Husqvarna 55 scored cylinder replace or repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I posted a question regarding new top end kits and a few of you thought the cylinder might be salvageable so here are a few pictures. It does appear that it is mostly built up carbon and aluminum from the piston as it melted from no oil in the gas. Give me some advice and how to proceed. Thanks again in advance you all are awesome!
View attachment 280455View attachment 280456

So I posted a question regarding new top end kits and a few of you thought the cylinder might be salvageable so here are a few pictures. It does appear that it is mostly built up carbon and aluminum from the piston as it melted from no oil in the gas. Give me some advice and how to proceed. Thanks again in advance you all are awesome!
View attachment 280455View attachment 280456

Can't hurt to try and clean it up. Use some 320 wet paper and give it a little scuff and then degrease and hit it with some muratic acid. Heat the cylinder up to 250ish degrees before applying the acid and it really works well.

It's a little hard to tell from your pics, but the best I can tell, you can probably save that cylinder. Some guys use muriatic acid, I generally just start with 120 grit and work my way down to 400 grit with lots of elbow grease! Most of what I see there is aluminum transfer, as long as there aren't any gouges that go through the plating, you should be able to save it.

Back