Husqvarna 445 vs Poulan 4620 both remanufactured on EBAY cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw was a 4620 and to be honest, it has been a great homeowner firewood saw. Like many have said, it may be over-barred a little from the factory, but I bought a 295 muffler, opened it up some, tuned the carb, and replaced the tool-less AVX clutch cover with the traditional style AV version, and the saw is a totally different machine now. My in-laws are Stihl junkies, and they have all been impressed with my "junk" saw. I wouldn't trade it for any of their saws. I don't cut 50 cord of firewood annually, and I know there are larger/faster saws for more production, but bang for the buck, I love mine. It is my go to saw. I would love to try some Huskies sometime, but I really feel like the 562 would be the one I would buy. I have never tried the 445, so I have no true side by side review, but if anybody has one they would let me borrow for a review, I would be happy to give an unbiased opinion.

Nick

My first saw was a 4620 and to be honest, it has been a great homeowner firewood saw. Like many have said, it may be over-barred a little from the factory, but I bought a 295 muffler, opened it up some, tuned the carb, and replaced the tool-less AVX clutch cover with the traditional style AV version, and the saw is a totally different machine now. My in-laws are Stihl junkies, and they have all been impressed with my "junk" saw. I wouldn't trade it for any of their saws. I don't cut 50 cord of firewood annually, and I know there are larger/faster saws for more production, but bang for the buck, I love mine. It is my go to saw. I would love to try some Huskies sometime, but I really feel like the 562 would be the one I would buy. I have never tried the 445, so I have no true side by side review, but if anybody has one they would let me borrow for a review, I would be happy to give an unbiased opinion.

Nick
The difference those mods make are significant. I've had my 2775 for a while now - my dad bought it new and gave it to me because it basically didn't work. At first it barely ran until I pulled the limiter caps and adjusted it properly. It cut kind of OK for a while, but it was always slow. But with the MM and a better chain it's really a different saw now. For my uses it's a great tool.

Guido, in my opinion and experience, is right on. cc's/3=bar length. Now, to get a job done, to use something you have rather than buy new, that's different. Even tried the reach/less stooping argument, and found that you end up over matching the saw more than you reach.
A disciplined woodcutter like Mike can do many things with a saw. My plan evolved into having more than two saws, before I got here and found out I didn't have enough saws.

It also depends on the type of wood your cutting. If its softwood a 20" will likely do fine but put it into hardwood and a 16 will likely do better.

I'm not really up to speed on the 4620 but it seems to be a pretty nice saw.
I don't think you are hurt spending $100.00 and having a good running saw.
Why did you replace the flywheel? It doesn't really NEED that key anyway.

Mike

The key on the flywheel was sheared, I don't know how it happened, that is how I got it. I tried hard to not replace the flywheel by lining it up and cranking down the retaining nut but it moved a bit each time. The saw pulls hard to start, harder than the 372 w/o using the decompression so I fear it will shear the key again. At least I know it must have good compression!

A lot has changed since this post was started back in Jan of 2012. Heck I have acquired 4 of the 295's.
One I modified the heck out of within my skill level. I am still liking them 295's. Have never run a Husky 445.

This thread should be re-titled 'My love of the Junksaw' lol. l was recently given a Talon 55cc 'mountain hawk' from a nieghbour cause it stopped running. l cleaned it up and cleaned the carb, removed limiters, muff modd and retune, reset starter recoil, replaced oil line.....now she runs like a top! He's not expecting it back but l have lots of saws and he's got none so l'll give it back to him. But l must say these are a lot of saw for the dollars compared to the big TWO its just sad that when they stop running its not worth paying anyone to fix them so unless you are mechanically minded sadly alot of these saws end up in the trash with minor problems. l kinda like this saw now that its been given some tlc.

I got a poulan 295 in a package deal. I had replaced the flywheel on it before I ended up with it. It also had a sheared key. I felt it had way to much bar for its size and installed a new ajustable chainbrake cover and installed a 13in. bar. after a muffler mod it made a good little trim saw.

Latest posts

Back