Husqvarna 365 special rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.STIHL036

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been given a project saw to work on in my high school forestry program. The saw in question a 2004 model husky 365 special with a burned piston loads of parts are missing from it because we've used it as a parts saw for a year. the key parts missing are the carb the piston/cylinder and muffler some nuts and bolts and the top cover is some what broken. I was wondering if i could possibly modify it into an x-torq and use a 372 xp style hd filter and top cover if not i'd most likely rebuild with stock parts but here the school is paying for parts. I just want to know if it's worth rebuilding this saw

yeah i did notice that i lined a 2065 to my 2172 and there looks like an inch difference maybe the larger top handle from the x-torq might have to be in order i think the mounting holes from a 372xpxt could line up unless the cran
kcase is different

Not sure if you can install a XT top end on a regular XP crankcase but you can install a 372 xp top end or a NWP big bore kit from Baileys. The 372xp top cover and HD filter are a direct bolt on upgrade.

you can, but you have to swap out the carb also. crankcase is all the same.

the carb from the 365 is in one of the three other specials we have all working just fine. the only down side is that i have to put a 16'' bar on this beast wish i could use an 18'' but they wont let us

The X-torque cylinder will be very expensive and there is no aftermarket available, even if it is on your school's coin. Presumably, if you're saying the crank case is the same, you will the upper plastics to fit over the taller cylinder. Hopefully u get someone like spike up in here to clear this up.

digging around the shop i found an old 1997 model jonsered 2065 yes thats correct a 97 on the plate with a cracked case and a good piston and cylinder. the new plan is put the jug and piston from that saw on the husky also i noticed the starter cover needs replacing so i plan to use a jonsered starter cover and cylinder cover to complete it along with a carb from a 372xp

That will make for an interesting looking saw but it should work just fine, plus it will cut your cost to the price of a few gaskets. To save even more, go to a local auto parts store and get a couple rolls of gasket material and make your own.

That will make for an interesting looking saw but it should work just fine, plus it will cut your cost to the price of a few gaskets. To save even more, go to a local auto parts store and get a couple rolls of gasket material and make your own.

If the squish is right, you dont even need a cylinder gasket, just a good sealer like Dirko HT. I have been using the white John Deere sealer for 2 years and zero failures or problems.

This is why I shoulda been from northern Maine. Nothin like that down here. Give me a chainsaw to play with in school and I'da had straight A's :rock:

This is why I shoulda been from northern Maine. Nothin like that down here. Give me a chainsaw to play with in school and I'da had straight A's :rock:

I dont live in northern Maine anymore i live near Bethel now and we have a forestry program in oxford hills and Rumford. Yeah i hear ya it's nice to run a saw in high school even though they don't sell you the saws at the end of class that's why i bought my 2172. we even have a skidder and dozer to learn on

Back