Husqvarna 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montiel44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m new on the foro.
I have a husqvarna 440 chainsaw I got it from a friend it was broke I replace the cylinder and carburetor now turns on but doesn’t go full throttle also I notice a noise I’m not sure if is normal.
Also has a new spark plug and fuel filter.

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a short video of it running and trying to go full throttle? What part of Georgia are you in? Be Safe!

I’m located in Toccoa GA, thanks for your help!
Cool , I’m in Cedar Springs,southwest Georgia. Have you checked the spark screen on the muffler ,it could be plugged not letting it breathe. Is the sprocket spinning ,I could not tell in the video? What are the H L set at ? Try opening up the H jet some more.

Nice you are very close to Panama City.
The spark screen looks clean, the sprocket is spinning I had to short the video because it was to long and the server didn’t let me upload, I don’t know what are the setting for H and L. I’ll try to open H more.

Sounds like it is not getting gas. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about 440 will chime in. I know just enough to be dangerous. :innocent:

Fuel lines looks good.
How can I check for air leaks ?
Spray carb cleaner wile is running ?
Also I lost my set of screws driver for the carburetor, I move a year ago and I can’t find them.
I’m ordering another set

If you have a pressure-vac tester, you can pressurize the crankcase and spray soapy water at the crankcase halves, and crank seals and look for bubbles. When you replaced the cylinder, did you replace the piston as well? If it was blown up, do know what the original cause of failure was? If it overheated, the crank seals are probably toast.

Yes I replaced the cylinder. I didn’t know what was the cause of failure, the guy who gave it to me didn’t know exactly he said that he forgot to put mixer in the gas to me it looks like it overheated

Attachments

• 526602F5-B797-40E6-9D80-5DD912EA238A.jpeg
    526602F5-B797-40E6-9D80-5DD912EA238A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • A80C115D-CCE4-4803-A55A-BA00B1711DA6.jpeg
    A80C115D-CCE4-4803-A55A-BA00B1711DA6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 877B8360-EE77-4F95-8312-A433F7EA213A.jpeg
    877B8360-EE77-4F95-8312-A433F7EA213A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hello everyone I’m new on the foro.
I have a husqvarna 440 chainsaw I got it from a friend it was broke I replace the cylinder and carburetor now turns on but doesn’t go full throttle also I notice a noise I’m not sure if is normal.
Also has a new spark plug and fuel filter.
Can I ask what it cost for parts and time to make the repairs & Maintenance that you did?

Can I ask what it cost for parts and time to make the repairs & Maintenance that you did?
I got a aftermarket cylinder kit from Amazon was like $40 I’m just trying to learn and I didn’t know if is gone a work so I didn’t want to buy oem parts, I don’t remember how much I paid for the carburetor I ordered long time ago but it came with spark plug and fuel filter, and I think I spend like 2 hours to replace the cylinder and piston.

You can get new OEM crank seals for the saw for ~$15, I’d recommend replacing them. He must have not run the saw long on straight gas, that piston looks near perfect, and could almost definitely be reused. I’ve seen a lot worse on other saws. Here’s a bad example out of a CS-440. image.jpg You can also usually tell if it got really hot by bluing/ discoloration on the connecting rod end of the crankshaft.image.jpg

Aftermarket carbs also aren’t always the best quality, you might refit and test the saw with the OEM one.

I got a aftermarket cylinder kit from Amazon was like $40 I’m just trying to learn and I didn’t know if is gone a work so I didn’t want to buy oem parts, I don’t remember how much I paid for the carburetor I ordered long time ago but it came with spark plug and fuel filter, and I think I spend like 2 hours to replace the cylinder and piston.
I have been using "reconditioned" Husqvarna 435s (I have 4) and 440s (I have 2) since 2012. I use them for limbing, PCT, and cutting up smaller trees. I'm 72 years old and need a lighter saw when I'm not just bucking. I don't have your skills but can cannibalize parts as needs. One 435 died at 100 tanks of gas. The other saws are still going and one 435 is at 178 tanks of gas. I just bought my second 440 through the deal below with CPO outlets (note prices change and they have sales). I got it for $173 plus Washington State sales tax which pushed it up to $193 with free shipping. It looked brand new, came with a new chain and a bar that may have been used once. It started easily and runs great. The current price at my Lowes store for a new 440 is $359 plus tax. I use eth free prem gas and either Echo, Stihl or Husky engine oil. If you need another saw, you might want to consider a reconditioned Husky.

DealNews® Alert!
Don't miss a Deal. Follow: Follow us on Facebook Follow us on twitter Get DealNews for: iPhone Android
Certified Refurb Husqvarna 41cc 2.4 HP Gas 18" Chain Saw for $173 + free shipping
Shop Now!
mail
Outdoor Power Equipment
mail
eBay
Get this price via coupon ocde "SAVE15REFURB". You'd pay over $200 elsewhere. Buy Now at eBay
Tips
  • This is a certified refurbished item backed by a 2-year warranty from Allstate.
Features
  • auto chain oiler
  • anti kickback
  • quick-release air filter
  • Model: 967166001

Posted: September 26, 2022 5:26am Share with facebook Share with twitter Share with email

I have been using "reconditioned" Husqvarna 435s (I have 4) and 440s (I have 2) since 2012. I use them for limbing, PCT, and cutting up smaller trees. I'm 72 years old and need a lighter saw when I'm not just bucking. I don't have your skills but can cannibalize parts as needs. One 435 died at 100 tanks of gas. The other saws are still going and one 435 is at 178 tanks of gas. I just bought my second 440 through the deal below with CPO outlets (note prices change and they have sales). I got it for $173 plus Washington State sales tax which pushed it up to $193 with free shipping. It looked brand new, came with a new chain and a bar that may have been used once. It started easily and runs great.
Seems like a good deal, shipped.

How do you track the # of tanks you’ve run through them? That’s good record keeping!

Seems like a good deal, shipped.

How do you track the # of tanks you’ve run through them? That’s good record keeping!
I have a spiral binder where I track my vehicle mileage for business. Where I have multiple saws of the same model (ie husky 435, I number them). When I write down my business mileage, if I have used a saw that day, I write down the saw model / number and then the cumulative total of tanks of gas used for the saw. I also keep track of any maintenance (ie new spark plug or air filter) and repairs to saws in a different binder. My 435/440 Huskys eat a lot of "chain wear plates". It is a soft metal molded plate that is on the engine side of the bar. They are cheap and easy to replace but I like to see how long they last.

Tracking tanks of gas lets me know how long the saws last and also allows me to rotate saws if there are some I'm not using.

Latest posts

Back