’s still wetting the bed you have a real leak.

I have a 545 that I bought new in 2014. I don’t know how many hours I’ve put on it, but it’s my most used saw. I put an 18” on it when it wore out the 20” it came with, and that really woke it up. The only issue I’ve had is it seems hungry for spark plugs. Other than that, it’s been flawless. For several years, it was the only running saw I had, and I used it for everything from fire mitigation jobs to firewood, to felling Doug firs that a 50 had no business on. Now I have a 572 and a couple 372s for bigger wood, but that light little 545 is still the first saw I grab for most any job I do.

One thing I figured out with these Autotune saws is they like to be choked (yes, I know what that sounds like). If a warm one won’t start on the first pull, set the choke and treat it like it’s cold.

I have a 545 that I bought new in 2014. I don’t know how many hours I’ve put on it, but it’s my most used saw. I put an 18” on it when it wore out the 20” it came with, and that really woke it up. The only issue I’ve had is it seems hungry for spark plugs. Other than that, it’s been flawless. For several years, it was the only running saw I had, and I used it for everything from fire mitigation jobs to firewood, to felling Doug firs that a 50 had no business on. Now I have a 572 and a couple 372s for bigger wood, but that light little 545 is still the first saw I grab for most any job I do.

One thing I figured out with these Autotune saws is they like to be choked (yes, I know what that sounds like). If a warm one won’t start on the first pull, set the choke and treat it like it’s cold.
I was with you until the last paragraph.

Hi guys. I have saws showing up at the house left and right it seems. I wanted a 50cc saw to pair with my 372xp so snagged a 346xp and 550xp. What do you guys think about the 550xp and 346xp? I worry the 550 isn't as durable and won't be as long lasting as the 346. 550 I am guessing will be smoother and a little faster perhaps. However, the 346 has MM and base gasket deleted so it might be able to close the gap.

I can only keep one. Anyone run both of them side by side?
I've never ran a 550XP. I have a NE346XP w/non-cat muffler. It's my favorite saw, I use it the most.

Run them both and keep the one you like the best.

Good luck, NYH1.

Back