Husqvarna 455 Rancher or 460 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather buy a used MM'd Husqvarna 55 than a 455 or 460 rancher. The weight, magnesium case, similar power and price would be hard to beat. The 55 just feels better IMO and is half the price somewhere in the $150-250 usually.

For 20 inch wood you won't need a lot of saw. Anything in the semipro/farmer to pro class 50-70cc will make you happy if you know how to keep a chain sharp:D. The recommendation of nmurph was definitely a good one.
Personally I believe that you get much more for your money from the second line players(Dolmar = Makita, Echo, Efco = Oleo Mac, Hitachi = Tanaka, Solo) than from the major players(Stihl or Husqvarna=Jonsered). Although you don't get the prestige coming with the major players, which is important for some.
If you want a 60cc saw the best deal at the moment, in my eyes, is the Echo 590. Great engine and build quality for little money. If you want to spend a little more get the Echo 600p(same engine with a little better attachments all around), Efco 165 or Makita 6421.
If you want used you can find a lot of deals out there, but as I said above the used market follows the same rules. You get much more saw for your money from the second line players.

Good luck!

Depending on dealer $500 puts you solidly in Dolmar 5105 or Efco 156/165 territory.Both of which will handle 20" wood(steady diet of it though may be a little hard on you),they are Pro grade saws considered second tier by some.I'll take a second tier saw and a first rate dealer over the vise-versa every time.Forget the big box stuff.When you buy from and support a GOOD dealer you are getting expertiese that you are not likely to get from the big box store.Especially on your return trips for odds,ends,bits and pieces that you will undoubtably need.

Last edited:
Get yourself an Efco 156. Minor price jump from the Husqvarna (depending on the deal) BUT you get much more power, 5 year warranty, a pro level bar from the factory, a metal bodied saw and its much lighter. The oilers are a constant issue on 455/460 saws, I deal with them all the time. Everyone loves my rental 156 and I've never had a warranty return on any of them we sold. The design isn't as hyper modern as it could be, but they just plain WORK.

Latest posts

Back