Husqvarna 460 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I return the Husky 460?

• Yes

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

Trapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
During one of those Cyber Monday online deals, I got a Husky 460 with the 24" bar for $420 including tax and shipping.

While this chainsaw would not be my first choice if my budget was not limited I'm still questioning this purchase and considering returning this saw purely based on the reviews from this forum.

The confusing part is that the Rancher line has fairly good reviews on Amazon with the occasional common issues, but somehow around here buying one of those is the biggest mistake one can make.

I understand that the 24" inch bar is too big for this saw and I was planning on getting an 18" bar and keeping the 24" as a backup.

So, should I return it and get something else? (Echo 590 ?) But what do I get for $400 that would make the hassle of returning the 460 worth it?

The saw will be used for some firewood, camping and small work around my cabin.

BTW, I'm not looking for a used saw as this would be my first chainsaw and I prefer a good warranty. Is the Echo Timberwolf so much better, to pay few extra bucks for it? What else is out there around the $400?

I have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. It's a good saw. It'll run a 24" bar through softer woods like pines and aspens (I see you're in Idaho. I'm in Utah, so similar cutting). It is better with a 20" bar on it, though. It's a reliable saw as well. In fact, it's the easiest saw to start that I own. Regardless of temps or how long it's been sitting, I put the choke on and in two pulls, it fires. The rest of the day it'll fire and run on the first pull, almost every time. Is it a pro saw? No. But, you aren't going to get a pro saw at $400, unless you buy used. If I were you, I'd keep the Rancher. I have much better saws, power-wise, but the Rancher is a good all-around saw.

I have a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. It's a good saw. It'll run a 24" bar through softer woods like pines and aspens (I see you're in Idaho. I'm in Utah, so similar cutting). It is better with a 20" bar on it, though. It's a reliable saw as well. In fact, it's the easiest saw to start that I own. Regardless of temps or how long it's been sitting, I put the choke on and in two pulls, it fires. The rest of the day it'll fire and run on the first pull, almost every time. Is it a pro saw? No. But, you aren't going to get a pro saw at $400, unless you buy used. If I were you, I'd keep the Rancher. I have much better saws, power-wise, but the Rancher is a good all-around saw.

Thanks for the feedback. Any experience with using this saw at higher elevation around 7000'?

From your usage, I'd say keep it. Not worth the return hassle. If I was buying a new saw today, I'd buy the Echo CS-590. The Husky 450-455-460 get a bad rap because they are homeowner clamshells with a pretty steep price tag. Nothing wrong with a clamshell, though - if you take care of it and don't abuse it - it will last a very long time.

The Echo fan club will be along shortly and they wont like that! :laugh:

The 460 isn't a bad saw at all, but I'd much rather have a 555 and it should be a whole lot more money.

They cannot complain about my comment unless the world of fantasy has taken over. I've ran both saws and neither of them were tired or wrong. I even think the 455 rancher is about equal to the 590 in the wood.

I'm not saying echo sucks or anything like that. I'm talking about the 590.

I was looking at new saws today, the 555 is a LOT more than the 460. I've been thinking of buying a 460 my self...

SR

I have a 455 Rancher. It was a gift from my dad. It is not a total POS like you would think from what you hear about them. The only trouble I have had from it is a broken fuel line. I have had it a few years now. The 288 gets the big stuff and the 455 handles a lot if the light work...

The 460 gets a low ratings around here because many compare its power and weight to a pro saw of the same displacement. It's no barn burner but not junk by any means.

I'd keep it but it would be much better suited to a 16 or 18 inch bar unless you occasionally need to cut a large tree.

Never had a single problem outta the 460 Rancher I've got...been a very dependable saw. Can say the same for the 445 I have as well. Had them a few years, of course I don't tax a saw like some of you guys do, climate dictates that...they haven't missed a beat yet.

Right now the 460 rancher is my only saw. I use it to cut both soft and hard woods up to about 20-25" dbh trees. I have had mine two years now bought it new and the only issue I have had with it is the oiler leaks a little other then that It cuts everything I have given it. The 24" bar is a bit long for it if your getting into hard woods. Go with an 18 or 20" *i run the 20" bar* it likely comes with the safety chain might as well throw that in the garbage can and get a couple loops of Oregon lgx. It's a good dependable saw for falling my east coast little trees, limbing them and bucking them down. Just make sure you tune it for your elevation *asjust the mixture screws*. If your chains are filed as. Aggressive as mine then you only need a light touch going through the wood to pull big chips as a heavy hand will bog it. :) I use mine everyday 5-7 hours a day this time of year

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

455 was the first saw I have purchased...used the it for cutting 10 or so cords of firewood a year. It ran great. Not the fastest cutting machine in the world...only problem I have had with it...exhaust seemed To burn through the chain brake handle when cutting larger stuff, and closer to the wood. Figured out quickly why my hand was getting hot...lol. I did pick mine up used. I have put two seasons on it...used it for most anything under 20"....second saw I purchased was a 2100cd for a 36" bar for the bigger stuff.

455 was the first saw I have purchased...used the it for cutting 10 or so cords of firewood a year. It ran great. Not the fastest cutting machine in the world...only problem I have had with it...exhaust seemed To burn through the chain brake handle when cutting larger stuff, and closer to the wood. Figured out quickly why my hand was getting hot...lol. I did pick mine up used. I have put two seasons on it...used it for most anything under 20"....second saw I purchased was a 2100cd for a 36" bar for the bigger stuff.
Jeez what a collection of saws in that sig...I'd hafta have another 24x32 shop just to put the damn things in, lol.

Latest posts

Back