Husqvarna 445 Need Some Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chev727

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a new Husqvarna 445, came with an 18" bar, I was thinking of switching it to a 16" but wanted some opinions on it and what chain to use, I mostly cut jack pine, poplar, birch, and spruce

Id also like to muffler mod it once its broken in a bit, any suggestions on how to do that, I dont want to over do it, I took it apart and noticed its hollow inside the muffler

anything else I can do to this saw to improve it?

16" bar with either chisel or semi-chisel non safety chain. The 445 is a nice, solid feeling little saw. It doesn't have a cat muffler, so modding the muffler will produce only modest gains. It's light, smooth, decently strong, and pretty quiet. I'd leave it alone

Is there any one chain you'd recommend? I'd probably have to order a stihl, but can find oregon locally, at most I was thinking of removing the spark arrestor if that would help at all, also need to find a place to order the tool to adjust the carb at a decent price, local shop wouldn't sell me one

On a saw of that size I like a 18" bar for the extra reach. Dont know if you have other saws or not. For me that size is just a limber. Though my cs-400 runs a 16" power sharp as a knock around saw and stays in the back of the jeep with a quart of bar oil and a few cans of true fuel.

Only saw I have at the moment, might pick up a stihl 340 for $40 tomorrow, I like the 18" reach but think it might help the saw cut faster with a 16"? I plan to use it for firewood and making atv trails in the summer, most of the trees wont be any bigger than a 13-14" at most

Is there any one chain you'd recommend? I'd probably have to order a stihl, but can find oregon locally, at most I was thinking of removing the spark arrestor if that would help at all, also need to find a place to order the tool to adjust the carb at a decent price, local shop wouldn't sell me one
I got mine (435) on eBay, search for a "Poulan carb tool", seems I paid $5, but been a couple of years.

I like Oregon LPX chain. Guy on eBay sells notched brass rods that work well to adjust the carb (mine required no adjustment for 4 years until I started messing with oil ratios). It'll cut 13" wood fine with good sharp chain

i wouldn't run anything larger than a 16 on it i played with one and the oiler had trouble keeping the 18 oiled.
good power though and nimble.

Thanks guys, ordered a carb tool off ebay for $11, just waiting for it to come in now, soon as this chain and bar combo needs replacing ill switch it over to 16". I did notice it doesn't put out a lot of oil for the 18"

Like others have mentioned I would not use anything longer than a 16 bar.Limited power for one and minimum oiling for the other. I did a muffler mod on mine and it was a small improvement. Other than that it is a great saw for the price. ken

Latest posts

Back