Husqvarna 50 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danger Dan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Back in the 80's we were selling a Husqvarna 50 Magnum. This saw was created in Charlotte, NC by the Husqvarna Distributor owned by Jim Thompson, The guy that made Husqvarna as far as I'm concerned. They brought in Partner 5000 cylinders and pistons and put them on 50 Rancher (the old white top) saws. These saws were awesome. The first one I received we got out of the box on Thursday and blew the competition out of the water on Saturday at the Races. Back then we had Chainsaw competition's on monthly bases. Husqvarna Sweden made them stop building them in the states. We built some ourselves after they stopped. It was a simple bolt on with no modifying at all. Someday I'll tell you more about the old Husqvarna distributors that made Huqvarna what they are today.

Saw this post awhile ago and decided to build one to see how it runs. Found a decent 50 Rancher and a Jonny 490 P&C on ebay. Going to port the jug and clean up the piston before I install them.

Pulled the original jug and piston and prepped the 490 setup:

Cleaned and opened up the piston. Most of the grinding was done on the inside, so as to remove any sharp edges to help improve flow:

Raised and widened the exhaust port. There's not a lot of material on the exhaust nozzle that can be removed without punching through:

Widened the intake, raised and angled the transfers a bit:

So you replaced the open port cilinder with a closed port? Will they fit on the husky 55 bottom?

Don't tell anyone, but the bottom half of the Husky 50, 51 and 55 are all the same.

There were some 45mm closed port cylinders that came on EPA 51's and 55's, but they are no where neat the performance of the 44mm cylinders. The combustion chambers on the 490-partner 5000 cylinders are what makes them shine

The regular 50 has a slightly smaller bolt pattern and a smaller cylinder opening. 51 & 55 cylinders will not go right on a 50 case.
Good work Dan. Waiting to see more.....Bob......:popcorn:

The regular 50 has a slightly smaller bolt pattern and a smaller cylinder opening. 51 & 55 cylinders will not go right on a 50 case.
Good work Dan. Waiting to see more.....Bob......:popcorn:

Bob:
You are so wrong the 50,51,55, & rancher 55 all have the same crankcase & cylinder gasket, part#503 16 21-03.
Just to set the record straight.
:cry:

Checked the port timing:

Ex. opens 100' ATDC
Xfer. opens 119' ATDC
In. opens 80' ABDC

Don't tell anyone, but the bottom half of the Husky 50, 51 and 55 are all the same.

There were some 45mm closed port cylinders that came on EPA 51's and 55's, but they are no where neat the performance of the 44mm cylinders. The combustion chambers on the 490-partner 5000 cylinders are what makes them shine

Stang,
You make a good point... the combustion chambers are Hemi's.

The original muffler was cracked at the inlet...got lucky and found a nice dual port on ebay:

All done... a place for everything and everything in its place.
Swapped out the .325 sprocket for a 3/8, found an old Oregon 16" x 3/8 x 050 bar, (I think it weighs more than the power head) and put on a RS chain.

Latest posts

Back