Husqvarna 350 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuhndog

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok guy's need help. Read the threads but not around Huskys much. Have a 350 taken down 4,5 years ago no muffler. It's a 45L cylinder that I'd put a 353 piston in but cylinder is shot. So would the 544142907 cylinder kit be a good fix I'd probably check squish and set at .021? Would this kit at least return saw as it was or better and which muffler could I pick up? Thanks David

Hi David....I really love the 350 platform....I did over 9 of them in the last year. I only had to replace one cylinder on all those and used a cheap aftermarket with great results for a 353. That said, there are two ways I would go with your project. My favorite would be to get the HyWay 353 piston and cylinder kit with the popup piston, do a gasket delete and a .023 or so squish. I take the adaptor block on the 350 and with a flat piece of plate steel, sand it down flat on the top to give me the squish I want....it also gives a flatter surface then stock to do the gasket delete. The saw I did this to using the stock cylinder with the HyWay popup using a 18 inch .325 chisel is very impressive and keeps up with my 61 Husky easily. My second choice would be to turn the 350 into a 346 hybrid by purchasing a stock OEM 346 top end, and do the same gasket delete and squish etc. I did this as well, but got a great deal ($29) on an aftermarket closed port top end for a 346 so went that route instead of OEM. The aftermarket top end performs well, but I haven't done a lot of cutting with it to really evaluate it, and can't tell it if it is as good as the OEM 346. Of the two I like the 353 with pop up better as it seems to have more torque at lower RPM. I just get cheap aftermarket mufflers, but make sure to get a 346 style muffler brace and modify it for the 350. Also use locktite on the muffler bolts. On my 353 with popup, I cut a slice in the right side of the muffler and tapped the inner side with a hammer and pryed the outer side out to make an opening for a cheap muffler mod. It may or may not add power, but it sure is LOUD. Have fun with your project. I've got 3 more 350's I'm going to attack next fall and will likely go with 353 kits. Also don't forget to replace the plastic carburetor clamp with a steel one. Barry

I second the oe 346xp top end swap. Doesn't matter what you do to a 353 cylinder or an aftermarket 346 cylinder the oe out shines them all even with minimal work. Squish can be taken down to .020" if you have an accurate way to measure it. Just that a timing advance and muff mod really wakes them up. You'll also have to ditch the limiters on the carb, so you can adjust it properly.

Not mine a neighbors. For me a $40,50 charge and get them a running saw back the dealer told them to trash is priceless.
The aftermarket cylinder doesn't hold a candle when compared to the OEM 346 piston and cylinder. I've done a couple for family and friends, and I always get the same response, why didn't Husky do this in the first place?

No, I bought the OEM $94 kit. Couldn't see the $30 more for a 44.3. Took probably 2 hrs. to clean everything up, bar groove probably .075/.080 and depth gauges never lowered

No, I bought the OEM $94 kit. Couldn't see the $30 more for a 44.3. Took probably 2 hrs. to clean everything up, bar groove probably .075/.080 and depth gauges never lowered
If you had done the reading that's available, you'd have spent that $30, in my humble opinion.

That is the kit I bought and my original first question asked about. I didn't want to fix saw and give back a lesser quality than it was. This didn't need to be built to the upmost extreme and cost. Some of my guys pass on a $17 -33rs for a $14 carlton chain.

Back