Husqvarna 550 piston seized.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stgcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read about the 550 and 562 having issues with it running lean and burning up the saw. The other day my 550 just bit the dust. Wouldn't crank back up or anything. Took it to shop said no compression pulled the cylinder off and piston was seized. It's out of warranty and Husqvarna didn't wanna really even hear it when my dealer made the call to them. He is a small town dealer and has sold about 8 of them and 3 have came back with the same issue... wondering you guys input

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree a definitive proper conclusive diagnosis of cause needs to take place before this discussion takes place. Until then we're discussing a pie in the sky. Sorry to hear your saw seized out of warranty that really sucks. This model a few weak points that are 'prime' suspects however facts of cause are what's really needed. Press/vac test & fuel into a glass jar would be a good start.

my english might be bad, but i try my best...

pictures needed. ive seen this problem here in EU. 550xp is a very good saw when u are a "home hobby technician" (pro loggers here are just dumb*sses and wont care about their tools)

in times there were some updates to that saw line (545/550xp) and what might be the case here.
common problems here so far are:

*piston ring pin/stopper loose in piston after few (to 100) hours on it. result: wrecked Cylinder & Piston.

*crankcase gasket leakage. result: scored Piston & Cylinder

*cylinder gasket leakage(tightening bolts regurally is needed, by the client/owner also). result: scored Piston & Cylinder

*cylinder transfer covers and seals leakage. result: scored Piston & Cylinder.

*crankshaft or bearing failure, crank spins in bearing(no matter what side). result: bad vacum/pressure in crankcase. result: saw wont start, work properly when engine cold or warm. some had scored cylinder piston aswell.

*crankshaft lower needle bearing breaking, big tolerances. result: basically worst what u can imagine, seen also splitted rods. everything is possible :D:D

*crankshaft bearing breaking both sides. result: engine is permanently stopped. have seen also working ones, but these were only making some kind of dying noise.

*carb failures(maybe due a bad patch of fuel, maybe bad part from the carburettor supplier...). result: saw wont idle, rev up, or even start.

*heavy abuse of the saw, dull chain and large wood, very dirty chainsaw, low cooling effect, overheating - the engine/ECU do not now what to do. result: piston ring burns in piston groove due carbon

*have seen also a non quality JASO FB fuel mixig oil fail, due the lubrication and overheating - the engine/ECU also wont know what to do. result: piston ring burns in piston groove due carbon.

*have also seen after 150 hours, the worn out oil seals on both side of the crankcase. Result: saw wont idle, rew up, and some times scored piston & cylinder.

and yes im still a Husqvarna fanboy (still have the legendary old ones for me, to keep) :D

Back