Husqvarna 440e VERY hard to pull start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 49 husky hangs from rope. Does not move down. I have cleaned exhaust port which was clean. With plug removed pulls smooth and easy. Acts like hydraulic lock but isn't. Cylinder is clear. I have a 445 which has compression release, but with not releasing, this 49 is harder than 445 not using release. 49 saw worked okay 2 weeks ago. Have changed plug. Still no go. Have taken bar and chain off with brake. Still no go. Looking thru exhaust port, cylinder and piston look okay. Weird.

just got on hand a used husqvarna 135 x-torq and it has exactly the same problem as the OP has. i have been trying to get it started since i got it 4 days ago and no luck at all, in fact today, the starter rope recoil pulley broke off due to so many tries of hard starting it. took off the exhaust to view inside, everything is clean and no signs of scoring. spark arrestor is very clean as well just like new. i looked at the top of the piston from the spark plug hole and shows getting wet but not flooded. the spark plug is showing good spark and if i crank it without the plug, it is just a breeze. the problem is that cranking it feels like a bigger saw that has the decompression valve that if you forget to push it in, your crank will be so difficult. the last thing i can think of is the carburetor so i have placed an order for a repair kit, besides the broken starter rope recoil pulley to get it up and running agaom. what do you guys suggest?

thanks for the prompt reply buzz sawyer. going to have a look at it now. but i am not so well versed on mechanical things but would like to learn. how do i go about to set the timing?

the image below are the actual photos taken now. the key is not the removable kind. the key is not on the shaft but i think it is part of the flywheel but doesn't look high enough to mate in to the groove on the shaft.

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
Looking inside the flywheel taper, it almost looks like it spun a little. Could you tell if the key was lined up with the slot on the crank?
The key is there only to align the flywheel. Clean the tapers of any oil, align the key area with the slot in the crank and reassemble. You can make a small notch with a file on the end of the shaft in line with the slot to get the alignment right.

got it mounted already and i am pretty sure the key mated with the groove on the shaft perfectly because the protruding thread on the shaft would be short if it doesn't sink all the way in.....but just the same, it is still hard pulling on the rope as if there is so much compression inside, like hydro lock. i have pulls that the starter handle comes loose off my hand as it retracts the rope back to the coil so forcefully that i feel can break the case cover if the handle hits it. by the way, the rope spool is already broken inside because of the strong retraction. could there be problem with the carburetor? that is the last thing i suspect now. to be honest, i have never bled my middle finger starting a chainsaw but with this one it did and my fingers and arm are already sore.

I have a 450 which I think is basically just a bigger 440. A while after I got my 450 years ago, you would go to start the saw and it was like the starter was slipping, then it would catch, slip, catch, etc. Not sure that is what is going on with yours or anything but ended up being 2 of the 4 recoil cover bolts vibrated out and the 2 remaining screws were loose. I installed new bolts and no more issue. Just thought I would mention it.

Back