Husqvarna 44 and 444 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been lurking for a couple of years on here and find pretty much everything I needed to learn how to get saws up and running. Even tried my hand at doing some mild porting.

I resurected a little Husky 44 Practica, and love it. Opened the ports a bit and upped the compression. Love using it.

I fell in love with the little 44, and couldn't stick with one. I found a 444 locally for sale that was not running but had compression. I was hoping to end up with at least a good jug and piston with the closed port design to swap onto my 44. I found out the all the 444 needed was a coil. Piston is perfect. Woo Hoo.
The saw is in good shape. doesn't look like it was used that much.

I swapped the good coil from the 44 onto the 444 and now the 444 is up and running. Love it.

Now I really want to get the 44 up and running again but need a coil.

Does anyone know what coil can swap onto this saw ?

I think any electronics ignition coil will work, as long at it will physically fit into the stock location.

Thats the problem. I do not know what will fit in there.
The recess where the coil mounts is too tight to mount just any coil.

The best fit i think would be a coil from a 55 (They fit a variety of saws 261, 262 272)
However, I don't want to go guying coils to see if they will work. It's too worth that many $ to me.

Is there someone out there who swapped coils into these saws.

I tried a few poulan coils from Weedeaters with no luck at this point.
I removed the laminated steel core from the original dead coil and reassembled into the poulan coils.
It seems whatever I do I cannot get a really good spark. I get some spark, but not enough for the saw to run. It might be because I am damaging the coils in the process.
i cannot get a McCollock or a Ryobi coil to fit in there. i also tried a coil from a craftsman chainsaw, that had a coil that appears the same as the coil from a weedeater. (They are both poulan coils.)
It is not a timing issue. I have removed the crank key, and can set the timing with a timing light. There is enough spark to trigger the light.

Thank You to any who reply.
I know there are a few out there who enjoy these saws.

When swapping coils around, one thing to take note of (beside the mounting dimensions) is the spacing and radius of the two poles on the coil and the magnets on the flywheel, they should be a similar distance apart to work right.

All the 44's I've seen have not just a coil but also a little module that looks much like one of the generic Nova or Atom ones, that could also be the issue. Not sure if the Nova's would work but for the $10 or so they cost it might be worth a shot.

Bill

Hi All,

Been lurking for a couple of years on here and find pretty much everything I needed to learn how to get saws up and running. Even tried my hand at doing some mild porting.

I resurected a little Husky 44 Practica, and love it. Opened the ports a bit and upped the compression. Love using it.

I fell in love with the little 44, and couldn't stick with one. I found a 444 locally for sale that was not running but had compression. I was hoping to end up with at least a good jug and piston with the closed port design to swap onto my 44. I found out the all the 444 needed was a coil. Piston is perfect. Woo Hoo.
The saw is in good shape. doesn't look like it was used that much.

I swapped the good coil from the 44 onto the 444 and now the 444 is up and running. Love it.

Now I really want to get the 44 up and running again but need a coil.

Does anyone know what coil can swap onto this saw ?

I think any electronics ignition coil will work, as long at it will physically fit into the stock location.

Thats the problem. I do not know what will fit in there.
The recess where the coil mounts is too tight to mount just any coil.

The best fit i think would be a coil from a 55 (They fit a variety of saws 261, 262 272)
However, I don't want to go guying coils to see if they will work. It's too worth that many $ to me.

Is there someone out there who swapped coils into these saws.

I tried a few poulan coils from Weedeaters with no luck at this point.
I removed the laminated steel core from the original dead coil and reassembled into the poulan coils.
It seems whatever I do I cannot get a really good spark. I get some spark, but not enough for the saw to run. It might be because I am damaging the coils in the process.
i cannot get a McCollock or a Ryobi coil to fit in there. i also tried a coil from a craftsman chainsaw, that had a coil that appears the same as the coil from a weedeater. (They are both poulan coils.)
It is not a timing issue. I have removed the crank key, and can set the timing with a timing light. There is enough spark to trigger the light.

Thank You to any who reply.
I know there are a few out there who enjoy these saws.

One of our sponsors have one complete,

Chainsawr Husqvarna 44 Rancher Chainsaw Ignition Coil

Was this th one recently sold on Kijiji about a week ago? They come up sometimes if you willing to keep looking. Try posting an add locally looking for a coil, you'd be surprised how many are in this little province of ours. They seemed to have been used a lot in the pulpwood industry, small saw that really turned up at the time.

Flywheel Magnets

Thanks for the replies Guys !

Have been tinkering a bit more on the 444.

I am pretty certain that the polarity of the two magnets on the flywheel play a role in getting a good spark.

The flywheel on this 444 has a North Pole in front of the South pole. (North moving past the coil first)

The poulan coils I have been using have a South pole magnet in front of the North (opposite).

There is spark, but nothing compared to the original coil that works well. (I have one good working coil between two saws)

I got the saw running with the poulan coil, but it quits after 1 or two cuts.

There is nothing wrong with the poulan coils, as I have tried two and get the same result. I can but them back on the weedeater and get a good spark.
If I let it sit for a while it will run for a 30 seconds again. I think the amount of spark I am getting is just borderline enough to get it to run, when it does run.

I should note that this saw has the blue module (Preflux?) and no separate ignition module.

Interesting:

I saw another post where the guy swapped in a Mccolloch coil to get his 44 running.

I have a couple of Eager beaver trimmers made by Mac, and these flywheels have North before South magnets, like the Husky 44.
Unfortunately I cannot get these coils to fit phsically in the stock coil location to try them.

Yes, I got it on Kajiji

If I have to put any $ into it I doubt it will be worth it !

Came with three chains - one was brand new, the other two chains I think were 0.63 and run on the 0.58 bar and are toast.

Nye

Latest posts

Back