Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look too impressive, no crank stuffers, no autotune, vertical cylinder with transfers on the side, heated handle appears to only be the rear handle? The choke and off switch are separate, it's more expensive than a 555, and even with the smaller engine only runs .325 as opposed to small 3/8
Max rpm only 14.5k rpm? The 242xp was 15.5k rpm ALL those years ago

Do you know what all those individual things are or are you just listing stats?

I kind of like the idea of no auto tune and no rev boost...

My trusty 346's don't have either and they are little beasts! :msp_smile:

Do you know what all those individual things are or are you just listing stats?

Yes, all the engine based differences influence the gas exchange speed, stuffers decrease volume of the crank, allowing higher compression when the ports open, whilst the ports going front to back on the 540/545/550/555/560/562 is a much shallower angle of direction change, creating less turbulence, heated handles are usually the front handle, carb adjustment and choke/stop lever is just preference

Yes, all the engine based differences influence the gas exchange speed, stuffers decrease volume of the crank, allowing higher compression when the ports open, whilst the ports going front to back on the 540/545/550/555/560/562 is a much shallower angle of direction change, creating less turbulence, heated handles are usually the front handle, carb adjustment and choke/stop lever is just preference

So how are all those things negatives without even running the saw?

So how are all those things negatives without even running the saw?

Because all the other ones of this range use this technology, it seems a bit of a regression for such a saw not to have this technology, when even the top handle does, and if they bring out a 540 ground saw, which they probably will for carvers and utilities and hedge layers (as the top handle ground saw things are, such as an ms200/201 or 339xp) it will render the 543 obsolete, as it'll have not the speed of the others, especially as this size saw is for these tasks.
As husqvarna have spent all this money in designing this tech too, I'd have thought they'd stick it on everything, like air injection, and the strato stuff

I see it a little different. Husqvarna buys a company that is light years ahead in technology, they incorporate a lot of stuff into their regular line. But they have a nice little saw that works about as good as it gets. So what do you do? Throw out a great saw and design something completely new for a market with a very moderate impact on business or use what they have and just redesign some plastic new. Just need a more pragmatic view to the situation.

While the 543 is a pretty neat saw, it will do more wonders selling the 545 on the shelf next to it - autotune, stuffed crank, or not. The tech in this saw - or not in this saw - isn't a real game changer IMO. If the 550 or 562 were lacking the latest tech, that'd be foolish. And the 543 will still be a slick saw serving a good purpose.

.... But they have a nice little saw that works about as good as it gets. So what do you do? Throw out a great saw and design something completely new for a market with a very moderate impact on business or use what they have and just redesign some plastic new. Just need a more pragmatic view to the situation.

Well, Zenoah surely didn't have the GZ4300. It likely is a joint venture between the brands, and the desisions are of course Huskys, even though much of the work obviously was left to Zenoah, including production (or at least assambly).

Another observation is that it isn't just some plastic and the color that is different between the Zenoah and the Husky versions.

While the 543 is a pretty neat saw, it will do more wonders selling the 545 on the shelf next to it - autotune, stuffed crank, or not. The tech in this saw - or not in this saw - isn't a real game changer IMO. If the 550 or 562 were lacking the latest tech, that'd be foolish. And the 543 will still be a slick saw serving a good purpose.

There isn't a stuffed crank in any of those models, as far as I know? :msp_sneaky:

Looks like a chinky saw, what's your verdict?

Define "chinky".

Looks to me the carb is split? Easy destarto.........

Been waiting a while for a metal case replacement for my 435 (as if the plastic case has failed me).

Does the 543 feel noticeably lighter than the 550? As much as I'd like a strong 40cc the weight would need to be less than a 550. I see it weighs 9.9 lbs but paper stats only tell so much.

Back