Husqvarna 550xp Clutch Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What tool do I need to get the clutch off my 550xp?

The one I found on line for the 350, says it won't work on the 550xp, so what one will work??

Thanks for any help you can offer,

SR

If what I read is correct there was an old 3 shoe clutch and a newer 2 shoe clutch. Which you have will determine which tool you need. I have not seen any 550xp here in the shop so I don't know if the 450 2 shoe tool will work or not.

I got reply back from a fellow tech over on Husqvarna Answer Army site. The 502541603 clutch tool does works on the two shoe version. Image below is for reference only. It also fits the following Husqvarna 340, 345, 346, 350, 351, 353, 445, 450, 455, 460, 550xp

502541603.jpg

Thanks guys, mines the newer two shoe...that's what confused me, I didn't know the older models had three shoe clutches... That also explains why someone said the tool I looked wouldn't work with my 550xp. He must have had old info...

Thanks again,

SR

A socket could be made to look like that.

John
Maybe if you got a half day to waste. Getting that profile right would take a small die grinder. On the first use it a tight fit then loosens a little on repeated use.

A scrench and a good wack of a hammer is all you need
This is correct, just make sure compression release button is OUT. lt will take a few good wacks, don't give up if it does not free on the fist few hits.
So much easier and safer to just use the correct tools.

Maybe if you got a half day to waste. Getting that profile right would take a small die grinder. On the first use it a tight fit then loosens a little on repeated use.

So much easier and safer to just use the correct tools.
The clutch has the slots with arrows that shows you where to put the scrench and the direction to hit it for a reason.

The clutch has the slots with arrows that shows you where to put the scrench and the direction to hit it for a reason.

I have heard of people braking the clutch when hitting on it. But when the saw is stuck you gota do something. However, when in the shop the proper tool contacts the clutch in two or three places to distribute the force over more area.

View attachment 450369 It's worth learning to take these clutches with a hammer and scrench. One day you'll have a bar stuck and be glad.
That's a 3 shoe, but the 2 shoe has the same cutouts to fit a scrench.
This is how I've always done it. Works fine & never heard of anyone breaking a clutch this way.

So once I've knocked the clutch loose from my 500XP by hitting it with a hammer+screwdriver, how do I tighten it back on properly without the factory tool?

Hmm... kinetic tightening. That's hilarious. Does it need a chain to have enough momentum to get it tight when you hit the brake?

I have broken a clutch shoe on a 555 using the hammer and punch method.Without the special tool,what are you to do?

Back